GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,190
2 members and 1,188 guests
3DGator, FSUZeta

Old 09-22-2012, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Fundraiser ideas?

I have to host 2 fundraisers, and I need some help thinking of ideas. What sorts of things do you think are a good idea?

Thanks!!
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you think a pasta dinner is a good idea? I was thinking that I could invite my friends, and some sisters, and charge something like $3 a plate or something like that. I love cooking, and pasta and sauce is really cheap!!
Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 AM

How much help will you have with this event?

If you don't have enough people assisting you things could end up like this.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I could probably get my housemates to help out (I live w/5 other girls)...but I'm not sure.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulInterest View Post
I have to host 2 fundraisers, and I need some help thinking of ideas. What sorts of things do you think are a good idea?

Thanks!!
Fundraiser for.......?

How much money do you need to raise?

Quote:
Do you think a pasta dinner is a good idea? I was thinking that I could invite my friends, and some sisters, and charge something like $3 a plate or something like that. I love cooking, and pasta and sauce is really cheap!!
How many people do you expect to attend?

Is it easy for attendees to get to the event?

What about parking?

How much money will it cost for the ingredients/space/plates/etc.?

How much money do you need to make after figuring in the cost to put it on (a.k.a. profit)?

How many people do you need to help?

We cannot give you ideas without knowing some specifics.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Fundraiser for.......?

How much money do you need to raise?

How many people do you expect to attend?

Is it easy for attendees to get to the event?

What about parking?

How much money will it cost for the ingredients/space/plates/etc.?

How much money do you need to make after figuring in the cost to put it on (a.k.a. profit)?

How many people do you need to help?

We cannot give you ideas without knowing some specifics.
Fundraisers for me as a sorority interest.

There is no amount I need since it's just for me to help cover the cost of orientation if/when I pledge/become a sister.

I'm talking about something extremely small (10-15 people max) since I basically have to do it on my own as I'm currently the only official interest of the chapter. I basically am planning on inviting my friends and sisters and that's it.

I was thinking about just holding it at my house on campus, so most people will walk, since most of my friends live on campus, and for any sisters who come, there is parking on campus available.

To give 10-15 people each a plate, the cost of food would be about $10 (4 packs of pasta and 4 things of sauce), and if I had each plate be $3, I could make $30-45 which means a profit of $25-35.

I could conceivably do it on my own, but of course, having help would make it easier.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

There is no amount I need since it's just for me to help cover the cost of orientation if/when I pledge/become a sister.

I'm talking about something extremely small (10-15 people max) since I basically have to do it on my own as I'm currently the only official interest of the chapter. I basically am planning on inviting my friends and sisters and that's it.

I was thinking about just holding it at my house on campus, so most people will walk, since most of my friends live on campus, and for any sisters who come, there is parking on campus available.

To give 10-15 people each a plate, the cost of food would be about $10 (4 packs of pasta and 4 things of sauce), and if I had each plate be $3, I could make $30-45 which means a profit of $25-35.

I could conceivably do it on my own, but of course, having help would make it easier.
Okay, I was asking the questions rhetorically. I didn't expect an answer. But since you did answer, I am kind of appalled.

I expected that it was for charity of some sort, but you are asking other people - namely, your friends - to fund your desired membership?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have to host 2 fundraisers
Quote:

So, do you have to host 2 fundraisers to demonstrate some kind of skill in organizing such an event, or is this something you're doing because you need extra cash?

If it's the first, that's one thing.
If it's the second, I think it's a bit tacky to ask friends (and potential sisters) to fund your membership.

Quote:
To give 10-15 people each a plate, the cost of food would be about $10 (4 packs of pasta and 4 things of sauce), and if I had each plate be $3, I could make $30-45 which means a profit of $25-35
So, all you'll have is noodles with sauce? No salad? No bread? No drinks? No dessert?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
So, all you'll have is noodles with sauce? No salad? No bread? No drinks? No dessert?
no plates? no napkins? no plastic ware?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Okay, I was asking the questions rhetorically. I didn't expect an answer. But since you did answer, I am kind of appalled.

I expected that it was for charity of some sort, but you are asking other people - namely, your friends - to fund your desired membership?
If you were asking rhetorically you shouldn't have said that you need more info in order to help.

I would gladly pay out of pocket, but I'm required to do fundraising.

Quote:
So, do you have to host 2 fundraisers to demonstrate some kind of skill in organizing such an event, or is this something you're doing because you need extra cash?

If it's the second, I think it's a bit tacky to ask friends (and potential sisters) to fund your membership.

I have to host them to demonstrate organizational skills.

I may have salad or bread, and I'll have drinks, but I have a ton of juice and water already on hand, so I'm not counting that in cost (I ave about 4 things of juice of various kinds stored under my bed which is more than plenty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
no plates? no napkins? no plastic ware?
I was going to use the plates, cups and silverware that we have in the house. We probably have about 20 plates, 15 cups, and 20+ sets of flatware along with 4-5 rolls of paper towels.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

You can also have a garage sale. Get people to donate items and sell them. Whatever is left over after the sale can be taken to Goodwill.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

It may be tacky, but it is something the organization is requiring, so I think she should invite the whole chapter so they can see how hard she has worked. And I think she should charge $5 a plate (you'll raise more money and you won't have to have tons of singles on hand to make change.).

And if people can't come, ask them to donate anyway, and you can give a plate away in their name or something since the idea is to raise money. If you do that, you can promote it to friends and family who live far away and want to help out. You can even start a fundraising site online with youcaring.com. (friends of mine are using that site to help raise money for another friend who has cancer. Insurance covers their medical expenses, but not the time missed from work, etc., so it is a great way to be able to contribute online, and the site doesn't take money from those donating unless they volunteer a contribution to the site).
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like you really aren't asking us for fundraising ideas or feedback. You have made up your mind that you are going to do a "spaghetti dinner" and charge your friends to eat.

Not seeing how this is demonstrating other than rudimentary organizational skills, let alone fundraising skills. Fundraising per se is an event to raise money to benefit a cause. What you're proposing seems to be to benefit YOU (to offset membership costs). I suppose you can make a case for how you are a worthy cause, and I'm sure you'll explain it to me (how this is really fundraising).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
It sounds like you really aren't asking us for fundraising ideas or feedback. You have made up your mind that you are going to do a "spaghetti dinner" and charge your friends to eat.

Not seeing how this is demonstrating other than rudimentary organizational skills, let alone fundraising skills. Fundraising per se is an event to raise money to benefit a cause. What you're proposing seems to be to benefit YOU (to offset membership costs). I suppose you can make a case for how you are a worthy cause, and I'm sure you'll explain it to me (how this is really fundraising).
I haven't made up my mind in any way. It was an idea I posed, and I have stated how it would be executed if I did it. I don't see how you see me as not asking for ideas or feedback...

The definition of fundraising is: "Raising money for a cause or project", or "The organized activity of raising funds (as for an institution or political cause)."

So fundraising doesn't have to be something that benefits a cause, it can be benefiting a project (in this case, pledging the org) and hosting a pasta dinner would be considered fundraising because it would be raising money for a project, or if you want to stretch it a bit, an institution (the sorority).
Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

First you post this:

Quote:

Thanks!!
Then, you post this:

Quote:
And you spend the balance of the thread elaborating on your spaghetti plans and not responding to any other suggestions or ideas, which is why I wrote what I did (see the bolded).

Quote:
I haven't made up my mind in any way. It was an idea I posed, and I have stated how it would be executed if I did it. I don't see how you see me as not asking for ideas or feedback...

The definition of fundraising is: "Raising money for a cause or project", or "The organized activity of raising funds (as for an institution or political cause)."

So fundraising doesn't have to be something that benefits a cause, it can be benefiting a project (in this case, pledging the org) and hosting a pasta dinner would be considered fundraising because it would be raising money for a project, or if you want to stretch it a bit, an institution (the sorority).
Re: last paragraph. You're going to "donate" the money raised to yourself. Let's just be clear on that point.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-01-2012 at 05:15 PM.