GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,264
1 members and 1,263 guests
indygphib

Old 08-02-2004, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat
My personal favorite, from a Rho Chi no less....

"D Phi E only takes Jewish girls"....NOT TRUE!
This must be a national rumor because we hear it all the time too! It's simply not true!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-02-2004, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I once heard that we take anyone b/c we are desperate to boost our #'s up. That made me laugh b/c it's so not true. Our #'s aren't high right now b/c we had a lot of gals go alum. This fall though, we hope to ROCK!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CASIGKAP
I once heard that we take anyone b/c we are desperate to boost our #'s up. That made me laugh b/c it's so not true. Our #'s aren't high right now b/c we had a lot of gals go alum. This fall though, we hope to ROCK!!!
I've heard that one too

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by astroAPhi
My personal favorite was that for the past several years, we've been accused of being racist because MY FRESHMAN YEAR an african-american woman and 2 Carribbean women joined the only (at the time) other sorority on campus. The next year and every year after that, we lose some of the coolest girls because this stupid rumor won't just lie down and die.
What has the chapter done to combat these rumors??
Old 08-02-2004, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
We've given every single girl we met a fair chance, regardless of race. There's also the fact that we get pretty pissed anytime this rumor is mentioned, but it's not like we can throw a fit in the middle of the Student Union plaza.

We have girls from Switzerland, India, Pakistan, and Surinam, but apparently that's not good enough. We also do have recent african-american alumnae, but it's not like we're going to stick them up on a pedestal and flaunt them to prove our point. I think that would be disgustingly disrespectful to our alumnae and current International sisters.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 08-02-2004, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Not saying throw a fit. Maybe get PHC to host a forum. "Myths about Sorority Life"etc. If you dont say anything then the myth will continue. JMHO.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
It happened at UGA!

Quote:
Originally posted by greeneyedDPhiE
This must be a national rumor because we hear it all the time too! It's simply not true!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Not saying throw a fit. Maybe get PHC to host a forum. "Myths about Sorority Life"etc. If you dont say anything then the myth will continue. JMHO.
If the other sororities are the ones spreading the rumours and it's working to their benefit, there's NWIH they're going to participate in a forum to disprove them.

Like she said, they have recent A-A alumnae (whose faces would be on a composite for all rushees & everyone else to see) so it's obviously untrue. People just like to say crappy things about other people.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
If the other sororities are the ones spreading the rumours and it's working to their benefit, there's NWIH they're going to participate in a forum to disprove them.

Like she said, they have recent A-A alumnae (whose faces would be on a composite for all rushees & everyone else to see) so it's obviously untrue. People just like to say crappy things about other people.
So...there is a rumor that a chapter is racist despite having African American members and no one is willing to do an educational program about this issue on campus. Interesting.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:07 AM

I'm sure A-Phi would be willing to do it - also, I am assuming the rumours are coming from other sororities and astro please correct me if I'm wrong - but half the time when you say "WE'RE NOT RACIST!" you end up looking like you ARE, even when you never were to begin with.

And with that I will stop tangenting this thread.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not 100% sure where they're coming from, but I think it is from the Greek community in general. The guys are known for trying to start stuff between the 2 current sororities, so it could be from anywhere.

I'd also like to add that racism isn't a large issue on this campus, so having a forum or educational session would be pointless. The school actually did have one for a greek in-service about 2 years ago and even the international students who showed up agreed that it was the biggest waste of our time because it didn't apply here. The school is 20% international students. You could almost count the current organizations as multi-cultural because there are men and women from all over the world in every organization.

And thank you 33, you understood what I was trying to say perfectly. No one is going to let go of stereotypes that protect them.

Last edited by astroAPhi; 08-03-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems that the general consensus of this thread is for the guys and gals going through Recruitment/Rush.....make your own decision. It's one you have to live with, not anyone else. and it's not up to them either. You are the only person who knows best where you belong, so trust your own instincts, and do what you want to do, because you want to, and not for anyone else.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, as I've said in another thread, don't let your new best friend/new roommate make your decision for you. It's ok to be good friends or roommates and be in different sororities. My roommate and I didn't think we'd be in the same sorority because we were very different people. Even if you think you and your roommate/friend have so much in common, you may find you're happier in different groups.

I've seen many girls disappointed with their choice later down the road, or their friend that they joined with transferred, or they got in a big fight and weren't friends anymore.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
So...there is a rumor that a chapter is racist despite having African American members and no one is willing to do an educational program about this issue on campus. Interesting.
Would you suggest that they do an educational program about it if it were another one of the rumors featured in this thread? Like if girls were saying that the chapter was full of sluts and cokeheads- would you suggest doing a program to dispel that rumor? Just curious.

I agree with 33- just because the rumor is there does not mean it is at ALL founded in reality. A-Phi even said when and how the rumor got started... and I think we all agree that's a stupid way to decide if a chapter is racist. The only way to even ATTEMPT to discredit those kind of rumors is tedious word of mouth- by making sure that none of your members are working against the chapter's goal, by publicly celebrating your chapter's diversity... and sometimes, even that doesn't work.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
Would you suggest that they do an educational program about it if it were another one of the rumors featured in this thread? Like if girls were saying that the chapter was full of sluts and cokeheads- would you suggest doing a program to dispel that rumor? Just curious.
Did I not say that a chapter could host a program called 'the myths of sorority life'?? That program could address all stereotype associated with chapters.

Quote:
I agree with 33- just because the rumor is there does not mean it is at ALL founded in reality. A-Phi even said when and how the rumor got started... and I think we all agree that's a stupid way to decide if a chapter is racist. The only way to even ATTEMPT to discredit those kind of rumors is tedious word of mouth- by making sure that none of your members are working against the chapter's goal, by publicly celebrating your chapter's diversity... and sometimes, even that doesn't work.
If that is the way your chapter decides to handle that issue than good. I don't agree with it but my opinion doesn't matter since I'm not in your chapter nor a member of a NPC sorority.