GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,728
1 members and 1,727 guests
Overthinker

Old 10-03-2001, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey ladies,
it's interesting to hear all the different ways we go about our business. In my GLO our New Member program can be no less than 4 weeks and no more than 6 weeks. During this time the new members do learn all the history. as for grades, we go by highschool gpa for freshmen. I do think sometimes that it would be better to have a longer new member program so that all actives really get to know the new member(and to give them time to get their money in! )
Old 10-03-2001, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

8 Weeks long??

Well I should probably change my name, because I'm a brother now, not a brother to be.

Damasa you said 8 weeks is a long time to pledge? I don't think it's that long. I was pinned as a pledge on February 3, 2001 and I was initiated Saturday, September 22, 2001.

That seemed like a long time to me, but it was all worth it in the end. I do feel like I have earned my spot at the table. My fraternity does wait for grades to come in, we had to make a 2.35 as pledges.

You might wonder what my fraternal affiliation is... let's just say I've been found worthy.

Somebody will know what that means.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl
Sorry, but I just thought of something, are we maybe getting pledging mixed up with Initiation? Even if school started in Aug its still seems a wee bit early for initiation.
Nope, it's not too early...we are having Fireside this Friday and Initation on Saturday.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

But then, we started school around the 20th of August and had rush the week before...
Old 10-03-2001, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
yes...I do feel that 8 weeks is quite a while....at times....maybe it is because we put in so much work that we would like it shorter than usual....For freshman..we go off hs gpa...sophmore and up...from the gpa from the previous semester/year.....

I guess it's just how your certain initation process goes

d
Old 10-03-2001, 08:54 PM

My chapter typically held initiation about 8 weeks after pledging. 8 weeks is plenty of time to learn the sorority's history, your chapter's history, meet your pledge sisters, meet most if not all of the active sisters, and fulfill other new member obligations (like earning pearls - AEPhi does that too, only we have 27 ).

Another sorority on my campus initiated after only 4 weeks. Now that's a little too short a time!!

We didn't wait for grades to initiate; we used the GPA we had (high school GPA for 1st semester freshmen) as one of our criteria for extending a bid, and if the new sister later didn't make grades, it was no different from an older sister not making grades... you'd meet with the scholarship chair, draw up a study plan, etc.

I don't understand how a sorority can get rid of the idea of testing the NMs - don't you have to know your sorority's history?? My chapter did have a rule, though, that at least one sister had to sit with the new member class and take the test with them; that way the NMs weren't being "forced" to do something no sister was doing. But nothing happened to the sister if she failed
Old 10-03-2001, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zntke711
I know most fraternities have a 8 week period but no one follows it fraternity wise.
Yep, I gotta agree. We're supposed to do a "6-8 week new-member program." Yeah, whatever. We hold for grades, so we associate our NM's in Early Sept and they are initiated in early jan, before school starts. In the spring we Associate in early Feb and initiate in May after grades come out. (so spring is a month shorter 'cause theres no holiday break.) With my org, as long as your chapter is big, and you bring in enough $$ to them, there are some things you can get away with. This being one of them. When asked we just say its a "school rule" and the org backs off. Then we send the consultant on his little way.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

everyone Thank you

It's been very interesting to see all the different new member programs, however even 8 weeks as prescribed as NPC seems too short for me.

I find it interesting that some consider an extend pledge program as a subtle form of Hazing. That I dont' get, perhaps sorority pledge programs really are more along of the lines of being judged for membership due to the hectic and IMHO all together too short rush. As opposed to open rush that frats do, but that's an entirely different issue I have.

I feel a semester is a decent timeframe, the stretching out of history would actually be more of a help, b/c then less material is being covered, so time that should be spent studying for classes isn't used for far less important chapter lore test. Perhaps b/c our pledge program is so multifaceted--developing brotherhood (not only among pledge class but also nearly all the actives except for the ones who live out), intellect and good study habits, making pledges become involved in campus groups, helping the community, enjoying physical activities, and also developing pride in the house--we need the greater length, also it's helpful, and comforting to know, that for this first semester when the transition is taking place, that we as pledges have the full support system of the house in place to help. Also it may be because we don't take in new members in the spring (it's kind of an anomaly on this campus--I know of no one who has signed w/ a house after about the second week of September doing open rush (girls))

Okay well again thanks to everyone who posted.
Old 10-04-2001, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

My new member period was only 5 weeks because the following weekend was a leadership conference that most of the sisters were going to. I too don't see how the tests can be done away with, it's the only way to motivate the new members to learn the sorority's history. The way we do it, the big sisters sit in with the new members while they take their test. Since passing the test is required for initiation, they need to have at least 85% to pass. And trust me, no one ever fails.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that neither Chi Omega nor NPC has set a minimum time limit. Our bid day was in mid-August, but we do not get initiated until the end of January.

I do not think that the longer pledge period is unfair, because we truly have earned our membership. I know most of the fraternities here have long pledgeships because they have to know the members before they are initiated. I am glad that we get initiated later than all of the other sororities on campus (most of whom have already had initiation) because we really do get to know our members and they get to know us. Also, we get to make sure that the house really is for us. We are making a lifetime commitment and I would rather know that I am making the right decision.
Old 10-04-2001, 01:54 PM
UMgirl

alphagam1019

Fireside already?!?!

I guess it seems early to be because at UM pretty much everyone initiates in mid to late November. Ours was done in Dec and it was freezing cold. Feast of Roses was held at a different place and we all pretty much had on open toed shoes. Its not pretty getting 30 + girls up at 6 am in Dec. Congrats on rush and Initiation.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Betarulz! (and all other interested),

I am fairly confident that Beta has a rule that mandates a pledge period of AT LEAST 8 weeks. (Unlike some fraternities that pledge you in, give you a sweatshirt....and BAM, three weeks later, you're initiated!) Like you mentioned, during that time, you study lore, meet brothers, meet your pledge class, learn how to be a better student, sharpen your social skills.....etc.

Also, Beta has instilled a 2.5 minimum GPA standard for pledges to initiate. By the way, Beta was the first fraternity to pioneer this standard - 1985. In order for members to be intiated, especially as freshman, they must wait until grades come out to see if everyone made the minimum standard.

Now, the question is, does all the chapters follow that rule? Nope! I know that Nebraska does, hence they have best GPA in Betas Broad Domain. My chapter does not, and we have not really been known for our grades in the past.

I kinda wish we followed that rule for our grades sake, but who really wants to pledge for 14 weeks, then have a 7 week Christmas break (away from school, Beta and your pledge brothers) and then get initiated? I personally feel it needs to be done during the same semester; then the REAL affect happens while it is fresh in your head.

It is a win-win and a lose-lose situation, whichever way you look at it.

-kai-

ZZ-kai-
Old 10-05-2001, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I know Pi Phi at my campus has the longest pledge period. We don't get initiated until we pass our pledge test, get grades in from first quarter, and get 2/3 approval from AAC through interviews.

I saw other chapters with letters by Novemeber, but as Pi Phi is the only sorority to have in its bylaws that pledges may not wear greek latters until initiation, I had to wait until late January and I pledged in September.
Old 10-05-2001, 10:14 PM

Personally, I understand all of the anti-hazing stuff going on but I am not a fan of all but eliminating pledgeship. I think that a semester of pledgeship was a good thing because it gave you a chance to get acclimated, bond with your pledge class, and see enough to make sure that you really want to stick with it. When I pledged in Fall '90 we got our bids at the end of September and were not initiated until January 26, 1991. We learned everything we were able to about the chapter and national's history (obviously ritual info wasn't revealed until initiation) and participated in a lot of pledge class activities. There was an all-chapter pledge retreat one weekend at a camp about 30 minutes from campus, and the pledges were basically pampered by the actives. I just don't like the direction that they are taking with reducing the term of pledgeship and eliminating pledge activities because they are "hazing." Would you believe that (at least for a while) they eliminated the big/little night hunt because it was hazing??? We used to do a scavenger hunt of sorts....some years it was where we hid somewhere in the house and left clues and gifts for our little to follow until she found us. One year we had a string that we tied to a start point and then wound all over the house until we hid. Then our little was given her end and she had to follow it all through the house to find us. THAT'S hazing??? I thought it was fun!!! Next thing you know, the girls will get their bids (unless they eliminate rush because it is "hazing") and come over that night to be initiated....well, not initiated because that's hazing, but they can pick up their pin at the house after bid day.
Old 10-06-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I completely support the longer waiting period before initiation. I believe that increases the bonding between the pledges and makes the initiation that much more anticipated. I also believe that to ask a pledge to wait until they earn their grades is not too much. Personally, I believe what we have to offer is worth the wait.