GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,351
0 members and 2,351 guests
No Members online

Old 01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Semi-Live Recruitment Story!

Hi all! My best friend from high school is a Sophomore who began recruitment yesterday! To conceal her identity, we'll call her Emma. She goes to a small school with only six NPC sororities! She began recruitment last year, but decided to drop after day 2. This year, though, she's doing better already and has high hopes!

The theme of this thread will be big cities!

New York
Tokyo
London
Boston
Miami
Chicago

Day one began yesterday afternoon. Emma had to miss her first party because it started while classes were still in session. This was Tokyo's party. She was not a fan of Tokyo last year, so she didn't mind missing the party.

She went to Boston first and fell in love. She has two friends in that chapter and felt like they were much more engaging than they had been the year before. She really enjoyed their philanthropy and felt a strong connection to the girls and had a really great time!

Next was New York. She also had a friend in this chapter from our high school. She found these girls to be kind of rude and superficial. One even looked at Emma's watch to see what time it was and complained about how much longer the party was and how much her feet hurt. NOT ok.

Emma went to London next. She hadn't been much of a fan of them the year before, but she was willing to give them another chance. She said she was bored, though, and the girls did not seem prepared to have conversations. All in all, she was disappointed with them.

Then Emma went to Chicago. This had been her favorite last year. She really liked the girls she met and they were very bubbly and fun, yet mellow and real. She liked how down to earth they were and really appreciated their philanthropy. This was still her favorite.

Emma's last party was Miami. She knew a girl in this chapter who she actually ended up talking to. She was so excited and really enjoyed their conversation. She wasn't sure she could see herself in the chapter, but she really liked the girls!

At the end of the day, Emma made her selections.

She chose to keep
Miami
Chicago
Boston
New York

she dropped
London
Tokyo

Last edited by aab225; 01-21-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-21-2012, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Rootin' for the Windy City!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Today, Emma returned to recruitment. Last year, this was the day she ended up dropping because she was only invited to London and Tokyo, and after going to their parties again, she chose to drop out of recruitment. She was very nervous about today.

She was invited back to
Tokyo
London
Boston

She was pretty upset about Chicago, but was happy to still have Boston as an option.

Her first party was London. She still didn't really like their vibes. She didn't feel it was a good fit for her, and was bored. I have been trying to encourage her to keep a positive attitude, but I'm not sure I'm getting through. She left pretty discouraged.

Next she had Boston. She said it went really really well again and that they talked about sisterhood and philanthropy a lot. She felt she was engaged but wasn't sure she'd be memorable. She really liked them, though, and really hopes to get invited back tomorrow.

Emma went to Tokyo last. She felt Tokyo was a really slow, long party, and could not find any common ground with the girls she talked to. She was sweet, though, and did her best to seem interested.

She chose to keep
Boston
London

and ranked
Tokyo

Last edited by aab225; 01-21-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

You have London twice. Which is supposed to be Tokyo?

Good luck to your friend!

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

my apologies! it's been fixed!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad news. After being dropped by Boston, Emma has decided not to continue her recruitment. I tried desperately to convince her to give Tokyo and London a shot at their pref parties, but she simply refuses. I wish there was more I could say to convince her that finishing recruitment is the best possible decision she could make. I know so many people who did not end up in the sororities they originally hoped for, and I've read so many stories on here that end that way. I find that those people 99% of the time end up LOVING their sorority and are happy with their decision. If only I could get through to her...
Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Aww, sad news for sure. Poor Emma.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab225 View Post
Sad news. After being dropped by Boston, Emma has decided not to continue her recruitment. I tried desperately to convince her to give Tokyo and London a shot at their pref parties, but she simply refuses. I wish there was more I could say to convince her that finishing recruitment is the best possible decision she could make. I know so many people who did not end up in the sororities they originally hoped for, and I've read so many stories on here that end that way. I find that those people 99% of the time end up LOVING their sorority and are happy with their decision. If only I could get through to her...
If it's that small of a school and the chapters are small, around 50ish or less, then she might feel truly uncomfortable at Tokyo and London. If that's the case, I would not push it.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If it's that small of a school and the chapters are small, around 50ish or less, then she might feel truly uncomfortable at Tokyo and London. If that's the case, I would not push it.
Yeah, but attending pref parties != signing a bid card. We have certainly seen other women who have really changed their minds at pref. If someone wanted to be Greek enough to rush twice, it's disappointing that she wouldn't even see it through to the end.