GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,725
1 members and 1,724 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 12-19-2003, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
I thought so.

There have been several movies filmed in and around UofT though.
Good Will Hunting was filmed in Toronto. I know that one of the residences (don't remember which one) was used for Minnie Driver's character's dorm room. The Upfront Bar and Grill was used as the interiors of the "bar scene" and I heard somewhere that both Hart House and Sid Smith were used. If you go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119217/locations it would give you a basic list of locations.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Good Will Hunting was filmed in Toronto. I know that one of the residences (don't remember which one) was used for Minnie Driver's character's dorm room. The Upfront Bar and Grill was used as the interiors of the "bar scene" and I heard somewhere that both Hart House and Sid Smith were used. If you go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119217/locations it would give you a basic list of locations.
Well there go. You learn something new every day.

Central tech was used in the movie. My brother went there. I don't remeber seeing the school in that film. I'll have to watch it again.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile

It's a very rare day when you see an Alpha Delta Pi reference. Our IO is terribly strict about the use of the name! In fact, the only time I can think of is when Alpha Delta Pi Jean Smart, playing Charlene on Designing Women, talks about some adorable coed, with her little Alpha Delta Pi pin...
Somebody who has more knowledge than I have let me know if I'm wrong, but as far as I know a sorority can't STOP someone from using the name in a book or TV show -- they can only sue if they feel the name has been used improperly. The reason why lots of writers make up GLO names instead of using real ones isn't because they couldn't get permission, it's because they don't want to get sued.

Back to the subject: there's also the episode of Sex and the City where Charlotte talks about how she was a Kappa.

In the book version of "Legally Blonde," Elle is a DG, and Theta and Kappa are also mentioned (I think Brooke is a Kappa and the killer is a Theta, although it could be the other way around -- I haven't actually read the book).
Old 12-19-2003, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
In the book version of "Legally Blonde," Elle is a DG, and Theta and Kappa are also mentioned (I think Brooke is a Kappa and the killer is a Theta, although it could be the other way around -- I haven't actually read the book).
if i remember correctly, Brooke was a Theta. I can't remember any Kappa references though. it's been a few weeks and even more books since i've read it!
Old 12-19-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The woman host from win Ben Stein's money is a Phi Sig and she also wrote the movie the sweetest thing with Selma Blair and Christina Applegate... Although she didn't include any refrences in the movie that I noticed...
Old 12-19-2003, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Don't you mean "bashful" and "blush"? I love that movie
i decided to quote Sally Fields as opposed to Julia Roberts...i can't assume everyone has seen Steel Magnolias
Old 12-19-2003, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by OUlioness01
i decided to quote Sally Fields as opposed to Julia Roberts...i can't assume everyone has seen Steel Magnolias
What's Steel Magnolias?
Old 12-19-2003, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by suzipiphi
In a book by Fannie Flagg(she wrote fried green tomatoes) the main character is a Kappa. I think it was that book that made me decide to seek greek.
I was just going to mention this! It's called Welcome to the World, Baby Girl! and is a pretty good book!

Quote:
Originally posted by mullet81
don't forget Laurie on trading spaces singing "kappa, kappa cabana"
Yep! She was featured in The Key a few issues back. It was a very nice article!

Hmm... can't think of any others off the top of my head (though that could have more to do with the entire bottle of Reisling I drank at my company's Christmas lunch more than anything!)
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippiechick
The movie "The Little Mermaid" holds special meaning for Zetas.
I heard about that, and I'm sooooo jealous!!! The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite movies.....ever!!!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

For all who don't know the woman who invented the care bears is a tri-sigma. Therefor the first care bear had 3 purple stars (or hearts???) on it. That is the only homage that I know of. Though, being someone who had a care bear, i love it.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Quote:
Originally posted by mu_agd
if i remember correctly, Brooke was a Theta. I can't remember any Kappa references though. it's been a few weeks and even more books since i've read it!
You're right. Brooke's a Theta. Chutney, the murderer, is a Kappa.

That really made me laugh when I read it.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Somebody who has more knowledge than I have let me know if I'm wrong, but as far as I know a sorority can't STOP someone from using the name in a book or TV show -- they can only sue if they feel the name has been used improperly. The reason why lots of writers make up GLO names instead of using real ones isn't because they couldn't get permission, it's because they don't want to get sued.

I'd have to go into a Way Back machine to remember the exact quote, but there was something in our New Members Education that states this policy in very explicit terms, which included the use by a chapter or anyone else without permission. I do remember our NME Mom saying that it's that old "a lady's name is only in the paper when she's born, married, and dies" tradition - complete with rolling eyes! We were advised to just deal with it.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Hijack!

Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
What's Steel Magnolias?
Ladies we need to educate this man.
Russell, it's "the funniest movie ever to make you cry" Here is the IMDB link about it. I highly reccommend that you rent it & watch it.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

sorta on the subject

For those fraternity guys that play Playstation II to kill time...

If you play NCAA Football 2002, at the University of Oklahoma Stadium, there is an SAE "poster" in one of the end zones. It was so neat to see being that I went to OU and was an SAE
Old 12-31-2003, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Drumline has a part scene where KKY's are stepping, and there's 2 girls wearing SAI letters. Also at one point you can see TBS letters for a brief moment. Cool stuff!