GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,513
2 members and 2,511 guests
LaneSig, naraht

Old 06-09-2004, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
pink?

Okay, so here's a random question. I've noticed that a lot of Gamma Phi chapters use pink more often than the light and dark brown. Is there a reason? If it's private information, then obviously please do not share. I'm just curious!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2004, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
A lot of merchandisers seem to think that our color is pink and they make their merchandise in pink.....very annoying in my opinion, I'd like to see things offered in our colors.

Plus most chapters seem to have local colors as well.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Plus I think it just kind of goes with the pink carnations. But yes, it would be nicer to see things in our official colors (but how many people would actually buy it?).
Old 06-10-2004, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
Plus I think it just kind of goes with the pink carnations. But yes, it would be nicer to see things in our official colors (but how many people would actually buy it?).
It depends...I could see some of the "accesory" merchandise like the flower pots, pin boxes, photo albums, etc, looking good in brown and mode, but I don't know that I'd be sporting brown and mode letters on a regular basis.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, we understand that it's quite confusing. To answer your question, sairose:

Our ORIGINAL colors were dark and light blue (like Kappa) but they were changed to dark and light brown (brown and mode) shortly after to honor the professor who let the founders meet in his office-- Dr. Brown.

So brown and mode are our FORMAL International colors. End of story, right? No. Recently, Internationals declared navy and gold as our INFORMAL International colors, because it goes well with the crescent theme.

Then, to further add to that, chapters have local colors, most of which DO incorporate pink because of the pink carnation and the way our merchandise is made. Some chapters, however, do not use pink at all and choose to use completely different local colors.

My chapter goes with the flow-- pink and white are our informal colors.

So, pretty much, every chapter has three sets of colors. Brown and mode, navy and gold, and their local chapter colors.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Quote:
Originally posted by kk_gphib_01

Our ORIGINAL colors were dark and light blue (like Kappa) but they were changed to dark and light brown (brown and mode) shortly after to honor the professor who let the founders meet in his office-- Dr. Brown.

So brown and mode are our FORMAL International colors. End of story, right? No. Recently, Internationals declared navy and gold as our INFORMAL International colors, because it goes well with the crescent theme.

Then, to further add to that, chapters have local colors, most of which DO incorporate pink because of the pink carnation and the way our merchandise is made. Some chapters, however, do not use pink at all and choose to use completely different local colors.

My chapter goes with the flow-- pink and white are our informal colors.

So, pretty much, every chapter has three sets of colors. Brown and mode, navy and gold, and their local chapter colors.
Wow, that's confusing! LOL Very helpful though. And interesting. I didn't realize the brown colors were because of Dr. Brown. That's cute!
Old 06-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I am sooo glad you said that about the navy and gold. When y'all presented at our college, I thought I was late and came skidding around the corner into a room full of navy and gold. I briefly thought I was in the wrong room but a national officer said, "Yes, this is Gamma Phi's presentation. You can't do a lot with brown and mode!!!"
Old 06-12-2004, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
They should make a better announcement, I had no idea about this one and I'm one of the more "in the know" people......
Old 06-12-2004, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
They should make a better announcement, I had no idea about this one and I'm one of the more "in the know" people......
Hehe...it's on the website somewhere (I knew where it was in the old one) and I *think* it's also in the sidebar (Kristen will know what that's called more than I would) in The Crescent.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Recently, Internationals declared navy and gold as our INFORMAL International colors, because it goes well with the crescent theme.
That makes a lot of sense. I have a 10-year-old Gamma Phi extension packet and in it, it declares the official informal colors as red, yellow, blue, and green. I thought that the use of the primary colors and green was so festive. You can do tons of stuff with those colors.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aopirose
That makes a lot of sense. I have a 10-year-old Gamma Phi extension packet and in it, it declares the official informal colors as red, yellow, blue, and green. I thought that the use of the primary colors and green was so festive. You can do tons of stuff with those colors.
From what I was told by our former advisor, the red, yellow, blue, and green are now our creed colors...love, labor, learning, and loyalty.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
I am sooo glad you said that about the navy and gold. When y'all presented at our college, I thought I was late and came skidding around the corner into a room full of navy and gold. I briefly thought I was in the wrong room but a national officer said, "Yes, this is Gamma Phi's presentation. You can't do a lot with brown and mode!!!"
Our former advisor also told us that the blue and gold are primarily used for expansion purposes....

Not sure how accurate any of this information is, but thought I would throw it out there...
Old 06-20-2004, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes Kath, it's a sidebar. (c:

I didn't know about the creed colors. Man, that's just too many colors. Brown & mode, navy & gold, pink & white, other local colors, creed colors... How about we just claim all colors and do everything in rainbows? Er, or maybe not...
Old 07-12-2004, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to piphimaggie
yellows and browns and blues, OH MY!
to my knowledge, we have just 2 colors...wine and blue....but maybe I'm completely missing the bandwagon here
-Maggie
PS: I'd wear brown and mode colored letters...it makes a statement.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

colors

light and dark blue were originally our formal colors? interesting, i never knew that - those are the colors my chapter uses. everyone in my chapter thinkgs that lt and dk brown were our original formal colors.