GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,202
3 members and 1,199 guests
lauralaylin, naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-29-2003, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by beachgal118
I think it is great for girls to visit every house initially, for exactly the reasons you stated. But the whole idea of houses cutting rushees becomes pretty absurd when you start to really think about it...
so are you saying, the rushees should just be able to pick any house they want and join? the sisters should have to end up living and socializing with women they have nothing in common with? no one should be cut and the houses should just get so huge they're unmanageable?

Part of the allure of the Greek system is that NOT everyone is a member. If everyone can join, it will just be like any other club. Do you really think people will pay sorority size-dues to be in a random club?

and as far as the guys, it's not like they don't "cut" rushees, it's just not done in the same way. mainly cause guys can understand no response = goodbye.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by daoine
I truly hope that everyone's Panhellenic Association double checks the bid lists and those who did not receive bids to make sure that it makes sense. While the software is going to most likely get it right -- the exhausted people entering the data are another story entirely.
This is exactly what I meant when I say the computer never messes up. From my experience in the rec. office, it's the PEOPLE who mess up. The computers obviously could always have bugs, but I think when people blame the computer program itself, it's mostly because it's easier to blame a computer than people. This is why I say you should never automatically blame the computer. In the office, we check, and double check, and triple check to make sure that the lists match. Rushees lie to houses, and houses lie to rushees about what they put on the lists, but they most often do that so as not to hurt any feelings. We in the office just got very tired of people coming in, complaining that the program put the rushee with the wrong house. Cause every time that we checked for them, it was never a computer mess up. If the house or a rushee wants to make themselves feel better, I guess they can go on believing it was a computer error if they want to, but if they want the truth, they need to go into the office and find out what really happend.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
so are you saying, the rushees should just be able to pick any house they want and join? the sisters should have to end up living and socializing with women they have nothing in common with? no one should be cut and the houses should just get so huge they're unmanageable?
Do you really think girls will join houses "they have nothing in common with"? Do you think the houses will really get that much bigger? At most state schools, only 15-18% of the student body is Greek. I would estimate that these schools pledge 75% or so of the rushees. The remaining 25% would by no means expand the houses to an extent that they would become unmanageable. Not everyone wants to join the greek system, and not everyone who does wants to join the same sorority. Besisdes, the majority of girls who rush ARE great girls, and many are heartbroken because of the "numbers".

Part of the allure of the Greek system is that NOT everyone is a member. If everyone can join, it will just be like any other club. Do you really think people will pay sorority size-dues to be in a random club?
This further perpetuates the elitist view that many have regarding greek life.

and as far as the guys, it's not like they don't "cut" rushees, it's just not done in the same way. mainly cause guys can understand no response = goodbye.
I didn't comment on IFC rush, though I do think that when a guy gets "cut", it is more likely because he may not be a good fit for the frat because their rush is on a smaller scale where the guys really get to know eachother. Whereas for girls, it may be for no reason at all or based on a 5 minute conversation (thinking in terms of large rushes where release figures are used).
Old 09-29-2003, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

hmmm...I tried to quote 33girl and post my response but I didn't do it right, so, sorry my post is kinda hard to read. ANyway, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, just thinking of possible alternatives
Old 09-29-2003, 02:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by beachgal118
hmmm...I tried to quote 33girl and post my response but I didn't do it right, so, sorry my post is kinda hard to read. ANyway, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, just thinking of possible alternatives
And I'm not trying to argue with you either, Beachgal
Old 09-29-2003, 10:33 AM

I'm not trying to argue either (and maybe this part of the discussion can be moved) but I did want to comment on one (okay, 2) of beachgal's statements. This is more addressed to freshmen - if they haven't been on campus very long, they don't know if they have anything in common with a group unless they go through something where they can meet ALL the groups. I mean if I would have gone through the type of rush you are describing and been able to pledge the sorority I THOUGHT I would love to be in, I would have been miserable.

and there is a difference between elite and selective. elite is snobby and stuck up for no reason. selective is choosing the people you feel a connection with. selective membership is part of greek life. I'm sure people we cut were welcomed with open arms elsewhere, and vice versa.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
beachgal--

I respectfully disagree with your opinion that the women should all get to choose where they want to go. It's a mutual selection process, and despite the plethora of flaws some see in it, it has worked for many years. The number of women who get "screwed" is not as large as everyone seems to think. I think that we notice the negative, and not the positive. As Angels&Arrows said, "Way to go girls and congratulations on a successful recruitement to AXO, ADPi, AEPhi, AGD, Alpha Phi, XO, Tri Delta, DG, DPhi, Gamma Phi, Theta, Kappa, SDT and Sigma Kappa!!! It is always wonderful to hear that 600NMs found homes!" I think that's a pretty good recruitment.