GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,351
1 members and 2,350 guests
zolivilittlez29

Old 11-07-2001, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyKitty Send a message via Yahoo to PrettyKitty
Unhappy The Air around GC-All are welcome to respond

Is it me, or does there seem to be some stale air around GC among the BGLO sororities? I mean outside of the general playful jab here and there...some of the stuff that I have been reading is sickening.

When I first started posting on here, it seemed to be a friendly air about us...but unfortunately I feel that that's gone by the wayside.

What are your thoughts?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-07-2001, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror, I think it goes in cycles. I can't speak for all areas of GC, but I have noticed that as of late that people seem to be a bit more "fractious" than usual.

It's interesting....the media tells us that people are feeling more together, more like a nation as a result of the events on 9.11, but we come here on GC, where people have relative anonymity, and they show ALL their colours. We can put on a smiley face as much as we want, but until people change what's in their hearts, I'm afraid it'll just be the same old same old.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

YES!

I've only been here a minute, but the climate has changed some.
Things use to be said with respect to each organization, but as of late, seems like that respect has blown out of the door. Can the reason be a possible younger group posting, or maybe it's something else, I can't say. But the only posts I find unnerving comes from a woman my age(35) in another forum, so I rarely reply to her many posts a day.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOVE1920 Send a message via Yahoo to DOVE1920
Now what?

Is there something that we can do collectively to change this atmosphere? Is it up to us when we read something disrespectful to comment or leave the sororities in their ignorance? If anything disrespecting another org on a public forum doesn't represent your sorority in a positive light. At least I can always count on truth and sophistication in this forum!
Old 11-07-2001, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello Sorors,

I have not posted that often since joing, but I have read a lot of the posts over the course of these few months. I must say that i has become progressively nastier in most of the forums. Since these people have anonymity here, it's hard to say whether the people are all greek (or not) unless they "tell" you outright.

Why these people are so nasty in a forum that was (I am assuming this one) set up to allow GLOs of all sorts to coexist and interact in a cordial manner. I mean some of the posts that I have seen are so nasty and tactless that it makes you wonder what's wrong with these people on the inside. I mean what's the deal with the personal attacks on people? These are probably the most unnerving posts that I have seen considering the fact that MOST of these people do NOT know each other from anywhere but this site.

Sadly, as was mentioned by someone else, this sort of behavior will continue until the hearts of people change.

Six_Three_Sigma
Old 11-07-2001, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Now what?

Quote:
Originally posted by DOVE1920
Is there something that we can do collectively to change this atmosphere? Is it up to us when we read something disrespectful to comment or leave the sororities in their ignorance? If anything disrespecting another org on a public forum doesn't represent your sorority in a positive light. At least I can always count on truth and sophistication in this forum!
Short of not rising to the blatant baiting that I've seen in other forums, I can't think of anything else.

Something else... has anyone noticed that people are reluctant to correct their own sorors/bruhs in public forums? Not that any of my sorors need correction, seeing as how we're the embodiment Finer Womanhood , but I've been on other forums where I've seen members who cast a very negative light on the organization as a whole, and no one seems to say anything about it. I'm not saying put everyone's business out on the street, but no one even challenges it.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pebbles_6 Send a message via Yahoo to pebbles_6
I don't believe that any one forum is void of arrogance, rude undertones or trivalities any more or less than the other. Every one greek on these boards (not just BGLOs) gets "on edge" whenever something is taken as a slight towards our organizations. We all have our own reasons for joining our respective sororities/frats, so we tend to get prideful in our comments and statements. When in actuality, none of us are official spokespersons for our orgs. Yes, we're all entitled to our opinions, but at the same time, people try to force and impose THEIR views as law. Bonds here/P&G there/Luv this and that. Those are all interesting topics to me, but not to the point that I would argue, especially with someone from ANOTHER organization about. I know where my heart is and I know what I believe and see in MY world. That's always going to be different than someone else's view. So be it. I believe most of us come to these boards to share our views, not start drama...It just seems to me that most people lose sight that all BGLOs exist to serve our community at large. And our beginnings may differ by year, colors etc, but our our end goals are ultimately the same. A better community. Different paths are going to chosen by each individual, and my heart will always lie with Delta, but I find comfort in believing that most people chose their respective sororities/fraternities to better the communities. And in the end, that's all good with me, no matter what is said on these boards.

Pebbles #6
Delta Sigma Theta
G.E.A.A.C
Spr. '01
Old 11-07-2001, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to novella000
Talking WOW

I am sure you don't need my comments on this topic -- but I did wanna say you guys sure have had a lot of activity in this forum lately... Keep it up. Interesting threads!!! WOW
Old 11-07-2001, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Now what?

Quote:
Originally posted by SoTrue1920

Short of not rising to the blatant baiting that I've seen in other forums, I can't think of anything else.

Something else... has anyone noticed that people are reluctant to correct their own sorors/bruhs in public forums? Not that any of my sorors need correction, seeing as how we're the embodiment Finer Womanhood , but I've been on other forums where I've seen members who cast a very negative light on the organization as a whole, and no one seems to say anything about it. I'm not saying put everyone's business out on the street, but no one even challenges it.
Yes, I've seen this. I would always try to pull a sorors coat tail in a private email, if I feel they are wrong. But what I won't do is encourage their behavior or side with them if it goes against what in my opinion is right and wrong. I seen a interest stand-up for herself on one board to a member of that organiZation, and the poor chile was attacked. And in my opinion the interest was right, but her problem was "She spoke out of LINE" I guess in there eyes.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Re: Re: Re: Now what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Special1920
I seen a interest stand-up for herself on one board to a member of that organiZation, and the poor chile was attacked. And in my opinion the interest was right, but her problem was "She spoke out of LINE" I guess in there eyes.
I saw that post that you are refering too. But people have to realize that interests read these posts and it doesn't take much to change an interest mind... It really makes an org look bad.

"Bound by ties of love and Sisterhood"
Old 11-08-2001, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Now what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Special1920
Yes, I've seen this. I would always try to pull a sorors coat tail in a private email, if I feel they are wrong. But what I won't do is encourage their behavior or side with them if it goes against what in my opinion is right and wrong. I seen a interest stand-up for herself on one board to a member of that organiZation, and the poor chile was attacked. And in my opinion the interest was right, but her problem was "She spoke out of LINE" I guess in there eyes.
Tis true, my tone was rather harsh. The warm and fuzzy approach doesn't always get the point across. I was tactful the last time I brought this behavior up. People chose to ignore that post. If I have to be combative in order to get people to use their heads, so be it. I can handle the personal attacks.
Old 11-09-2001, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: The Air around GC-All are welcome to respond

Quote:
Originally posted by PrettyKitty

What are your thoughts?

UMMMM...all I can say is....S-O-C

And you Pretty, know this better than anyone. Cliques always develop.
Old 11-09-2001, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Now what?

Quote:
Originally posted by MIDWESTDIVA

Tis true, my tone was rather harsh. The warm and fuzzy approach doesn't always get the point across. I was tactful the last time I brought this behavior up. People chose to ignore that post. If I have to be combative in order to get people to use their heads, so be it. I can handle the personal attacks.
Midwestdiva, your post is not the one I was referring to. I've seen several in the last few months, I must have missed yours !
Old 11-09-2001, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PrettyKitty Send a message via Yahoo to PrettyKitty
Thumbs down

Part of what I see the issue is and maybe it's the same issue with choosing a sorority...which is the belief that some have that bigger means better. Preposterous. More posts does not equate a better forum, nor does more participants...rather the quality of the posts determines how good a forum is. I have seen thought provoking posts in all forums whether big or small. I try to visit every single last one of them. I will not, however, waste my time and energy to make a callous attempt to belittle others because of a forum siZe or an organiZational affliliation...and anyone who does so is both brash and immature.

Does the organiZation make you or do you make the organiZation?
Old 11-09-2001, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Quote:
Originally posted by PrettyKitty
...More posts does not equate a better forum, nor does more participants...rather the quality of the posts determines how good a forum is. I have seen thought provoking posts in all forums whether big or small. I try to visit every single last one of them.

Does the organiZation make you or do you make the organiZation?
Especially when there are like a quite a few members with multiple sceennames who have thousands if posts in the same forum! LOL

Nonetheless, for the most part I enjoy reading GC. BUT every now and then folks need a clear reality check.
It's really not that serious. As one of my favorite people said to me when we were co-eds..."DEEP IS HOW YOU TREAT PEOPLE".

Now, get out there and do some community service!