GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,317
0 members and 1,317 guests
No Members online

Old 01-29-2001, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Alumni/Active Interaction

Hey! I am the 1st v-p of my sorority and I am in charge of "bridging the gap" between the actives and alumni of my chapter. We've had problems in the past getting our alumni to be involved with us. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to get our alumni more involved with us? THANKS SO MUCH!!

Allison
Old 01-29-2001, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
TigerGirl,
Check the Alumna Chair thread in this forum.
Barbara
Old 01-29-2001, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Well tigergirl, I know my chapter could not figure out why the alums never kept in touch!! They did not keep in touch!!
I regrouped the alums and now we are looking at building a new house as ours is older than dirt. Once again they are not keeping in touch except by E-M and not all have E-M. The Alums want to feel like they are still part of the group no matter what!! Keep them informed of the events and any goings on within your house.
Another thing the house did was do a Lambda-Gram every quarter to keep Brothers informed. Well they have not sent one out in a long time! But coming again. We also reinsituted the Assoc. Memmebers (Pledges) contacting Alums via E-M and letters. It is good to put names in print and make Bro/Sis feel like they are wanted! Hope this helps and did not mess things up to much as have a guy here hooking dish up. GOOD LUCK an let me know how it goes!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 01-29-2001, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi,
I posted this before so I just copied and pasted again. Maybe the one or other idea helps....

If the alumni don't come to visit you, visit them!
Make a weekend road trip with active members and notify all the alumni of your chapter in the respective area - they will probably be happy to host you. That is much easier than finding the time to come and visit your chapter on campus, since most of them have to work and/or have family, that keeps an alumni pretty busy....

Send birthday cards at least for the birthdays ending with a 0 or a 5. See how they respond! They (the older the more) will be glad that the active chapter remembers them and might want to get in touch with the chapter again.

Invite especially successful alumni to give public talks, on campus or at your fraternity house - that will have the positive side effect to give your chapter a good reputation as being very academic....

And then, as others stated previously, try to get local alumni involved by inviting them personally with a few phone calls, make them organize a social for members only, a get-together for young and old, a family day involving the actives, whatever - it may be strange for them at first, to be called, but the more often you call the more they will think: hey, they really want me to get involved.....

Good luck!
Old 01-29-2001, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Y'all have given me some GREAT ideas!!! Keep posting...I'm definitely going to use the ideas already posted.

Allison
Old 01-29-2001, 11:23 PM

Talking

Hi Allison! My suggestion is: use the Internet to its fullest! Be sure that you have a chapter site that is kept up to date and is linked to your national site and LSU's site. Also, if LSU has message boards, etc for the different academic depts check those out too. Often people will mention what other activities they were in. I found one of my alum chapter sisters this way!

Also, try having e-mail pen pals. See if you can have a group of sisters keep in touch via e-mail with alums who want to participate. Believe it or not, after a day full of work, husband, kids, hearing about rush can be downright relaxing!
Old 01-30-2001, 10:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
LSUTigerGirl:

All of these are fantastic ideas, and I just have one suggestion. When you do re-establish your alumnae contact, be sure that you let them know that they are still a part of your organization, no matter how the landscape may have changed since they are no longer there. You'll have much happier alums this way

Quote:
Originally posted by LSUTigerGirl:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Y'all have given me some GREAT ideas!!! Keep posting...I'm definitely going to use the ideas already posted.

Allison
Old 03-31-2001, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I posted this in the alumna chair forum, but basically just try to put yourself in your the shoes of of an alumnus. As alumni chair last semester, I tried to get more personal contact with alumni...let them know that the actives really do care about the alumni, find out what's going on in their personal lives, make that connection, and that will make everything much easier. Contact is the key: everything else builds off of that.
Old 04-04-2001, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

In order to "bridge the gap" with our alumni, we do a number of things. Every semester we send out an alumni newsletter to surrounding alum chapters telling them about our chapter's newbies, intramural sports, and upcoming events. We also have "Alum-chums", which is an alumni paired up with a newbie...they correspond and stuff. We also have an Alumni Slumber Party. The alums (and not only those from our chapter) come over and share their old scrapbooks, we do t-shirt swaps, funny skits, go out for dinner, etc....its way fun. The alums retire for the night in one of the actives rooms and all the active pile into the living room. Its a blast!
Old 04-13-2001, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

We always send a member (usually the Chapter President) to the local alum meetings. Since the alum groups rarely meet more than once a month or so, it didn't take a lot of time. The alum President always called me a few days before the meeting to make sure she had my items on the agenda.

The alum group loved it and our chapter was rewarded by alum members that were active when we needed them to be.