GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,882
0 members and 1,882 guests
No Members online

Old 07-29-2004, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Question What is Diversity?

What exactly does diversity mean to your particular GLO? I've heard people talk about the diversity in their organization but is it referring to the members ethnicity, religion, background? What exactly makes your particular GLO diverse?

At my chapter, we have ladies that are Caucasian, Latina, African-American, Indian, Native American. We are Catholic, Jewish, Mormon, Pentecostal, Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist, Hindu, and oddly enough, Jehovah's Witness. I say oddly b/c I was under the impression that Jehovah's Witnesses did not participate in groups like GLO's. The ladies of my chapter come from all over California, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, India, etc. Some have families with means & have parents who pay their educations as well as the financials for sorority. Others (like me) get by with student loans, grants, scholarships, and working part-time to make ends meet. I guess that's what makes us diverse.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2004, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Phi_Finch670
In my chapter its not exactly diversity as far as race ect.. but there are alot of different types of guys in it. For instance, I used to only hang out with my ROTC buddies, but now I have a bunch of freinds that are totaly different, that I would have otherwise never known.

Last edited by Phi_Finch670; 07-29-2004 at 02:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shima-Mizu
I'd say diversity goes for a variety of things. Race is sometimes thought of us as one of them, but it's not really the big one that everyone thinks about when you say it.

When someone says that they think my sorority is diverse, I think it's because of how different all of girls are. Many of us have differing majors, and different activities we're involved in on campus. Yet we just click so well because it's not about being the same that keeps you together, it's about the bond we form as sisters.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
This brings up an interesting point. I know people say that their greek is "diverse" but they mean the OVERALL all chapters, if you look at their greek or even in their composite pics or bid day pics I gurantee you its 99 percent caucasion. I believe if you are going to use the word "diversity" it should be close to half of your chapter not one or 50 members of the WHOLE ABC 200 chapters. This irks me!
I can say that mine is diverse due to diff religions, culture, deaf/hearing, and ethnicity.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Traditionally, diversity just means race. In America, we seem to be obsessed with race.

Dictionary.com refers to diversity as "The fact or quality of being diverse; difference."

What it is and what we often think it is are apparently two different things.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

CASIGKAP brings up an excellent point as to why the word itself is deadly for any org., not just Greek, since no one knows what it means! When my chapter refers to our diversity, we are usually indicating the various personality types that co-exist, we have laid-back girls, high-strung girls, overachievers, artists, athletes - all trying to get along. It's wonderful though, because we bring all kinds of experiences to the table. I just wish that we could find a different word to express it!
Old 07-29-2004, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
We've got quite a few different personalities along with different ethnicities. We have the really enthusiastic types, the leaders, the overachievers, the cheerleaders, the groovy-low key ones, quiet girls, shy ones, etc etc etc. There's gotta be a match for everyone in the sorority, personality wise. Ethnicity wise: Caucasions, African Americans, Indian, Latinas, Asians... and lots of mixes.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
The women from my particular chapter come from a wide variety of backgrounds, but I think more importantly, we have a wide variety of interests. Some women in my chapter are Caucasian, Indian, South American, etc. But they're also athletes, intellectuals, poor, rich, political activists, cheerleaders, artists... you name it.

I think the most important thing my sorority has given me is the ability to interact with people (not just women) of different backgrounds.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-29-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

This was my point exactly. Granted most people believe diversity consists of race but I always felt that diversity had to be more than just that.
The ladies of Gamma Theta not only come from completely different backgrounds, we all have different interests. We have our party girls, our studious ones, the quiet ones, the carefree ones, the loud girls, the peacemaker, the drama queen etc.
Our majors also span the board. I'm an English & Communications major, we have Nursing, Pre-Med, History, Political Science, Computer Engineering, Bio-Chemical Engineers (this one threw me off b/c the gal who has this major is not what you'd expect a Bio-Chem major to be), Biology, Math, Art, Fashion Design & Merchandising, etc. It's amazing that we have all these differences yet still found something in common to make us sisters.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CASIGKAP
This was my point exactly. Granted most people believe diversity consists of race but I always felt that diversity had to be more than just that.
The ladies of Gamma Theta not only come from completely different backgrounds, we all have different interests. We have our party girls, our studious ones, the quiet ones, the carefree ones, the loud girls, the peacemaker, the drama queen etc.
Our majors also span the board. I'm an English & Communications major, we have Nursing, Pre-Med, History, Political Science, Computer Engineering, Bio-Chemical Engineers (this one threw me off b/c the gal who has this major is not what you'd expect a Bio-Chem major to be), Biology, Math, Art, Fashion Design & Merchandising, etc. It's amazing that we have all these differences yet still found something in common to make us sisters.
See, I don't really consider that as diversity. Technically it is, however that type of "diversity" is very common. I've never heard of a GLO or any other social organization that had all or mostly math majors, party guys/girls, etc. In every group and organzation there will be a variety of personalities and interests. There will always be "the quiet girl/guy", "the leader", "the peacemaker" and the like. But how often do you see buddhists, muslims, Christians, and the Jewish in the same group? Or, Nigerians, the Irish, and Guatamalans in the same group?

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 07-29-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
See, I don't really consider that as diversity. Technically it is, however that type of "diversity" is very common. I've never heard of a GLO or any other social organization that had all or mostly math majors, party guys/girls, etc. In every group and organzation there will be a variety of personalities and interests. There will always be "the quiet girl/guy", "the leader", "the peacemaker" and the like. But how often do you see buddhists, muslims, Christians, and the Jewish in the same group? Or, Nigerians, the Irish, and Guatamalans in the same group?
If you read my first post, I did mention that there are ladies of different ethnicities. Caucasion, African-American, Indian, Latina (this includes Mexican, Puerto Rican, Columbian, Brazilian, and Peruvian). We also have Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians (Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Anglicans, and Pentecostals). Diversity is not solely related to race or religion. Someone earlier posted a definition where diversity is classified as whatever it is that makes you different.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CASIGKAP
If you read my first post, I did mention that there are ladies of different ethnicities. Caucasion, African-American, Indian, Latina (this includes Mexican, Puerto Rican, Columbian, Brazilian, and Peruvian). We also have Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Hindus, Buddhists, Christians (Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Anglicans, and Pentecostals). Diversity is not solely related to race or religion. Someone earlier posted a definition where diversity is classified as whatever it is that makes you different.
I did read your first post, and according to what you posted about your chapter, it is EXTREMELY diverse. I was just saying that I don't really consider an organization with a variety of personalities as diverse. Of course, that was just my opinion. Sorry if I didn't explain that correctly.

^^^

Old 07-29-2004, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't worry about it. I truly believe that what helps make us so diverse is that I live & attend school in California. I can't think of anyplace else where the diversity is so rich in different cultures & values. It's amazing. One of my favorite memories is sitting around the house having an impromptu BBQ when someone gave me a burger. I sadly told them that I couldn't eat it b/c it was Friday during Lent & I had given up red meat. The next thing I know, quite a few girls start spitting out their burgers b/c they had forgotten about it. We had to eat all the side dishes & make bean & cheese burritos while the rest of the gals had the burgers.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
i disagree, i find that a lot of campuses have orgs that are known as the 'party house' or the 'study house' and stuff...but do you want to distinguish between personal membership opinions or stereotypes? because i think a lot of us can come up with a 'label' for our org, even if it didn't apply to every single member.

and you have interest fraternities/sororities, like business, government, music, service, so on some level, they all have to share SOMETHING, otherwise what would distinguise Alpha Chi from Sigma Kappa or Gamma Phi, etc.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXOKatie
i disagree, i find that a lot of campuses have orgs that are known as the 'party house' or the 'study house' and stuff...but do you want to distinguish between personal membership opinions or stereotypes? because i think a lot of us can come up with a 'label' for our org, even if it didn't apply to every single member.
Yeah, but those are reputations. There's a sorority on my campus known as "the party girls", I've seen several of these girls in class and at parties. There may be more party girls in that sorority compared to ABC and XYZ, but I wouldn't classify them as a party sorority. They don't classify themselves as that. Same thing with "pretty boy" house, lol.

^^^

Last edited by Dionysus; 07-29-2004 at 01:10 PM.