GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,316
2 members and 2,314 guests
TLLK

Old 07-26-2008, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SycamorePike View Post
Indiana State Pikes are sponsored by Monster energy drink. We get about twenty cases a month (600 cans). It goes over very well for Rush and social events. Everyone is pretty jumpy and hopped up on Monster and it keeps everyone alive and well.
Stop living up to your organization's stereotype. Some groups have a stereotype that is charming, the nouveau-planter KA image for instance. The combination of the Jersey shore, Venice Beach and Miami which Pikes for some reason love to cultivate is quite the opposite.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you want me to apologize for talking about the subject? Last time I checked, this was to talk about sponsorships, not about fraternity stereotypes that other people build up. Thank you for calling me a rich and snobby fraternity guy, shows how much you know about me...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Do you want me to apologize for talking about the subject? Last time I checked, this was to talk about sponsorships, not about fraternity stereotypes that other people build up. Thank you for calling me a rich and snobby fraternity guy, shows how much you know about me...
That's exactly the opposite of what I called you. I was more going for the gelled hair, meat head, club freak when I described Pike's reputation... The other would be much more acceptable.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Back to topic. Obviously this guy is GDI or has something against Pikes.

Sigma Chi and Sig Ep both throw Rock Star Energy Drink parties. They are two of the bigger parties that are thrown at ISU during the year.

Oh and CrackerBarrel, I'm around 280 lbs and a 3.6 cumulative GPA. I don't know one guy in my fraternity at Indiana State that has gelled hair or a meat head. Go watch some more Animal House.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sigma Chi and Sig Ep both throw Rock Star Energy Drink parties. They are two of the bigger parties that are thrown at ISU during the year.
Ok, so in this case the problem isn't Pike, it's ISU. Glad we cleared that up and can continue now.

I just think energy drink sponsorships seem pretty GDI, because, well, energy drinks alone and any alcoholic drink you can make using one are the epitome of GDI.

And you got me brah, I'm totally a GDI. Screw those shaggy haired, polo shirt, croakies and boat shoe wearing southern kids!

Old 07-26-2008, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I just don't understand how having energy drinks as sponsors is a bad thing or in your case, a GDI thing?

Where do you get your sources that make your opinion so high and mighty?
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just don't understand how having energy drinks as sponsors is a bad thing or in your case, a GDI thing?

Where do you get your sources that make your opinion so high and mighty?

Oh, I don't know perhaps this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M

How many of these guys you got runnin round your chapter?

Energy drinks/Alcohol is the absolute antithesis of the wealthy fraternity man. Y'all probably also drink flavored vodka.

edit: Plus you're a pike, how stereotypical. although it's at a northern school so maybe southern pike=normal there.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We are a dry house. We don't have Monster parties, we just have them for people to drink at the house. Do people use the drinks we give them later for alcoholic drinks? Probably. But as a house, we don't throw parties or incorporate the sponsorship with drinking. A lot of guys use them to get themselves motivated to do stuff in the morning (community service, go to class, study, etc). We use most of our Monster when we get together on Saturday mornings for community service, nobody wants to be there and they are all tired and half hungover.

Pikes up here are nowhere near the stereotype that you guys seem to portray. We are a bunch of normal guys. Nowhere near the My New Haircut haha.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We are a dry house. We don't have Monster parties, we just have them for people to drink at the house. Do people use the drinks we give them later for alcoholic drinks? Probably. But as a house, we don't throw parties or incorporate the sponsorship with drinking. A lot of guys use them to get themselves motivated to do stuff in the morning (community service, go to class, study, etc). We use most of our Monster when we get together on Saturday mornings for community service, nobody wants to be there and they are all tired and half hungover.

Pikes up here are nowhere near the stereotype that you guys seem to portray. We are a bunch of normal guys. Nowhere near the My New Haircut haha.
That's tolerable I guess. I think energy drinks on their own may be more disgusting than in drinks (which is a hard thing to do) and I still don't think there's anything cool about them, but what you do with them sounds much, much better than it could be. And while a dry house and a lot of community service early in the morning are certainly not my cup of tea, congratulations on not fitting in lock step with the reputation Pike seems to cultivate most places.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
congratulations on not fitting in lock step with the reputation Pike seems to cultivate most places.
The most important thing to take from this.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-26-2008, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
And you got me brah, I'm totally a GDI. Screw those shaggy haired, polo shirt, croakies and boat shoe wearing southern kids!

Once again, CB, I think you wildly overestimate how many people are impressed by this or aspire to this.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just think energy drink sponsorships seem pretty GDI, because, well, energy drinks alone and any alcoholic drink you can make using one are the epitome of GDI.
Chi Psi at UNC threw a party last semester sponsored by an energy drink... Strong chapter at a Southern school.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thislullaby View Post
Chi Psi at UNC threw a party last semester sponsored by an energy drink... Strong chapter at a Southern school.
Because UNC totally counts as a Southern school to begin with.

Chi Psi isn't even Big 4 there, Phi Delt, Deke, Beta and Phi Gam are.

Not a strong chapter. My sorority friends at UNC say you go Big 4 or don't go Greek at all. And yes, I'm pretty sure we've covered this before.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Because UNC totally counts as a Southern school to begin with.

Chi Psi isn't even Big 4 there, Phi Delt, Deke, Beta and Phi Gam are.

Not a strong chapter. My sorority friends at UNC say you go Big 4 or don't go Greek at all. And yes, I'm pretty sure we've covered this before.
Even though UNC is not a SEC school, it still has the same southern atmosphere of born and bred southern belles and inherent "frattiness" that is so essential to the SEC schools (though obviously not as cutthroat & competitive as far as recruitment goes and the overwhelming focus on a GLO for any kind of social life). Obviously you've never been to Chapel Hill if you think otherwise. North Carolina sure as hell isn't anything but "South" in terms of geographically, historically, and its various traditions. Its flagship school reflects it.

haha & the big 4 IS big 4 merely because of tradition- nothing else, really, these days though they are very strong chapters. In terms of popularity with sorority girls, I can think of a handle of other fraternities outside the big four that are more frequent hang outs for the born and breed sorority girls. There are several chapters outside the Big 4 that are strong and there is a vibrant Greek social scene outside the big 4. Greek life doesn't revolve around the upper-tier fraternities at Carolina. Who would've thought?

Last edited by thislullaby; 07-26-2008 at 09:52 PM.