GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,251
2 members and 1,249 guests
indygphib

Old 06-14-2006, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

re-rushing

Last edited by jessXIca; 09-17-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-14-2006, 02:02 AM

Yes.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto. However, in the event you cancel your membership (pre-initiation), you can either go through formal recruitment again in the fall or wait until after the fall when some of the sororities will be holding individual continuous recruitment events. You can get your name on a list in the Office of Greek Life or be invited by a member of the sorority. However, it is not a gurantee that you will be invited to any of these events, and you have less options to choose from.

Suffice to say, at a UCF chapter you "depledged," they will not spend the entire party grilling you about why you left. If you cancelled your membership pre-initiation, likely an entire year has gone by and not to be unkind-- but no one in a chapter of 100 will really remember you by then-- the girls that depledge are rarely the ones who are always around making an effort to get to know their new sisters anyway.

Of course, you can avoid any awkwardness by getting it right the first time! Go in for the right reasons, keep an open mind and have fun!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

If you depledge (pre-initiation) at UCF and then go through formal recruitment the next year, you do have to visit all 11 houses on UCF Spirit Day.

I agree with Adpiucf that at UCF most chapters will not grill you about why you depledged, but I disagree in regard to the chapter noticing you. When I was in college, it was rare that we had a girl depledge and then come back through formal the next year. However, in the event that we did (and I specifically remember one year in particular) EVERYONE remembered her. We knew she was coming through before recruitment started and we knew exactly which party (sorry-I'm sure that's the completely inappropriate name for the event) she was at on each of the days. Personally, I felt like our sisters went out of their way to be extra polite to her even though we knew that she did not want to be a part of our chapter.

What's the lesson? Always handle yourself in the most friendly and professional manner possible. You never know what can happen in a year and you don't want to burn any bridges. Each chapter is opening up their home to you as a potential new member and showing you something that they find extremely special. So remember to be respectful, even if you don't feel particularly interested in a chapter.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to fifi225
Another UCFalumna chiming in

Hey there.

Before I was a freshman, I rushed at UCF...I think we had 9 houses then? ... yes, nine it was before AEPhi and KKG came on...(yeah I'm old. anyway, moving right along) I wound up somewhere where I didn't belong, so I depledged, I figured, better to wind up nowhere then somewhere I wasn't at home. I realized my mistake QUICK and I don't think you can even call what I did depledging, as I never pledged.

I skipped formal recrutment the next year and rushed again as a juinor. Girls remembered me, which was fine, as I hadn't made an idiot out of my self doing my first round through. Plus, I'd been very active on campus since then. And I had a great GPA (Pre-med with a 3.86).

A few girls asked me why I depledged, and when I told them, they really didn't treat it as a big deal.

I finally found my home. The next year (on the other side of rush) my house knew the girls which were repeats. It's actually pretty apparent (especially so to me, because they were girls i'd rushed with the year prior) I don't think there's anything *bad* about rerushing. I don't think those women got treated in any elevated or dismissive manner.

The 2nd time I rushed I kept getting asked back to a house that I had *no* interest in at all. This can happen as well. It's not as bad as it sounds though. Turns out some of my best friends now are from that house, two of which I met through rush! It may not have been where I felt at home but those women are definately my panhellenic sisters!

Best of luck

Piece of advice: being informed is great, but don't stress yourself out!!!!