GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,918
1 members and 1,917 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 05-04-2014, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorority crest needlepoint kits...any suggestions?

I'm trying to find cross-stitch needlepoint kits for Gamma Phi Beta and Pi Beta Phi. I'm looking for crest designs, which could be framed. This is the only kit I've found so far, but there aren't any pictures to go with the designs. Has anyone made these? Are they good quality?

http://www.greekgear.com/sofrneki.html
Old 05-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have a great pamphlet with Pi Phi cross stitch designs that you could borrow--I may have a needlepoint crest one around here somewhere. My cross stitch designs also include carnations.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how well this works, but have you tried an online program that allows you to use images from your computer? I found this: http://www.myphotostitch.com/ but I haven't tried it myself. Maybe upload a JPG of the crest you want??
Old 05-04-2014, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I'm trying to find cross-stitch needlepoint kits for Gamma Phi Beta and Pi Beta Phi. I'm looking for crest designs, which could be framed. This is the only kit I've found so far, but there aren't any pictures to go with the designs. Has anyone made these? Are they good quality?

http://www.greekgear.com/sofrneki.html
I've done the Sigma Kappa one. It was fine. If I did it again, I'd use the pattern on a tighter fabric so the design isn't as crude. I also only paid $3.00 for the kit on ebay. I don't think I'd pay $23 for it....

I've also bought one of these: https://www.etsy.com/listing/9540793...ek-letters-and

but I haven't had the need to make any of them yet....

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 05-04-2014, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the early '90s, there was a cross stitch series called "The Social Greek". It had letters and mascots, but I can't remember if a crest design was included. You can still find them on eBay from time to time. I did a Delta Chi crest for my husband when we were in college. The local Greek shop sold those patterns.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

That's the series I have! I have my daughters' groups and several more because when the seller heard how many daughters we have, she threw in a bunch more.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 PM

Back in the day, I created my own AEPhi cross stitch pattern. I used Microsoft Paint, chose the "symbol" font, turned the font size down to something like 24pt, typed in "AEF", and bazinga - instant pattern. I made up a lily-of-the-valley pattern to pair with it. I've made two - one for myself and one for the woman who was my big sister in my local.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

AZ-Alpha Xi did a Kappa Alpha Theta Coat of Arms cross-stitch for me as a gift. It's freaking awesome. I'll ask her where she got the pattern.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-04-2014, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
AZ-Alpha Xi did a Kappa Alpha Theta Coat of Arms cross-stitch for me as a gift. It's freaking awesome. I'll ask her where she got the pattern.
I got it on line .. I don't remember where now .. the pattern says Your Accents Dayton, OH
Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Just last month I purchased a cross stitch kit for Sigma Gamma Rho from a greek store in Houston called Joe Toga.

I did a search on their web site for a Gamma Phi Beta and Pi Phi kits but nothing came up.

The SGR cross stitch kit I have was made by a company called Your Accents located in Dayton, OH. I Googled the company and they don't seem to have a store web page, but their contact info came up in YP.com. Their address in my kit has them at 4100 Breckenridge Rd., but on YP.com the address is 4502 Troon Trl. Maybe they moved?
Old 05-05-2014, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
Just last month I purchased a cross stitch kit for Sigma Gamma Rho from a greek store in Houston called Joe Toga.

I did a search on their web site for a Gamma Phi Beta and Pi Phi kits but nothing came up.

The SGR cross stitch kit I have was made by a company called Your Accents located in Dayton, OH. I Googled the company and they don't seem to have a store web page, but their contact info came up in YP.com. Their address in my kit has them at 4100 Breckenridge Rd., but on YP.com the address is 4502 Troon Trl. Maybe they moved?
I found them for both Gamma Phi and Pi Phi by that company for sale here:

http://stitch4u.com/store/index.php?...products_id=41

http://stitch4u.com/store/index.php?...products_id=48

I have no idea abouth the quality of them since I am a disaster with any needle arts.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
The ones linked are the same ones you originally posted, like I said.... they come out nicely, but I would use a tighter woven fabric rather than the aida 14 or whatever it comes with if you'd like the details to be more clear an dless "boxy".... You can also find them online other places for less than $23 a piece.

For example, these are similar to the Your Accents ones.... you should see if they still have the groups you want at $5 each: http://www.stitchinpostnashville.com...ubCategory=239

I also came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gamma-Phi-Be...-/190789512359

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 05-05-2014, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I thought that design was cute, but the more I looked at it, the "busier" it looked. I like the Gamma Phi Beta crest by itself, since the crest includes the letters. I ordered the two crest designs from Greek Gear. I think I might add the Pi Beta Phi letters below the Pi Phi crest when I make my daughter's, if that's OK (Pi Phis?). I just finished making her a W&L crest from a kit I bought at the university bookstore, and they would look nice next to each other.

While searching on ebay, I did come across this "vintage" kit. Check out the embroidered DG cut-off jean shorts...yikes!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-GREEKS-B..._qi=RTM1562572

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 05-05-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
^^^^ I have that pattern :-)