GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,254
1 members and 1,253 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Other online outlets besides GreekChat?

They say forums are dead. Sorry, GreekChat. I come here quite a bit for posts Google leads me to, but I'd like to know what else is out there.

Reddit doesn't have much sorority activity either. Does your sorority have its own little online hangout?

I guess just where else do you go if you aren't lurking or posting here about Greek life?
Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 AM

There is a sorority Reddit that I thought was quite active.

To be blunt, discussion in general is what’s nearly dead. It’s all about Instagram and how pretty your pictures look.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingkappa View Post
They say forums are dead. Sorry, GreekChat. I come here quite a bit for posts Google leads me to, but I'd like to know what else is out there.

Reddit doesn't have much sorority activity either. Does your sorority have its own little online hangout?

I guess just where else do you go if you aren't lurking or posting here about Greek life?
Just curious, did you ever join Beta Sigma Phi? Thinking they would have what you seek, I think, if I understand your post. I’m not aware of any places on line that sorority women inhabit and that have a lot of activity that would be of interest to non-members. Reddit does have a subreddit, geared more towards active members, not alumnae.

As for “hanging out”, we have alumnae groups for members. From my observation people are very busy living life and don’t “hang out” on line. Not sure what else to say.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-20-2019, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

So getting in is all about your instagram photos and how you look?
Old 04-20-2019, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog121 View Post

Not at all! The original post was about places to have online conversation regarding greek life. The responding post was concerning the decreased popularity of online forums and how they have been replaced by instagram.

I know many girls who do not even have a social media presence who are happy, invested members of chapters across the country.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog121 View Post
Um, gee. I read your other post this morning and you seem bitter. 33 was relating a shift in how humans are interacting on social media - that’s all she was doing. And she’s correct. Titchou offered you stellar advice in her reply to you on another thread. I would add this:

Look inside yourself. Be comfortable in your own skin. Confidence is intoxicating and will carry you far in life. Trust me on that point. Take the focus off everything and everyone else and focus on yourself. What’s your magic? Find it; we all have something very unique to share. If you truly desire a sisterhood and aren’t hung up on “tiers” (GAG) I guarantee you will have a successful recruitment. By that I mean you will have a bid, and if you desire, you will have a lifetime of sisterhood. The best sisters I’ve had on my life’s journey haven’t worn my letters. My truly BFF of DECADES is a Pi Beta Phi. I’m positive our shared sorority experiences laid the foundation for our friendship, as is she.

Okay, assuming you are in it for the long haul, I am here to encourage and support you. To that end, redefining your goal(s) is vital. You’re not just “getting“ in. You should be bringing a lot to the sorority when you join. In my case I brought great grades, a killer work ethic, and a zany personality that made people laugh and feel comfortable and at home. Fun is good, people like to laugh. Thankfully I can talk to virtually anyone about anything. It’s all in asking a question and sincerely being interested in the response. I’m no beauty queen, but you definitely want me on your side in a fight. Ask AZ-Alpha Xi or a host of others about that last statement.

Okay that’s enough out of me. Good luck. The choice is yours. There are many recruitment threads with valuable insights and help on GreekChat. Happy hunting!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-20-2019, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Friends has an online forum. It isn’t visited as much as Greek Chat and the last time I logged on, it looked like most of the conversation was between women who hold offices in Alumnae Chapters. If you’re interested in the possibility of Alumnae Initiation, I would suggest looking at some of the NPC member websites (if an NPC sorority is what you’re interested in) and look at their values and philanthropies to see which one best fits your interests. You can also look to see if they have an Alumnae Chapter near you. If you are interested in a sorority but don’t know any members in the area, you can reach out to their National Headquarters for guidance. I belong to an Alumnae Chapter of Alpha Sigma Alpha and HQ once sent me the name of a woman who was interested in Alumnae Initiation. I reached out to her, she came to one event and said she wouldn’t be able to attend the next two and we never heard from her again after that. You’ll need to show your willingness to volunteer and ability to balance your time right away. If you’re committed to putting the time in to finding your sorority “home” as an Alumnae (even in Alumnae Chapters you may find that the personalities in a chapter aren’t a best fit for you), I wish you the best!
Old 04-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

OP, please understand that it is easier to join some sororities as an Alumnae Initiate than others, so do a thorough search before contacting any sorority headquarters.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Little used but there.

http://greekcollegeforum.proboards.com/

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-21-2019, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/greekfriends/

This is the group I mentioned earlier. Not as active as this one but most of the activity is among alumni. I think if you continue to approach these forums using the nice writing tone that you have displayed here you will find others who do the same. Almost everyone on here is helpful but the tone of some messages can come off as dismissive even if they’re meant to be helpful. Again, best of luck!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

There is nothing like GreekChat!
The City-Data Forum (uses the same software) is still pretty active, but it's not about Greeks.
The closest I've found are sorority recruitment Facebook pages. There are very few of them, though, and they are focused on one school...except for the It's Greek to Me page that was set up for parents of sorority and fraternity members in school now. The Grown and Flown Facebook page is huge, but they tend to bash Greeks...which is how the It's Greek to Me page came to be set up.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, everyone. I thought I missed the opportunity to be part of a sorority As a junior transfer. I had no idea that orgs like BSP and ESA existed.

I did join BSP, and in “digging in” I learned about NPC alum chapters too. I have that kid in a candy store vibe about me right now. I’m interested in learning...

I have been working on an update to an old but popular Greek Chat post about sorority after college. It was so helpful, but also dated at this point. I’ve been on this quest to update with more info in case it helps others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Just curious, did you ever join Beta Sigma Phi? Thinking they would have what you seek, I think, if I understand your post.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

NPC alumna initiation possibilities are not a candy store. It comes across that your BSP membership is not fulfilling and that you are shopping around for a NPC Experience that you did not have in college. Is that true?

An AI experience will never be the same as joining while in college. As I stated before, AI is not common place and in some sororities is extremely rare.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
NPC alumna initiation possibilities are not a candy store. It comes across that your BSP membership is not fulfilling and that you are shopping around for a NPC Experience that you did not have in college. Is that true?

An AI experience will never be the same as joining while in college. As I stated before, AI is not common place and in some sororities is extremely rare.
QFT.

I advise trying to enrich the membership you already possess.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Just to add on to what the other ladies have said which is something to really think about. AI is a totally different experience. One thing to consider is that if (only you can answer that if) you aren't feeling fulfilled by your current experience, its entirely possible that you might encounter the same feelings if you were to pursue AI with an org.

As FSU Zeta mentioned its a different experience, and its not a common thing among groups that even offer that as an opportunity. I would recommend sitting down and writing down your thoughts on what you really are seeking out. Is it something that could be found within your current BSP membership with a bit of effort? Or maybe it is something out side of the greek experience entirely.

With any group of people and especially amongst GLOs its not always sleepovers, finding your soul sister, or cupcakes and cocktails. People are people with differing personalities, different successes and struggles within groups, etc. etc.