GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,266
1 members and 2,265 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 08-18-2013, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthYear View Post
Calm down with your rudeness please. I emailed Greek Affairs at my school (who actually encouraged me rushing this late) about the meetings. I'll see what they say about it. But either way I would rather go through rush for the experience than to always regret not doing it. I already regret putting it off for 4 years, I'm not going to regret it again next year too.
QFP.

I advise you to not attempt to tell a sorority member about herself. She is what you are aspiring to become. She was not typing to you. She was typing to another Greekchatter with a more general question/comment that really is not about you personally. You are the one who came to a message board for advice. You could have emailed Greek Affairs without the Greekchat advice but the Greekchatters were being polite.

Back to my lane.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm actually in nursing. I am in clinicals at night. Our school just recently doubled its intake of nursing students and they are still trying to figure out how to fit us all in. Some of my class even has clinicals on Saturdays.
So you have class all day Monday and Tuesday and only have clinicals two nights a week? I am scared of the nurses coming out of your school. That is seriously the oddest system I have ever heard of.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
You would encourage a fifth year senior to pledge and not be able to make chapter for a minimum of an entire semester or one third of her time as an active?
That's not what you said. You said that she wouldn't be able to be a member. That's not a blanket statement you should be making without knowing individual chapters' policies on such things.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
I am always curious when people say, "I always wanted to rush" but here it is five years later and it still didn't happen. If you wanted to, why didn't you? I don't want or need an answer, but it's a fairly legit question you might be asked during recruitment.

In some schools, being 23 or 24 years old and a new member, would be very strange. At other schools, it wouldn't cause a blink. Only someone familiar with the campus could know. Personally, as a fifth year senior, I would not be all that interested in mandatory meetings, study hours, mixers with 18 year olds away from home for the first time, etc. but as others have said, if you really want it, the only way to know is try. Good luck! I always root for PNMs to find a home!
I agree with Katmandu. If I was 23/24, I would not want to be mixing with ladies and fraternity gentlemen who just got out of high school. Good luck going through recruitment. Remember to keep an open mind!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
That's not what you said. You said that she wouldn't be able to be a member. That's not a blanket statement you should be making without knowing individual chapters' policies on such things.
You're right. I didn't say it exactly the way I wanted to. Regardless of individual chapter's attendance policies, I do know that even if every absence is excused, a NM will have a hard time getting to know people and finding her place if she is never there. No chapter is in need of phantom members. She's going to have a hard enough time feeling out of place because:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishful View Post
If I was 23/24, I would not want to be mixing with ladies and fraternity gentlemen who just got out of high school.
As far as the OP is concerned, good luck with recruitment at Western Kentucky. You've already posted enough identifying info online and left it there until last night even after being warned to scrub your info for chapters to know ahead of time that you're not going to be around much. Regardless of their attendance policies, they can decide whether or not to bid you. If it's down to you or Franny Freshman or Sally Sophomore who don't have such a busy schedule, I know who I'd choose. I also wouldn't be so quick to dismiss AOII Angel's warning of how intense clinicals are. She's a sorority alumna AND a doctor. It is not uncommon for nursing majors to fall off the face of sorority earth during their last semesters in school because they have so much to do and in ways they've never dreamed of busy before. If that's rude, so be it. It's also the truth.

Also, if you're not as busy as AOII Angel indicates that you shoułd be, could you please let me know? A ton of Nashville area people go to Western, and I want to make sure that none of the nurses at my doctor's office went there if it's super easy.

Cheer up. The chapters may meet on Sunday.

Last edited by amIblue?; 08-19-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Wait where did all the posts go, I didn't think you could delete on here?
Old 08-19-2013, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
Wait where did all the posts go, I didn't think you could delete on here?
Mods can delete, but a user can also delete individual posts by clicking on the edit button and then deleting.

And from your post, PM me and tell me what I missed!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, no one told me to delete info off of here, I thought that would be a good idea on my own.
ORLY? You might want to check the third or fourth post in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etadrisophila View Post
I agree with ISK.
You've posted sufficient identifiable information for people to be able to figure out who you are. I'd recommend that you edit your post.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Quote:
Any intelligent student can balance school and social life and thank God I'm one of them.
Clearly, you know yourself and your abilities better than we do. We just know the demands of pledging and some of us know the demands of clinicals. (I don't, but I know enough about AOII Angel to trust what she says.) All of us who are alumnae know how the demands on your time exponentially increase the closer you get to the end of your academic life and get closer to your post-collegiate career. It's something that you honestly can't quite appreciate until you're in it. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I honestly misread that first response that first time. I was in the hospital working and thought it said I needed to add more info which I knew was a dumb idea. But you said AOPII Angel is a dr... And obviously med school clinicals aren't the same as nursing. If they were equally vigorous, there wouldn't be such a difference in job description or pay...
Wow. Just wow. I cannot wait to hear how recruitment goes for you.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I honestly misread that first response that first time. I was in the hospital working and thought it said I needed to add more info which I knew was a dumb idea. But you said AOPII Angel is a dr... And obviously med school clinicals aren't the same as nursing. If they were equally vigorous, there wouldn't be such a difference in job description or pay...
I'm sure they are different for a doctor. I'm also sure a doctor has a good idea of the rigor of study for a nurse. Good luck with all of that. Clearly, we can tell you nothing. Why is it that you came here seeking advice?
Old 08-19-2013, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I came asking how sororities would accept a senior rushing. I most certainly never asked for a life analysis. Also, if you're so concerned with me putting too much info on here, why would you repeat the school I attend after I had deleted that? I don't think you've tried to help at all. You're just trying to be rude and I would really appreciate it if you just stopped. Don't even pretend you've tried to be helpful while pointing out things you yourself said I should delete. Buh bye.

I started with the intent to help, but I will fully cop to being rude in the last couple of posts, which was primarily motivated by your know it all attitude. I'm bored and have all day to respond to you, so buh bye yourself. Good luck with recruitment.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, we haven't had a flounce in a while.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Well, we haven't had a flounce in a while.
It is that time of year.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Banned

Deleting posts after they've been quoted = fail
Old 08-19-2013, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I'm sure they are different for a doctor. I'm also sure a doctor has a good idea of the rigor of study for a nurse. Good luck with all of that. Clearly, we can tell you nothing. Why is it that you came here seeking advice?
OOOOOhhh... clinicals are going to make this one cry. She has no idea what she is getting into.