GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 954
2 members and 952 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 05-07-2014, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
My outsider opinion/

I think this is another scapegoat thread in which people type in circles and are eager to find reasons to sing Kumbaya, which is what happened when pattypnm123 (who may or may not really be a pnm) posted. Pattypnm123's post wasn't really that positive and upbeat considering she was only saying "I'm a Black person from a white environment...I fit in with the white people...I hope I don't get discriminated against...I will stay upbeat and see what happens."

I think people were too eager to make that the eureka and kumbaya moment of this thread because race discussions apparently need eureka and kumbaya moments. Now the attention has turned to Low D Sharp, which I understand in a general sense, but that's another scapegoat from deeper racial issues pertaining to this thread topic. That's all.

/My outsider opinion

I totally jumped on this bandwagon, but I also felt that PattyPNM expressed a really positive recruitment attitude regardless of race. I'm happy to applaud any PNM who comes across as particularly mature and open-minded.

Also, I was beginning to go down a rabbit hole of ridiculous debate, so I was happy for the uplifting distraction.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Dr. Phil does not give NPC recruitment advice. That is the difference.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Banned

(I give NPC recruitment advice in private messages. I charge $5 per private message. Don't tell anyone.)
Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
(I give NPC recruitment advice in private messages. I charge $5 per private message. Don't tell anyone.)
Old 05-07-2014, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
I. Died.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Banned

Old 05-08-2014, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I guess this thread has officially jumped the shark.
Since I can't figure out how to do it, feel free to post any appropriate .gifs.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ask and you shall receive:
Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, for heaven's sake. Everyone is entitled to feel that I don't belong here, but don't lump me in with the perps. I have never given an iota of "rush advice" to any PNM, nor have I ever represented myself falsely in my 12+ years as a GC user. If you care about undergraduate life on U.S. campuses, you need to care about Greek life. That's why I do.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I think her perception is fair. The problem is part of our unspoken mission is to fix some perceptions. While there certainly are more than enough examples of very strong, competitive chapters also being the stereotypical tall thin blondes on campus, repeating it is not helpful. It's not panhellenic and doesn't support "our mission" of helping all women of quality become successful members of their sororities, regardless of size or perceived strength of the chapter. It's kind of like talking about the family you're not part of. It's fair to see those stereotypes; it's not to repeat it here.

As an academic, I think she probably does have valuable insight to provide. Just not in this aspect of sorority life. The guys will occasionally insert an outsider's perspective, for instance, and what they say can be valid. But telling us how it is in membership selection? They would get called out too. And have.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
what certain chapters must be looking for
But I did not say this. I talked about _PNMs'_ possible perceptions of these chapters, and did not speculate at all about what was going on inside the chapters. I work with a lot of PNMs.

Quote:
It's fair to see those stereotypes; it's not to repeat it here.
Well, I think I understand your point of view.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
But I did not say this. I talked about _PNMs'_ possible perceptions of these chapters, and did not speculate at all about what was going on inside the chapters. I work with a lot of PNMs.

Well, I think I understand your point of view.
You shouldn't talk about their "possible perceptions" of certain chapters. That only continues the tent talk. I don't care if you work with a lot of PNMs. If you were never a PNM and have not gone through recruitment, please don't hand out advice or talk about possible perceptions. Many PNMs come on this website to learn about sorority and fraternity recruitment.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
You shouldn't talk about their "possible perceptions" of certain chapters. That only continues the tent talk. I don't care if you work with a lot of PNMs. If you were never a PNM and have not gone through recruitment, please don't hand out advice or talk about possible perceptions. Many PNMs come on this website to learn about sorority and fraternity recruitment.
I'm not optimistic that this thread will return to topic, but many participants on this thread have talked about "possible" (probable, actually) "perceptions" of chapters at UofA in regard to minorities, as well as the possible perceptions of minority PNMs involved in recruitment on this campus.

Having a Greek membership of some type somewhere does not render one knowledgeable about massive Southern recruitments or qualified to speculate on what these chapters think or how an AA new member would be treated by these chapters.

This, as well, is tantamount to tent talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I just hope that people who come on and read these threads are careful about whose advice they take knowing some people have no qualms about dispensing it freely without any experience in Greek life to back it up.
I hope they realize as well that much of the speculation regarding UofA chapters is dispensed without any experience with Bama recruitment or chapter membership to back it up.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
It may certainly be a barrier (it is a barrier to any student who cannot afford it). I did a brief search for some demographics on the cost issue and tripped across this study which (among other issues) explores cost, social class perception, and familial influences (who knew the Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors had a research journal?):

ASIAN AMERICAN WOMEN’S PERSPECTIVES ON HISTORICALLY WHITE SORORITY LIFE: A CRITICAL RACE THEORY AND CULTURAL CAPITAL ANALYSIS
http://afa1976.org/Portals/0/documen...20Fall2012.pdf

I don't see a way to make the cost of a social organization fair to those (of any race) who cannot afford the cost -- or even separate it from the social class perception the (OP) article perpetuates.
Quoting so I can find this link again. It was a good paper but it seems to be "back dooring" a racist element into what the author admits is primarily a financial barrier.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd be very interested to know how things have changed in Greek life at "Southern U" (thinly disguised) since the interviews took place in 2003. Overall demographics there changed very rapidly in the 2000s. The author reports that the undergrad population was 6% Asian and 50% Southern; just 10 years later, it's 10.6% Asian and only 35% Southern. So I don't know if that's translated into a shift in the way non-white students perceive the HW Greek system there.