GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,494
1 members and 1,493 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
Until of course they want to affiliate with a top tier chapter at a super competitive school. Then they're all about sisterhood being for life.......
Ha, no those people are well aware of the national org thing.

I believe in not mixing the categories of crazy pnm
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriverite View Post
Have you thought of colonizing your previous sorority at your new college? That way, you'll have as much control over the "sisterhood" factor as you want without breaking any rules :9
That's much easier said than done.

I'm also sure the rest of her family would really love that concept.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Have you thought of colonizing your previous sorority at your new college? That way, you'll have as much control over the "sisterhood" factor as you want without breaking any rules :9
this is almost as bad as telling girls they can ai.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also useful to mention that if she was previous in an NPC and now trying to join an NPHC (or vice versa), that's also a no go.

Is there some reason why you only feel you can have "sisterhood" in your mother's sorority? Have you thought of colonizing your previous sorority at your new college? That way, you'll have as much control over the "sisterhood" factor as you want without breaking any rules :9
How would that give her "control"? There are a lot of assumptions here.

A. That her new school is open for expansion.
B. That the sorority is interested in that campus.
C. That Panhel would invite that sorority to present.
D. That the sorority would be invited to colonize.
E. That the sorority would vote/select her to affiliate with the new chapter (depending on the rules of affiliation in the organization).

Old 08-01-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
She already knows the answer. She either a) doesn't want to believe it, or b) thinks that they'll actually make an exception for her (because she's special and it was "out of her control")
This.

They know, they just somehow think that they are in some sort of "special situation" that warrants and exception.

And the expansion suggestion is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Clearly I understand the rules now, thankyou. But hypothetically speaking, If I were to rush at my new college how would they find out that I have been in a sorority at my previous college????
Old 08-09-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyD View Post
Clearly I understand the rules now, thankyou. But hypothetically speaking, If I were to rush at my new college how would they find out that I have been in a sorority at my previous college????
The Greek world is much much smaller than you may think. People talk.

You are welcome to try if you do not believe me.

I've never known anyone to not be found out.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
On top of what everyone else said, I think it's some people's first time associated with any kind of national organization. And they don't quite "get" that ABC at once school is part of the same org as ABC at another, and yes they follow the same national rules and all of them follow the same national conference rules and so on.

They just don't get that it's not the same as joining any other campus organization or association.
I just saw this, since the OP bumped this thread.

I guess it's just another "us vs. them" thing. We were taught that membership is national and that your loyalty lies with the organization, not necessarily the chapter. I'm just amazed at how many times this question comes up.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If you walk into Wal-Mart, steal a digital camera, and never get caught, is it ok?

I know that not every sorority is the same. But working on the premise that they all involve, at some point before or during the initiation process, a promise to uphold certain values and to remain loyal to that sorority, pledging another after making that promise shows that it didn't mean much in the first place, and makes it likely it won't mean much the second time around, either. It's also dishonest.

Assuming you'll spend years at your new school in the age of facebook, myspace, and messageboards like these and never get found out isn't smart. And when you do get caught you will lose membership in BOTH organizations. Your friends from both organizations very well might dislike you for lying to both of them.

I am in a different sorority than any other member of my family, including many female cousins, my grandmothers, mother, aunts, sister-in-laws, etc. I am the only XYZ, though seven of those female family members, including my mother, are in the same sorority. And we still connect because we are all greek, and there are many experiences in greek life that are fairly universal. I enjoy being in a different sorority than my mother. I have my own world, but we have common ground in that we're both greek. Find a different way to get involved on your campus. There are plenty of organizations besides GLO's that are fun and useful. Habitat for Humanity, honor societies, service organizations, clubs in your major, intramurals...you can find something, I'm sure of it.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Exactly.

LOL @ anyone thinking they could pull this off in the age of FB/MySpace/Twitter/etc.

Unless you plan on living in an underground bunker of some sort, it's not happening.

You're welcome to try however. lol

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I just saw this, since the OP bumped this thread.

I guess it's just another "us vs. them" thing. We were taught that membership is national and that your loyalty lies with the organization, not necessarily the chapter. I'm just amazed at how many times this question comes up.
That's what I was taught as well. I've never been under the impression that being initiated into a sorority was something to take lightly, especially as most of my family is greek and I knew very well that once you've promised to be loyal to that organization, it's either them or none at all. I personally suspect the question is asked in the hopes that there is some loophole, or as a way to help the poster rationalize a decision they've already made. It's possible they weren't informed, I guess, but I doubt that's the case.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-09-2010, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
That's what I was taught as well. I've never been under the impression that being initiated into a sorority was something to take lightly, especially as most of my family is greek and I knew very well that once you've promised to be loyal to that organization, it's either them or none at all. I personally suspect the question is asked in the hopes that there is some loophole, or as a way to help the poster rationalize a decision they've already made. It's possible they weren't informed, I guess, but I doubt that's the case.
I can see her seeking validation, but the "seeking a loophole" part is what irks me.

"No exceptions" means "no exceptions" (as far as membership is concerned). If I REALLY wanted to find something out, I'd 1) consult my org's/council's constitution, bylaws, or SOPs* or 2) ask a real, live member.

*side-sidebar: Who gets access to the Green Book? Is this something given to each NM? Each chapter? Each local Panhellenic?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I can see her seeking validation, but the "seeking a loophole" part is what irks me.

"No exceptions" means "no exceptions" (as far as membership is concerned). If I REALLY wanted to find something out, I'd 1) consult my org's/council's constitution, bylaws, or SOPs* or 2) ask a real, live member.

*side-sidebar: Who gets access to the Green Book? Is this something given to each NM? Each chapter? Each local Panhellenic?
You'd think that would be those would be the first logical sources.

I don't even know to be honest, except that when I was on the Panhellenic council I had one. Even if the chapter members didn't all they had to do was ask one of us or our Greek Advisor.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-09-2010, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

never said I would actually do it....just curious.....maybe the rules should change since apparently this question gets brought up so many times, or better awarness of this rule should be made to girls before pledging. Alot of girls who are in this situation never fully understood the rules in the first place because all the NPC and greek terms are hard to understand and the girl just wants to pledge and be in the sorority and get it all over with anyway...remember when you were a freshmen and pledged??? Also most girls in this tranfer situation just want a way to have that "college experience" of fitting in some where and making friends easily who are like them. It would be hard to all the sudden just start/colonize a new sorority especially since your knew to the school, have no friends, and dont know your way around and dont know much about greek life anyway (and dont have much time to learn im only 18). Also im not sure most girls want to join different kinds of clubs for instance, something in there major, or habitat for humanity or something like that. Those are great things to be apart of but not the type of "experience and belonging" a young girl really wants be apart of coming to a new school. A sorority is just a really easy way to meet girls your age younger and older, feel apart of the school, and have friends for life and have something to be loyal to. Im not just trying to use a sorority to get a way to meet new friends, a sorority is just a great thing to be apart of in college. (Im not sure habitat for humanity or another local club or you know what i mean can really give the girl what she is looking for in her new college experience). Like I said those things are great and admiral things to be apart of but do not include the whole package.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
never said I would actually do it....just curious.....maybe the rules should change since apparently this question gets brought up so many times, or better awarness of this rule should be made to girls before pledging. Alot of girls who are in this situation never fully understood the rules in the first place because all the NPC and greek terms are hard to understand and the girl just wants to pledge and be in the sorority and get it all over with anyway...remember when you were a freshmen and pledged??? Also most girls in this tranfer situation just want a way to have that "college experience" of fitting in some where and making friends easily who are like them. It would be hard to all the sudden just start/colonize a new sorority especially since your knew to the school, have no friends, and dont know your way around and dont know much about greek life anyway (and dont have much time to learn im only 18). Also im not sure most girls want to join different kinds of clubs for instance, something in there major, or habitat for humanity or something like that. Those are great things to be apart of but not the type of "experience and belonging" a young girl really wants be apart of coming to a new school. A sorority is just a really easy way to meet girls your age younger and older, feel apart of the school, and have friends for life and have something to be loyal to. Im not just trying to use a sorority to get a way to meet new friends, a sorority is just a great thing to be apart of in college. (Im not sure habitat for humanity or another local club or you know what i mean can really give the girl what she is looking for in her new college experience). Like I said those things are great and admiral things to be apart of but do not include the whole package.
Lack of understanding does not make it a bad rule. More girls (people, really) need to become familiar with the rules that govern their respective organizations

And bullshit @ "never said I would actually do it"