GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,188
5 members and 2,183 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking good thoughts!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2014, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Round two of Mizzou recruitment is done for the PNMs, hooray!

I'm sure everyone is tired and hot and the PNMs are looking forward to relaxing a bit tonight before finding out tomorrow morning which houses they will be visiting. Of course, it will be a long night for the actives, sorting through all of the people they've seen the last two days! I hope the houses are all feeling great about welcoming some wonderful new young women.

I'm happy to say that my daughter had a good day. She felt really comfortable and happy, especially in two of the houses from today, Athena and Freya. She also liked Kwan Yin (in case you missed my earlier post, I've pulled female figures from mythology at random to represent the houses that are her five favorites at this point). It was really fun to hear how much she loved Freya, since she connected with them much more this time. I love when that happens--that's why recruitment is several rounds long!

Excited (and of course a bit nervous) to hear where she will be returning tomorrow. I'm sure all the Moms on here want for our daughters what we had--a place where they can continue to discover who they are in a supportive and stimulating environment where they will develop lifelong friendships!

Would love to hear how others who have daughters going through are feeling about the process. It's much harder as a Mom, don't you think?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking lots of positive thoughts for the moms and the PNMs! It IS hot, but at least everyone is in the same boat. My best advice is for them to stick it out! Some houses will be expected to release hundreds of PNMs tonight. Lots of women drop out at that point, which breaks my heart. There is not a single bad house here and the entire system is strong. Too many women regret dropping out after it's too late. Focus on the houses who invite you each day, not the other houses. I know that seems easy to say, but I promise it is a great system, and every house has something amazing to offer.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter visited 2 today and 2 yesterday. She was cut heavily after first round, but has liked what she has seen at the houses that have kept her - I think 2 more than others. Hoping she keeps all. She is a transfer, so that may have factored into initial cuts, though has a very good GPA. I am drinking some wine tonight, as I do believe it is just as hard on the Moms ;-)
Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter had a good day, too, just HOT!! Two of the houses she liked best in the first round continued to impress, but one was just okay, Overall she is still really interested in that house. We had a frank conversation tonight about the heavy cuts that are likely after this round, especially for an out of state girl with no connections, and she seems ready for whatever comes. I hope so, we live 450 miles away, so there is no coming home to have a good cry if this doesn't work out. So to NorthernMom, I raise my glass to you! Clink!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck and good thoughts for your girls!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to all the PNMs tonight! Sleep well Moms and daughters!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quick update: no phone call this morning for daughter or roommate!! Life is good!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMom View Post
My daughter visited 2 today and 2 yesterday. She was cut heavily after first round, but has liked what she has seen at the houses that have kept her - I think 2 more than others. Hoping she keeps all. She is a transfer, so that may have factored into initial cuts, though has a very good GPA. I am drinking some wine tonight, as I do believe it is just as hard on the Moms ;-)
It's really hard not to take those cuts to heart, but no one should take them to heart. You can only get one bid, so you only need ONE chapter where you fit. If a particular group isn't taking transfers or jocks or dance team members or whatever, it's better to know you are not a fit for them early rather than later. (Their loss. )
Old 08-22-2014, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUalumMUmom View Post
Quick update: no phone call this morning for daughter or roommate!! Life is good!
Yay! Have a great day!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Fingers crossed for a great day today!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Hope all your daughters have a great Round 3!!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, daughter has 6, including 2 she really likes, but cut from 3 she really liked, so a little bummed. Mostly she is worried about 6 socials in a row in the blazing heat and not being able to keep her energy up at all the houses, her favorites are in the middle. I stressed how competitive this is and that she is lucky to have six and that she should really look for people she likes in every house, because they obviously see something in her that they like. I just hope she isn't a puddle of sweat by the end of the day
Old 08-22-2014, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, daughter has 6, including 2 she really likes, but cut from 3 she really liked, so a little bummed. Mostly she is worried about 6 socials in a row in the blazing heat and not being able to keep her energy up at all the houses, her favorites are in the middle. I stressed how competitive this is and that she is lucky to have six and that she should really look for people she likes in every house, because they obviously see something in her that they like. I just hope she isn't a puddle of sweat by the end of the day
That's wonderful!

Tell her to give the other 4 a second (or third) look. Sometimes first impressions change.

I hope it's going to cool off, but I doubt it. Weather channel says 98F today, 99F tomorrow and 98F on Sunday. At least everyone is in the same (sweaty) boat. It kind of sucks, because the rest of this summer has been so beautiful.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just love your attitude, NUalumMUmom! It's so nice to see how encouraging and realistic you seem to be, instead of questioning the process or making assumptions. I wish your daughter the best of luck!