GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,699
1 members and 1,698 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 07-14-2007, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

helllp!

i was just wondering if all chapters require recommendations.....Also, what if you dont know anyone that has been in a sorority? how do you get a recommendation and who do you ask?

Can you play a school sport while being in a sorority?

these questions might sound stupid but i'm new at this

please help!
Old 07-14-2007, 07:05 PM

As far as recommendations, it really depends on the school. At some schools, recommendations are a must, while at others, you don't need them at all. Contact your school's Greek Life Office and ask them.

Recs need to be written by alumnae of that particular sorority. Here's a link to a post about how to locate alumnae:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=53908&page=7

This thread has a ton of good recruitment advice and some more info about getting recommendations:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

In short, you can play a sport and be in a sorority. We had a girl come here awhile back and ask the same thing in this thread:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hlight=athlete

Good luck!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-14-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Help is on the way

1. I cannot speak for all sororities. I will simply say that recommendations are always a good idea. Far better to have them and not need them, then to need them and not have them. Many times the determining factor is the campus. Some highly competitive campuses are going to require them, while they may not be important at a less competitive campus. Check with your university panhellenic, and make sure you register with them. Once the individual GLOs know you are going through recruitment they MAY (or may not) see about getting recs from their alumnae.
2. You may know more sorority women than you think. Let everyone - teachers, mothers of friends, friends of your mother's, relatives, work associates, etc. - know you are thinking about going through recruitment.
3. Register with your local alumnae panhellenic. They will give your information to NPC members, who may or may not then arrange to get you recommendations.
4. Use the search option on this board. You'll find lots more detailed information.
Good luck.

ETA - KSUViolet posted while I was writing and covered everything - links and all.(!) Still, HTH!
Old 07-14-2007, 07:27 PM

There are groups of sorority alumnae called Alumnae Panhellenics in various cities. These groups help promote sorority life and help girls prepare for recruitment.

Here's a list of Alumnae Panhellenics:

http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae/a_directory.php

If there's one in your city, you can contact them and see if they can put you in contact with alumnae of the sororities at your school who may be willing to write recs for you.

Lakers Nation.