GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,114
1 members and 2,113 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

GRAD STUDENT RUSHING

Hey guys. Im a senior undergrad and will be graduating this may. i think i have narrowed down which grad school i plan on attending, however i really dont know anyone there. most of my buddies and i went to big 10s, this is an sec school. i never joined a frat due to a solid schedule for the past 4 years (20 credits almost a semester) so i really regret it. now since ill be pretty much alone at this new school, its gonna be difficult meeting new people so i figure the best way to get engaged in the school would be to join a fraternity, since i will be there for a few years. i know its probably unorthodox for a grad student to rush, but can it be done? is it allowed? i will contact individual frats at the school when the time comes, but just out of curiosity. thanks guys.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Since I am not in an NIC fraternity (well, not one that would typically sit on a campus IFC), I will leave a member from a SEC school to answer your specific question.

I want to say though, I don't think the best way to meet new people while in grad school would be to pledge a fraternity, even if the opportunity was available to you. At least not a collegiate one. It's not like grad school is any easier academically.

You may have to come to terms with the fact that "college days swiftly pass" and that you will have to find other avenues for brotherhood.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

When I first read this post, my reaction was that only undergraduate students can pledge an NIC fraternity (IFC is the reference more common on university Greek Life pages), but in checking out a couple of SEC school websites, the NIC website and my own fraternity's website- I find no such prohibition. I just called my national office actually and while it may be unusual, recruitment is permitted for anyone who is a full time student- even graduate students.

That said, Senusret has offered you some good advice. Two points on this if I may,

1. SEC recruitment is very competitive. A graduate student pledging would be extremely unusual. It is not unheard of to have older guys who served in the military etc. pledge when they start undergraduate programs as freshmen in their early or even mid-20s. But I have never heard, at my school at least, of a graduate student pledging an IFC fraternity.

To take my alma mater, Texas, as an example- I am comfortable predicting that a graduate student who registered for rush would have no chance of consideration with at least 12 of the chapters here. And that list of 12 includes just about every chapter with a large membership and their own large chapter house.

It is nothing personal against you. There are already more undergrads interested than there are spots in rush classes. And so it is hard for a chapter to justify considering someone who is not at a point in life when most people pledge.

2. Graduate school is a whole other world. I went right from undergrad into the MBA program, and I stayed in the chapter house my first semester because it was cheap, my best friend was still there and I had my own room etc.

I did not have trouble studying, and I enjoyed partying with friends who were seniors- but that was not the best move I could have made since within a matter of weeks I found I was never at the house anymore. The MBA programs had their own happy hours, and in group projects I could never host my groups at the house for work sessions.

Simply put, even though I still had friends in the chapter- in the process of moving on I very quickly found that the chapter house which used to be a blast was not an appropriate place to be for the kind of social interactions I was going to engage in as a grad student.

Given how quick a transition I found, I cannot imagine what it would be like to pledge as a grad student.

Not everyone in graduate school comes right from undergrad. You are going to be among a wide range of people in terms of age. Also, grad school is a next step academically most do not take. Sure we partied some in the MBA program, but we were there to work, interview for job, establish professional networks etc. within the very specific context of our scholastic pursuits.

Also- consider the impression you will give to your peers and professors. Graduate school is not about homework and scantron tests. It is about group projects, professional interaction and making your first impression on future peers and employers in your chosen profession. Mixing this important time with being in a social fraternity may well send a very bad message. I know a couple of my MBA professors were really shocked that I stayed in my chapter house for the first semester of the program. I imagine the disdain would be far worse in a liberal arts graduate program.

If you really want to rush, go for it. You never know what kind of situation you might find and it might work out. I am just wanting to let you know the options will be very limited- and it is wise to consider the message it will send to your classmates and professors who will, contrary to undergrad, likely be in many cases your future co-workers or employers. It may not be an issue at all- but please do give that consideration.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
Not everyone in graduate school comes right from undergrad.
This. You'll have more in common with those in the grad school who have large age ranges, many have taken a year or two off of school. I doubt you'll have much in common with your pledge brothers that are 4 years (or more) younger than you.

Plus, do you really want to be hanging out with college freshmen as a grad student?