GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,287
2 members and 2,285 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Can anyone please give me some advice/insight?

Hi everyone! :]

So after a lot of searching and reading on GreekChat, and discussing with a couple greek/non greek people, I hope that I can find some help with determining the best GLO for me.

I am the first in my family (extended also) to be born in the United States. I am also the first to speak English, go to high school, graduate, and go to college. My family doesn't really understand what fraternities and sororities are but they are very supportive.

At my school there are four NPC sororities and four Latina sororities. I've thought about this a lot and I feel really torn to choose between one sorority in each council. I have waited two years already and would really like to join in the fall. I was wondering if anyone else out there has had any insight or advice on what I should consider. I'd really appreciate it! :]
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

you might be able to make a better decision after you meet all the sororities.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlintheclouds View Post
Hi everyone! :]

So after a lot of searching and reading on GreekChat, and discussing with a couple greek/non greek people, I hope that I can find some help with determining the best GLO for me.

I am the first in my family (extended also) to be born in the United States. I am also the first to speak English, go to high school, graduate, and go to college. My family doesn't really understand what fraternities and sororities are but they are very supportive.

At my school there are four NPC sororities and four Latina sororities. I've thought about this a lot and I feel really torn to choose between one sorority in each council. I have waited two years already and would really like to join in the fall. I was wondering if anyone else out there has had any insight or advice on what I should consider. I'd really appreciate it! :]
For clarity's sake, are there only 8 sororities on your campus? You know the acronym for the conference for the NPC sororities. Do you know the same for the "Latina sororities?" Do you know the names of all of these sororities and what they stand for?

You say you have waited two years and read a lot of Greekchat. What has this waiting and reading done for you thus far?

I say begin with the above things.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I do. I know all of the names for all the sororities, their philanthropies, their councils, and everything. I have met most of the Latina sororities as well but I feel torn because of the my background and how I was raised.

I waited this long because I had family problems that kept me from joining. I tried to do COB for an NPC sorority but I felt like I wasn't giving the others a chance. They had no hard feelings and said to rush in the fall again.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

And Yes, there are only eight sororities on my campus
Old 07-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

The rest is really up to you. If you have been researching, you will figure out which sorority has what you are looking for in a lifetime membership. You will probably say you have done everything that GCers will advise to try.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. Really? That's disappointing, I was hoping to get a better understanding of how both types of sororities work...Thanks anyway :]
Old 07-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlintheclouds View Post
Wow. Really? That's disappointing, I was hoping to get a better understanding of how both types of sororities work...Thanks anyway :]
Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to know what others in my same situation have experienced, I don't need people to tell me what to do.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm also a first generation American and the only one from my dad's family to go to college (my family is also from a country that does not speak English). My family doesn't really understand Greek Life and were skeptical when I went through recruitment. However, now they can see how I've grown more confident and gained leadership experience from being Greek.
What's most important in the sorority recruitment process is finding where you feel you fit best (regardless of what council it is in). My best advice is go through NPC recruitment at you school. If you find your fit-awesome! If you find you think you'd be more comfortable in one of the Latina sororities at your school, talk to those organizations about their recruitment process (I'm not very familiar with their process). This is something you need to figure out for yourself- don't let your friends or family or random people you met on the internet make the decision for you.
Good luck!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
What's most important in the sorority recruitment process is finding where you feel you fit best (regardless of what council it is in). My best advice is go through NPC recruitment at you school. If you find your fit-awesome! If you find you think you'd be more comfortable in one of the Latina sororities at your school, talk to those organizations about their recruitment process (I'm not very familiar with their process).
I know this wasn't your intention, but I just wanted to say that LGLOs do not exist as "consolation" organizations. Whatever you do, don't go in with an attitude of "I didn't get into an NPC, so I decided this was the next best thing" -- it won't go over well.

Good luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I know this wasn't your intention, but I just wanted to say that LGLOs do not exist as "consolation" organizations. Whatever you do, don't go in with an attitude of "I didn't get into an NPC, so I decided this was the next best thing" -- it won't go over well.

Good luck.
I did not mean that non-NPC sororities are less or a consolation (especially since I'm a member of a non-NPC sorority)
My understanding of NPC recruitment is that it is usually structured so that you get an equal introduction to each group (and often within the first month of school), where as Latina sororities' recruitment is more informal and throughout the school year. If there are recruitment events for the Latina groups that comes before NPC recruitment, then by all means, go to those and see if there is a fit. I just want the OP to find her best fit. I gave the advice that I did because I read her post as being confused as if she would fit better in an NPC or a Latina sorority and wanted to encourage her to try both.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
I did not mean that non-NPC sororities are less or a consolation
Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I know this wasn't your intention,...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

That is my dilemma, I don't know where I would fit in best because I feel like if I join a NPC I would be equally out of place/fit in as much as if I joined a Latina Sorority. I don't want to disrespect any sorority.

I make arguments for each council. They both have their pros and cons but at the end of the day I just hope I find a home instead just some house. Thank You.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 AM
GreekChat Member

The only way to find out is to start. Go to whatever events you can, including NPC formal recruitment. Just start. If you find a good fit in an NPC sorority, since their recruitment is likely first, then great. If you don't, you know you have another alternative. As you're going through NPC recruitment, you'll have to decide if the more formal structure, possibly chapter houses and associated fees, social style and commitments are for you.

If your concern is seeming too different (socially, racially, etc.) than the typical NPC woman, don't. Depending on where you are in the country, there could be a lot of Latina women in the NPC chapters. It's not just for blonde haired blue eyed girls any more!

On the other hand, if I'm reading you correctly, you are going to be a junior this fall. That will possibly hamper your options in an NPC sorority. I can't speak to the LGLO sororities and whether or not that's a problem.