GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 2,374
2 members and 2,372 guests
aamanthalittle3, Low D Flat

Old 05-31-2005, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Miss Canada Crowned Miss Universe

I didn't watch the whole Pagent, but tuned in right around the time there were about to announce the top 5. I thought I'd see if Miss Canada was in the top 10 (she was), so I decided to keep on watching - she made the top 5 - and then the top 2 - and then...

Miss Universe

Miss CANADA, Natalie Glebova CROWNED MISS UNIVERSEÕ2005
DURING LIVE NBC TELECAST on May 30th
Bangkok, Thailand, May 30, 2005 -This evening, during one of the year's most exciting live television events, a star-studded panel of judges chose Natalie Glebova, Miss Canada, as MISS UNIVERSEÕ2005.

The 23-year-old delegate from Toronto was crowned at the conclusion of the 54th Annual broadcast on NBC LIVE from Bangkok, Thailand. Natalie Glebova is a model and motivational speaker to grade school and high school students.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

Re: Miss Canada Crowned Miss Universe

Quote:
Originally posted by bcdphie
Natalie Glebova is a model and motivational speaker to grade school and high school students.
They have motivational speakers for kids in that age?

-Rudey
--Hey girls, if you all work real hard, you too will be a Miss Universe
Old 05-31-2005, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I watched last night becuase I was too tired and lazy to change the channel. I called Miss Canada to win after the swimsuit competition, the question session sealed it.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Miss Indonesia made it to the semi-final!!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I picked Miss Canada from the start! Boy, that's a first!!
Old 05-31-2005, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
miss canada was okay. i was rooting for puerto rico (the runner up). now she was HOT.

miss usa didnt do it for me. she was pretty and all but she was a little chunky in some areas. when she came out during the swimsuit contest, i heard loud clappings. i couldnt tell if it was the audience or her thighs doing the clapping. now, i have nothing against big people, but i expected more from usa.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AznSAE
miss canada was okay. i was rooting for puerto rico (the runner up). now she was HOT.

miss usa didnt do it for me. she was pretty and all but she was a little chunky in some areas. when she came out during the swimsuit contest, i heard loud clappings. i couldnt tell if it was the audience or her thighs doing the clapping. now, i have nothing against big people, but i expected more from usa.
Yeah, because she was soooooo ginormous. She just had an athletic build, most of the other contestants had very slender, waifish builds.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 PM

The Miss Universe pagent always reminds me of that 3rd Rock from the Sun episode (I LOVED that show) where the aliens got all excited but were dissapointed that they only showed people from this planet.

ETA: I LOVED the Scarlett dress. I always wait to see what Miss USA does as the costume form the country because its so hard, since we have a great mix of diversity. And I'm always afraid its going to be some horrible overdone thing, like the Statue of Liberty.

Last edited by DolphinChicaDDD; 05-31-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I watched the first hour...wasn't impressed by Miss Canada. I liked Puerto Rico also. There was a very strong showing from Central and South America. They had the most 'Oooohs' from my husband and I. The two blondes were terrible! They both had that white-trash-I-Haven't-cut-my-hair-in-twenty-years look. Like it was frizzy from all the split ends...maybe that was just me.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Eh. i was rooting for Mexico and Puerto Rico...they were so gorgeous.

I didnt like Canada at all.

P.S Why couldnt the contestants answer the question in their native language. All the contestants except Canada lost major points on their answer. They were like struggling for words trying to come up with an answer.....

and why was that translator translating the english question in spanish there anyway if they answered in english??? kinda wack.

P.P.S also funny how Miss Thailand got best national custome since she didnt make it into the semis and since the pagant was hosted in Thailand.

P.P.P.S YAY FOR BRUNETTES!! HAHA. I guess these pagants are preferring brunettes more than blondes this year.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by DeeGeePrincess
P.S Why couldnt the contestants answer the question in their native language. All the contestants except Canada lost major points on their answer. They were like struggling for words trying to come up with an answer.....
Well the Canadian contestant didn't answer in her "native" language either... Russian is her first language, English second, and French third.

I met her at a music reception at UofT before she headed off for the competition (you tend to remember someone competing for Miss Universe ) - interesting person to talk to to say the least... she sure breaks the stereotype of the model, being a techno-geek at heart in addition to composing classical piano pieces.

"Cave ab homine unius libri"

Last edited by RACooper; 06-01-2005 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:43 AM
GreekChat Member

What's up with Miss Canada winners that aren't actually from Canada? Natalia is Russian, and last year's Miss Canada was Serbian.

Congrats to her regardless, she's really stunning.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

But, bless her heart, that tiara was hideous. Peacock feathers with a clear plastic strap? Where did the super tall, classic crowns go?
Silver
Old 06-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
[B]What's up with Miss Canada winners that aren't actually from Canada? Natalia is Russian, and last year's Miss Canada was Serbian.
You don't have to be BORN in the country that you represent...just live there or have some ties to it.
For example, Miss England is from CANADA:
Brook Johnson (Miss ENGLAND)

Quote:
Originally posted by DeeGeePrincess
and why was that translator translating the english question in spanish there anyway if they answered in english??? kinda wack.
They do that just so that the contestant knows for certain what the question is regarding...kind of a reinforcement for them, I guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper
Well the Canadian contestant didn't answer in her "native" language either... Russian is her first language, English second, and French third.
I see what you're saying, but Natalie came to our country at age 12, so it's not like she learned English one month before the pageant (which tends to be the case with some of the Latin American girls). I think the girls should just answer in their "native language"...after all, that's what Alicia Machado did (Miss Venezuela) and she won...same with the Russian girl about 2-3 years back, though she gave up the crown to a Latin American later on down the road...Justine something or other.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 06-01-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

About the questions: I think that most of them ask to have a translator for two reasons: 1) To make sure they understand the question properly and 2) To buy some time to think about the answer.

As to the contestants, I only saw from the 10 semi-finalists on. Frankly, I wasn't really impressed with any of them.

But the WORST was Miss Universe 2004 wearing a ponytail with her tiara!! How tacky was that?!