GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,263
3 members and 2,260 guests
Cookiez17, Overthinker, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
[hijack]

Where have you been Miss Missy or Dr. D?!? Hi!!!

[/end hijack]
Hello, Lady!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Hello, Lady!!
Are you Dr. DSTChaos yet??? Or a few more pages and meetings to go?

Don't get about it, because it happens to EVERYONE I KNOW!!!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-30-2007, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta is enough for me. I was a J&J mom for a while, but it became far too time consuming for me and the babies. I am thinking about trying to join J&J again when my oldest becomes a teen, because I find the organization more beneficial for teens.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I personally don't have enough spare time to do all that I would like to within AKA. So, right now, I can't imagine having another major organization to split that limited time amongst. However, I also work 40+ hours a week, am married and like to travel. I am involved in professional organizations, but that's different.

However, as my free time increases and I've reached some personal goals within AKA, I would consider membership in another social organization. I don't see this happening for several years though, maybe in my late 40s.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Quack13 View Post
I am thinking about trying to join J&J again when my oldest becomes a teen, because I find the organization more beneficial for teens.

This is what my cousin did. She is very active in her local J&J chapter now that her girls are pre-teen and teen. She is also an AKA, but I don't know if she is as active in AKA as she is in J&J.

As for me SGR is enough. Like others have said, there is more than enough in the sorority to keep me very busy, but I do what I can.

As of now I have no interest in joining another structured organization. I enjoy my very casual interations with my needlepoint group, and I am considering getting involved in some dachshund-related events. Dachshunds were bred to be hunting dogs and there are groups where you can particiapte in mock hunting games for dachshunds.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't like people enough to always be in meetings and stuff.
Ditto!
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I am an introvert for the most part and love my alone time (which is why many could not believe that I wanted to join a sorority) so I don't think joining other organizations is in my future unless the focus is on something that my sorority isn't offering and it doesn't require a lot of my time. I also like to put my all into whatever I'm involved in and if I had to split my time between two or more organizations, I would always wonder if I could be doing more in Sigma.

See that's the thing I wonder about. I think it's fine for people to join all of these organizations but you have to ask yourself, how important is the work that you do within your NPHC org and could you be doing more for your NPHC org if your time wasn't split between the different orgs? And regarding those who join other orgs because they are frustrated with their NPHC org, isn't it a cop out to seek another org as opposed to trying to work hard and fix what's wrong with yours? Or does the frustration come after they have worked hard to try and change things?

I wonder.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

...be it fraternity or sorority

I think your fraternal/sororial organization ought to be an extention of what you believe in. My ideals and standards about what manhood and brotherhood are -- and what these ideas should push me to do in the community as a result -- are exemplified in my fraternity.

But my energies and desire go well beyond my frat. I work/serve in my church, within my profession, in community service with area youth; these are all key drivers for me. A 100 Black Men chapter recently started in my city. I was asked to join but I declined, not because their efforts aren't laudable but because I'm already involved in similar efforts through other organizations.

And trying to have some semblance of a social life, duplication, I do not need.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 08-31-2007, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I am an introvert for the most part and love my alone time (which is why many could not believe that I wanted to join a sorority) so I don't think joining other organizations is in my future unless the focus is on something that my sorority isn't offering and it doesn't require a lot of my time. I also like to put my all into whatever I'm involved in and if I had to split my time between two or more organizations, I would always wonder if I could be doing more in Sigma.

See that's the thing I wonder about. I think it's fine for people to join all of these organizations but you have to ask yourself, how important is the work that you do within your NPHC org and could you be doing more for your NPHC org if your time wasn't split between the different orgs? And regarding those who join other orgs because they are frustrated with their NPHC org, isn't it a cop out to seek another org as opposed to trying to work hard and fix what's wrong with yours? Or does the frustration come after they have worked hard to try and change things?

I wonder.
I agree with you wholeheartedly and I, too, often wonder about these things.

In a forum that I am a member of, there is a member of another NPHC Sorority that has about 15 orgs in her siggy - Greek, Masonic, social, etc. I am wondering how she ever has time to do ANYTHING other than list them on her resume

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 08-31-2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Be nice...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
So, there are 2 issues you have going on here: So folks join as undergraduates when all they have is classes and school. Maybe they are active in their Student Unions and few other activities, but not "entrenched" in activities like that of being in a GLO.

The there are some members who join at the graduate level where they have started establishing their professional networks or other organizations that they are a part of and then kindly extended an invitation for membership to a NPHC organization and chose to pursue it. At the graduate level, the discussion of time management is not well described.

My issue is that SOME graduate members join without any concept of the time or monetary commitment because those kinds of things are not "firmly expressed" when members are inducted. Not to say that it is easy... No, just not firmly expressed as much as it ought to be.

Personally, IMHO, I think that folks should have a minimum community service hours requirement before, during and perpetually for membership. I know that the university I work for is considering a community service hour requirement to graduate...

As far as frustration within the organization: Well, my membership process--skrait out Pledge process--was hard, I narry got a long with my "co-initiatiates" (linesisters) ( ). So, essentially, I had to deal with it...

But the way it is now, I can see why folks are frustrated. It is like a marriage, communication is key. That is why we tell folks to do their research that when they are extended an invitation to join and pursue membership, then there are no surprises. In excellent, award winning chapters, it is like that, but in other requiring audits and under probation chapters it is not. That is the reality.

We all have to make a effort to help each other achieve the dreams of our founders. The reasons for the start of each of our GLO's are uniquely woven into the African American experience, just like a huge quilt and we must make sure this fabric does not fray...

So, what I am saying is: since the experiences of many African Americans has been lacking that still does not mean we fail the fight the good fight and quit. Sometimes we just have to show some Affirmative Action for our own folks and take in a less than stellar person to mold them into our Founder's vision. (That is what a Big Brother/Sister does).

One way to do it is require attendance to all functions prior to membership. Mentorship with Golden/Diamond members. Allow interests to assist in the planning and implementation of some public programs at the graduate level. Etc.

Not all chapters do that. Most that I have seen in my area, like to look cute... And we are talking GRADUATES/ALUMNI--undergrads are trying to graduate...

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 08-31-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-31-2007, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So, there are 2 issues you have going on here: So folks join as undergraduates when all they have is classes and school. Maybe they are active in their Student Unions and few other activities, but not "entrenched" in activities like that of being in a GLO.

The there are some members who join at the graduate level where they have started establishing their professional networks or other organizations that they are a part of and then kindly extended an invitation for membership to a NPHC organization and chose to pursue it. At the graduate level, the discussion of time management is not well described.

My issue is that SOME graduate members join without any concept of the time or monetary commitment because those kinds of things are not "firmly expressed" when members are inducted. Not to say that it is easy... No, just not firmly expressed as much as it ought to be.

Personally, IMHO, I think that folks should have a minimum community service hours requirement before, during and perpetually for membership. I know that the university I work for is considering a community service hour requirement to graduate...

As far as frustration within the organization: Well, my membership process--skrait out Pledge process--was hard, I narry got a long with my "co-initiatiates" (linesisters) ( ). So, essentially, I had to deal with it...

But the way it is now, I can see why folks are frustrated. It is like a marriage, communication is key. That is why we tell folks to do their research that when they are extended an invitation to join and pursue membership, then there are no surprises. In excellent, award winning chapters, it is like that, but in other requiring audits and under probation chapters it is not. That is the reality.

We all have to make a effort to help each other achieve the dreams of our founders. The reasons for the start of each of our GLO's are uniquely woven into the African American experience, just like a huge quilt and we must make sure this fabric does not fray...

So, what I am saying is: since the experiences of many African Americans has been lacking that still does not mean we fail the fight the good fight and quit. Sometimes we just have to show some Affirmative Action for our own folks and take in a less than stellar person to mold them into our Founder's vision. (That is what a Big Brother/Sister does).

One way to do it is require attendance to all functions prior to membership. Mentorship with Golden/Diamond members. Allow interests to assist in the planning and implementation of some public programs at the graduate level. Etc.

Not all chapters do that. Most that I have seen in my area, like to look cute... And we are talking GRADUATES/ALUMNI--undergrads are trying to graduate...
You are saying a whole lot right here. A whole lot.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RitaMae1908 Send a message via MSN to RitaMae1908 Send a message via Yahoo to RitaMae1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksocialite View Post
OK, with several NPHC Centennials coming up, I have starting having some very interesting philosophical discussions about the future NPHC sororities.

I was chatting with a few folks recently about why they desire to join other selective membership organizations after they join an NPHC sorority (i.e. Links, Jack and Jill, Chums, Moles, Girlfriends, etc.)

All of the folks present at this discussion are members of at least one other selective membership organization. Reasons for joining other organizations included frustration within their sorority, family tradition and legacy, and desire to network with a larger group of women.

I shared that some older members believe that their respective NPHC sorority should serve all of our organizational need states and; that we shouldn't seek to join other selective member organizations.

Is your NPHC Sorority enough?

Call me crazy but I've never heard of some of these organizations (Chums, Moles, Girlfriends...)??? Are they service related? or professional? Just was curious...

~STUPID is FOREVER, IGNORANCE can be FIXED. Furthermore, before GIVING someone a PIECE of your MIND be SURE that you HAVE ENOUGH to SPARE!!~
Old 08-31-2007, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
see, my experience when i came in as an undergrad, all my peers who crossed weren't just doing classes/school. they were holding job(s), on e-boards of student clubs, doing the RA thing, on student council and in addition, the honorary GLO of their respective major, and who knows what else... so essentially doing the same things - being "joiners." and that's not a bad thing at all.

i would hope that my sorors have something else going on aside from the Sorority. while your org should be more than enough to keep you busy, i would hope members have some additional outlet to serve and be social. For me, it was my RA circle (sounds silly but we rolled deep - 500+ of us campus-wide yearly), my mentoring group and student council. As a recent grad, it's my grad chapter... and well me. I havent found another organization to give myself to, but that doesn't mean i'm looking either. Right now, i'm about being the best i can be (OK i know corny... but it is what it is) for Sigma.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
see, my experience when i came in as an undergrad, all my peers who crossed weren't just doing classes/school. they were holding job(s), on e-boards of student clubs, doing the RA thing, on student council and in addition, the honorary GLO of their respective major, and who knows what else... so essentially doing the same things - being "joiners." and that's not a bad thing at all.

As a recent grad, it's my grad chapter... and well me. I havent found another organization to give myself to, but that doesn't mean i'm looking either. Right now, i'm about being the best i can be (OK i know corny... but it is what it is) for Sigma.
Yeah, you are right, those are the things you mentioned that undergrad members are doing. My point was they are generally focusing on being in and graduating from school, rather than doing things that graduate chapters usually do: i.e. HUGE fundraisers with gross receipts of $20,000+ with high school student programs attached and mandatory chapter assessments for these things.

The other thing is most members who join at the graduate level are probably well qualified and would serve as excellent members throughout their lives. Some serving as International officers.

For every member taken in, there are numerous reasons why some are financially inactive and do not serve graduate chapters. Aside from a heavy work schedule, graduate education or family obligations that seems understandable, avoiding serving at any level of membership in the organization hinders than helps, especially for those members who are under 5 years of membership.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't like people enough to always be in meetings and stuff.
me too... there is soo much to do in Zeta, I'm considering not retaining my community leadership roles in 2008 so I can focus more on the work of Zeta.

ZΦB