GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,370
0 members and 1,370 guests
No Members online

Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a junior?

I attended a community college to get my first two years out of the way but I'm transferring to the university of Alabama in the fall. I'm really interested in rushing, and I have a few recs, a 3.4 GPA but I've read a lot of discouraging posts about how hard it is as a junior. My friend who is in a sorority told me I shouldn't worry because I'd most definitely get a bid since I'm pretty and have a good GPA but I know alabama has one of the most competitive recruitments. I'm very open minded. I don't have a house that I specifically want, just wherever I feel is my place.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-03-2017, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Get ALL those recs. They are necessary at Bama. Alabama has an upperclass quota so you would fall into that group. Not all chapters make use of that but I am sure you will find a home if you keep an open mind. All the groups are great there.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana12 View Post
I attended a community college to get my first two years out of the way but I'm transferring to the university of Alabama in the fall. I'm really interested in rushing, and I have a few recs, a 3.4 GPA but I've read a lot of discouraging posts about how hard it is as a junior. My friend who is in a sorority told me I shouldn't worry because I'd most definitely get a bid since I'm pretty and have a good GPA but I know alabama has one of the most competitive recruitments. I'm very open minded. I don't have a house that I specifically want, just wherever I feel is my place.
You're very wise to question your friend's "words of wisdom". It likely won't be a cake walk for you, but of course you have a chance to get a bid!

Get recs in order, practice conversations, make sure your outfits are on point, and keep an open mind (although it sounds like you're already aware of that last requirement).

Good luck!

@~/~~~~
Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM

LMAO at "pretty and a good GPA."

THAT. IS. LITERALLY. EVERY. GIRL. IN. RECRUITMENT. AT. BAMA.

It's going to take more than that.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:54 PM

^ What KSUViolet said. Is your "friend who is in a sorority" in a chapter at Bama? Or is she at a school in the Northeast (like the one I attended) or elsewhere, where recruitment is not quite so competitive and junior standing isn't much of a detriment?

Definitely line up your recs.

Also, double check to see if all your credits are going to transfer. If you find you're going to have to be around for an extra semester, it may help to be able to say, "I'm a junior transfer, but, because some of my credits didn't transfer from my last school, I'm actually not going to graduate until December 2019." (Read: You'll be an active, dues-paying member for five semesters rather than four.) I'll let someone from Bama weigh in on that point - I may be wrong as to whether "I'll be around for an extra semester" would be considered a plus.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
LMAO at "pretty and a good GPA."

THAT. IS. LITERALLY. EVERY. GIRL. IN. RECRUITMENT. AT. BAMA.

It's going to take more than that.

Haha I'm completely aware that it comes down to more things than that. I think she was just trying to be encouraging. It was a nice compliment, but I'm definitely not oblivious to the fact that those aren't the most important things. (Besides GPA) I'm not trying to be like every other girl in recruitment by thinking I'm pretty and smart and gaurenteed a bid because of those things. I came here to ask for honest opinions rather than biased.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana12 View Post
Haha I'm completely aware that it comes down to more things than that. I think she was just trying to be encouraging. It was a nice compliment, but I'm definitely not oblivious to the fact that those aren't the most important things. (Besides GPA) I'm not trying to be like every other girl in recruitment by thinking I'm pretty and smart and gaurenteed a bid because of those things. I came here to ask for honest opinions rather than biased.
KSU Violet did give you an honest opinion. Actually that's what you're getting here. *shrug* you may or may not like what you're reading. We have no control over that, just as we have no control over what the actives in any chapter do during recruitment and membership selection. I'm sitting here in the inferno known as Arizona, wishing I had some control over the weather. Not happening.

Suggestion: read extensively in the recruitment forum. Focus on information about Alabama in addition to information about recruitment in general, including what to do and how to do it. I checked out the Alabama Panhellenic page; plenty of great information there also.

Bottom line (my honest opinion, as you requested): your chances as a junior are significantly impaired by your age/year in school. You are competing with thousands of PNMs who are "the whole package" and who have four years of potential membership (translation: dues paying) ahead of them. Finances are a consideration in bidding upperclassmen; don't think that is not a fact. How can you make yourself desirable despite your class standing? THAT is the question you ask yourself, and you research and find answers.

As others have said, including some who are quite familiar with Alabama, keep your mind wide open. Don't listen to tent talk (although that's probably impossible). Alabama has 17 of the 26 NPC member groups on campus this fall, with Sigma Kappa colonizing in Fall 2018. You have opportunities ahead of you. I wish you good luck. Because membership is for a lifetime, not for two years (in your case). You will have some challenges in a pledge class (okay "new member class") full of 17-19 year olds. Cross that bridge when you come to it. The first hurdle is recruitment.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I did not go to Alabama, so I cannot give you any advice on the specifics of Alabama recruitment, however I did go to a school with a very competitive recruitment so I can speak on that.

At schools where recruitment is very competitive (actually at all schools, but especially at schools where recruitment is very competitive), ALL of the chapters are great, and you will be able to find friends in every single chapter on campus (assuming you are placed there). Trust me on this. Do not listen to the tent talk.

You are at a disadvantage already, being a junior. I am not saying that you will not get a bid, but your class standing puts you at a disadvantage. Unfortunately you can be really pretty and really smart and have really great extracurricular activities, and still be at a disadvantage because you are an upperclassman. Some chapters will likely cut you because of this. There are a great number of very pretty, very smart, and very involved girls going through recruitment at Alabama and other very competitive campuses. This is a fact. No one on this forum is trying to give you biased advice from what I saw. We're not saying you're not going to make it. What we are saying is that it will be really hard to make it and, depending on the package you are presenting, the odds may or may not be against you.

I'm sorry, but I wouldn't trust your friend's word that you will "most definitely get a bid" even if she is a current sister in a chapter at Alabama. If your friend is currently an active at Alabama, she can try to help increase your chances of getting a bid by potentially introducing you to some of her sisters in advance of you getting to campus (but not in violation of any PNM/active contact rules) and advocate for you within her chapter. However, this is still no guarantee. Many women are let go in chapters, despite the fact that they have good in-house connections and someone who is in the house and advocating for them. I repeat: you cannot guarantee you will get a bid, especially on a very competitive campus with your junior standing, even if you have all the connections in the world to this chapter on this particular campus.

So, with all of that said, I recommend that you go in with a VERY open mind. As I said, do not listen to the things some girls will be saying. Also, recruitment is not real life. If you do not feel like you connect with a chapter during recruitment, that does not mean that you will not connect with them after recruitment.

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it. That chapter wanted you, saw you as their sister, and decided to take a chance on you. You will find lifelong friendships and have lots of fun at ANY chapter on your campus. The experiences are really not very different, since all organizations offer and do the same things, essentially. And, like I said, at schools with very competitive recruitments, this is especially true. ALL of the chapters have great girls. Trust me on this.

Things you can do this summer to try to help your odds: (1) get recommendations for ALL the chapters ASAP (there is great advice on the recruitment forums about this); (2) get a job/internship and/or be involved in volunteering and/or travel a bit (basically, get some interesting experiences...you should be building your resume to help you get a job after graduation anyway, and this will also give you things to talk about); (3) If you have friends who are sorority members at Alabama already, you can try to talk to them to express interest and ask for advice; (4) choose your outfits/makeup and make sure you look confident and put together, like you're going to meet your boyfriend's parents for brunch; (5) do your best to relax...there are certain things that are within your control (conversations during recruitment, how you look, getting recommendations for every chapter, building up your resume with experiences like volunteering and internships/employment) and certain things that are no longer within your control (your junior standing, your GPA...good or bad, you can't change these anymore), so focus on what you can control now to have the best recruitment possible.

Good luck and let us know what happens! I know I'm always curious as to what ends up happening to the women we help through GC and where they end up.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post

Basically my main piece of advice is: if you are lucky enough to get a bid to ANY chapter, that is your golden ticket and you should take it and run with it..
I am taking this as my signature quote unless you protest. Your post was magnificent and brilliant.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I am taking this as my signature quote unless you protest. Your post was magnificent and brilliant.
I'd be honored. Thank you!

By the way, I'm not on very often, but I do lurk, and you consistently give honest and amazing advice.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinseggblue View Post
I'd be honored. Thank you!

By the way, I'm not on very often, but I do lurk, and you consistently give honest and amazing advice.
Cool. Thank you. I hope the OP pays close attention to what you and others have written.

And ditto for you. I don't know that I'd rate myself that highly though. Sometimes I really step in it. And I am blunt. Which people don't like. Oh well. Too bad so sad. Sigh.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I hear that there are already upwards of 2400 girls already signed up for recruitment at Alabama. I am sure this will again be the largest recruitment in the country. That is a LOT of girls to compete with and you are starting with a strike against you as a junior.

Read the advice you have been given here and take it very damned seriously. These women know what they are talking about. Alabama is the big leagues!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I hear that there are already upwards of 2400 girls already signed up for recruitment at Alabama.
There are towns with post offices that have fewer people than this. Lol
Old 07-07-2017, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Have you read this thread? It was started by another junior who was thinking of transferring to Alabama.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=109987
Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloMo Mom View Post
Have you read this thread? It was started by another junior who was thinking of transferring to Alabama.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=109987
Unfortunately, we never got the end to that story. The OP said she decided to transfer to USC (I assume University of Southern California) instead of Alabama. Never heard if she rushed there, but she said she planned to.