GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,375
2 members and 2,373 guests
Cookiez17, Sciencewoman

Old 08-08-2012, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Yes, but he also referred to "PNMs", which makes it weird, because I'm pretty sure no NPC group is allowing this (as he mentioned in his example), and I don't know of any non-NPC groups that use that term.
There are a couple of organizations that use the term officially because "pledge" is still seen as taboo by some.

But dekeguy has been here long enough to know that there are multiple conferences/councils. If he meant "NPC," he should've typed that. I read his post as he wrote it.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2012, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
There are a couple of organizations that use the term officially because "pledge" is still seen as taboo by some.
Oh, I did not know that. Who else uses PNM?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
dekeguy asked if any "national sororities" allowed it. Some do.
Quote:
But dekeguy has been here long enough to know that there are multiple conferences/councils. If he meant "NPC," he should've typed that. I read his post as he wrote it.
Right. My concern was for the OP, or others like her, who may not know the difference and who may think pretty much solely in terms of the NPC when they think "sorority."

Your answer to dekeguy's question was certainly accurate. But in the context of this thread, where the OP appears to be asking about NPC sororities, it seemed like fuller explanation could be beneficial just so that the OP, and any others like her who may read the thread, are clear about the answers. That's all.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Right. My concern was for the OP, or others like her, who may not know the difference and who may think pretty much solely in terms of the NPC when they think "sorority."

Your answer to dekeguy's question was certainly accurate. But in the context of this thread, where the OP appears to be asking about NPC sororities, it seemed like fuller explanation could be beneficial just so that the OP, and any others like her who may read the thread, are clear about the answers. That's all.
Right. I would hope that members of other councils would show the kind of respect that is expected in threads that involve their organizations and not derail conversations about our policies and procedures. NPC recruitment has lots and lots of rules and our recruitment process is governed by those. Our recruitment is also unique in how time sensitive it is. If you don't manage to navigate it at that time, your chances of becoming a member may become virtually zero. We also don't promote the same kind of research and reflection as others may. We're allowed to give PNMs straight answers about the process and other answers and at least some of us strive to do so here.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Loyola and Tulane both have their own Greek systems so that's not a good example.
I agree with you that both have their own greek systems, but I think they fall under my comment about two closely located schools, one having a stronger or larger system and the other having only a few.
Anyway, since I really do not know very much about the rules governing sororities I was just seeking information in broad general terms. I appreciate any info available.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Knight Shadow,

You are correct. I was just looking for general info about a subject I know very little about. Since there are several national umbrella groups I asked a broad question hoping for a broad answer. As to the use of PNM you are right again, I figured that it was a generic term that would hopefully cover the range of words describing what I always thought of as a "pledge".

Thanks for your comment which did answer what I asked.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Mystic Cat,

I take your point and I agree. My question was very broad and a more precise query would have been of better help to the OP.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
They will survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Right. I would hope that members of other councils would show the kind of respect that is expected in threads that involve their organizations and not derail conversations about our policies and procedures.
LOL. Hush with that nonsense.

Meanwhile....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy
Knight Shadow,

You are correct. I was just looking for general info about a subject I know very little about. Since there are several national umbrella groups I asked a broad question hoping for a broad answer. As to the use of PNM you are right again, I figured that it was a generic term that would hopefully cover the range of words describing what I always thought of as a "pledge".

Thanks for your comment which did answer what I asked.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
They will survive.

LOL. Hush with that nonsense.

Meanwhile....
I assure you that members of our organizations hardly consider out procedures nonsense. Your respect is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

::groan::

Old 08-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
I assure you that members of our organizations hardly consider out procedures nonsense. Your respect is greatly appreciated.
LOL. Is this your way of admitting that knight_shadow was correct? It is okay.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Banned

No, it's my polite way of saying you're driving in the wrong lane.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, it's my polite way of saying you're driving in the wrong lane.
Then vrooooom vrooooom all in "your" lane.

(If you really desire to believe that I was disrespecting NPC policies and procedures and calling them nonsense. Have at it.)
Old 08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
They will survive.
Hey,what happened to that warm, fuzzy DrPhil we saw helping out the new college student last night?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey,what happened to that warm, fuzzy DrPhil we saw helping out the new college student last night?
I did not believe that I was saving that poster from himself, though. I also told him to research.