GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,873
3 members and 1,870 guests
Cookiez17, naraht

Old 07-29-2000, 09:59 PM
Shopaholic

Post Recruitment

I want to join a sorority this fall, but I'm not sure if I have to register for sorority recruitment or how to do that. I would appreciate any information about the steps I need to take to join a sorority. Also, I was curious as to if you have to be involved in other activities to be considered for a particular sorority. Thanx~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2000, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

What type of sorority are you looking to join? There are different sorts of protocol that you'd follow to join a social, academic, or service sorority. Also, there are different ways that you'd want to go about rushing a GLO (Greek Lettered Org.) vs. a BGLO (Black Greek Lettered Org., which usually does not participate in Panhellenic Rush).

I'll write about joining a national GLO social sorority, since that is where my experience is. At your college, there will be a Panhellenic group which is comprised of representatives from each of the national NPC houses on your campus. This is the group that organizes formal rush for your campus. Usually, over the summer, Panhel mails rush registration info to the homes of incoming freshmen women. If you have not received any info, and rush is within a month or less, I would suggest that you contact your school's Pahnel group (NOT the individual sororities, though), and ask how to register for women's formal rush. You would be able to get their phone number from the Dean of Student Affairs or some similar official. Usually registration consists of filling out a short form with your background information. Mine asked me to list my 3 favorite activities in high school, and my high school GPA. You may have to submit headshot photos at this time, if your school uses them. Most girls use senior pictures or yearbook-type photos for this purpose. In the fall, all registered rushees will be assigned a rush counselor, called a Rho Chi, who will explain how each round of rush parties works, what to wear & expect, etc. You will probably meet in a rush group with your Rho Chi prior to the first round of parties. Rushing a GLO sorority, you basically survive each round of parties, accepting or declining invitations back to the houses, and in the end you are matched by mutual selection with a bid from one sorority.

When rushing a GLO sorority, it helps to be able to say that you have been involved in service and campus activities, but since you'll be rushing as a fall freshman, no one will expect you to already be running the school. Probably having done some interesting things in high school will be enough. By all means though, get involved early on campus, it can only help. The sororities are trying to select pledges who will make active, dynamic, committed members, and involvement and dedication towards other activities shows your potential for this.

[This message has been edited by twinstars (edited July 29, 2000).]
Old 07-30-2000, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Well i guess I'l write about joining a BGLO then since Twinstar covered GLO's so well.

If you are interested in a BGLO, then the process is a little different. First off, we don't have a rush like the panhellinic sororities. There are interest meetings and mixers held throughout the year on campus however.

When joining a BGLO, you have to realize that you are responsible for doing research on ALL of the organizations (there are four in the National Pan-Hellenic Council [whose websites I'll list later], and various others)

Unlike the GLO process were you visit every house for Rush, Rush in a BGLO is the final step which means that you absolutely want to be in this organization, that's why you have to do reasearch to make sure that is the organization were you want to belong too

It is also important for you to know that you will need to have at least (depending on campus you at) a 2.5 GPA and you will also need to have some type of community service background and be open to doing a huge amount of work for the community as a whole if.when you become i member

I will basically leave it at that and let you ask if you have more specific questions, because sometimes things differ from chapter to chapter

here are some websites for you to look at to learn more about BGLO sororities
www.nphc.org www.sgr1922.org www.aka1908.org www.zpb1920.org www.dst1913.org

and of course my chapters page at www.iun.edu/~sgr

Everyone else feel free to touch on anything I missed I just tried to cover the general things

[This message has been edited by blu_theatrics (edited July 30, 2000).]
Old 07-30-2000, 11:16 AM
Shopaholic

Question

thanks for the info~it has helped me a great deal...but i am confused on one thing. do u have to be black to join a bglo(i hope that isn't a stupid question, but i'm still in the process of learning about all the greek stuff.) i might be totally wrong, but i don't know what else it stands for. thanks again!!!
Old 07-30-2000, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Shop- No, You don't have to be black to join a BGLO.
Old 07-31-2000, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

As my friend Zeta Ace said:
No you do not have to be Black and there are many many members who are not black. BGLO is just an "unofficial" term we use to describe our founding in the Greek world

All are welcome

Quote:
Originally posted by Shopaholic:
thanks for the info~it has helped me a great deal...but i am confused on one thing. do u have to be black to join a bglo(i hope that isn't a stupid question, but i'm still in the process of learning about all the greek stuff.) i might be totally wrong, but i don't know what else it stands for. thanks again!!!