GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
I understand it (left hemisphere of brain), but it just boggles my right hemisphere that some ginormous Ole Miss new member classes. Consist. Only. Of. Freshmen.
Yes it is crazy. Especially when only 18 years ago my pledge class had about 54 in it! Since enrollment is still going up I think we won't really see that big of a change in new member classes until Alpha Phi gets here in 2015. I think quota will still be at least 100.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

This is another school where they waited too long before starting the expansion process. I honor them for being patient to make sure each one goes well before moving on, but tick tock! They could easily add 5 or 6 and STILL have big pledge classes.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I advised a dear friend (and sorority sister) a few years back whose daughter had a low GPA as your friend's DD, MP. My advice was 100 times NO, don't rush! We knew the cuts would be harsh, and even though her daughter knew that going in, it would still hurt. As it turned out, her DD went to Ole Miss and made good friends without going through, but she still was unable to keep up her GPA and transferred to a CC the next year. You can use my story if you would like to convey this to your friend. I don't think most moms realize how excruciatingly competitive Ole Miss rush is, and I would hate for her daughter to have to experience that type of rejection straight out of the gate. Just my two cents.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 PM

I know we talked about how Texas has the spirit groups and such that are very sorority-like - is there anything like that @ Ole Miss?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that I'm aware of, but I could be mistaken.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I know we talked about how Texas has the spirit groups and such that are very sorority-like - is there anything like that @ Ole Miss?
No spirit groups at Ole Miss. But I think there are enough clubs and orgs where a young woman can find "something else to do" besides joining a sorority. I know some of the new Residence Halls do have interest groups who are very active on campus and in the Oxford community. I do think a young woman can survive socially at Ole Miss without being a sorority.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Are the new residential colleges succeeding in providing an ongoing social community for their non-Greek students?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Has she thought about enrolling in summer school? If she did well it might help with grade worries and would also lighten her load for fall and spring.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
Are the new residential colleges succeeding in providing an ongoing social community for their non-Greek students?
Yes from what I have heard they do provide that for non-Greek students. Of course there are Greek freshmen infiltrated in all of the halls on campus. But you can survive if you get involved with other groups.

Bluebell4, that's a great idea too. Summer School can help your grades and that could be an option. Plus that's another way to meet sorority women.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Not changing the subject but continuing the flow of necessary information.

What to tell overconfident PNMs
^^^This is an excellent thread, cannot speak more highly of the information it contains.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter knew of four girls going through rush this past year with less than 3.0's. One of her friends had a 2.9 and ended up pledging Pi Phi. Another of her friends had a 2.7 and pledged her mothers sorority, she was cut from every
sorority other than her legacy house. The two other girls she knew both got cut completely out of rush (one after philanthropy round and the other after skit), however both of those girls pledge ADPi.

I'm not sure how it will go next year with ADPi and whether or not they are willing to take grade risks again.

With few exceptions, I don't think grade risks do well, even if they are special snowflakes in all other areas. If she does decide to go through recruitment, she needs to keep her options extremely open and be prepared for brutal cuts.

Because of ADPi colonizing this past year, they removed upperclass quotas. I believe that most sophomore dropped out before rush even started and went with ADPi.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Will they be bringing the UC quotas again this year?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearttoheart View Post
My daughter knew of four girls going through rush this past year with less than 3.0's. One of her friends had a 2.9 and ended up pledging Pi Phi. Another of her friends had a 2.7 and pledged her mothers sorority, she was cut from every
sorority other than her legacy house. The two other girls she knew both got cut completely out of rush (one after philanthropy round and the other after skit), however both of those girls pledge ADPi.

I'm not sure how it will go next year with ADPi and whether or not they are willing to take grade risks again.

With few exceptions, I don't think grade risks do well, even if they are special snowflakes in all other areas. If she does decide to go through recruitment, she needs to keep her options extremely open and be prepared for brutal cuts.

Because of ADPi colonizing this past year, they removed upperclass quotas. I believe that most sophomore dropped out before rush even started and went with ADPi.
Rush at Ole Miss is not for the weak. What trumps grades at Ole Miss are connections to members of one of the houses/some legacies. Recs are great but recs from Ole Miss alumni hold much more weight and are definitely worth seeking out. An active alumni is even better.
PNM with great grades, great resume and recs to every sorority but no connections can find themselves with a short invite list very quickly during rush. Rush at Ole Miss happens much earlier than rush week.
The trick is to remember EVERY sorority at Ole Miss is great. Each house is a place to call home for over 300 young ladies. Register early, get recs, letters of support and try to find someone to speak for you in each house. With a low GPA and no connections you won't have much luck.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellastar1 View Post
Rush at Ole Miss happens much earlier than rush week.
And Auburn! And Bama! And Georgia! Etc.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome Stellastar1