GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,852
4 members and 1,848 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 10-27-2008, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For More Information:
Enrique Camacho
(414) 405-6347
Enrique.Camacho@lambdas.com

New York (December 10, 2008) —Each year, the Hermanos of Latino America Unida, Lambda Alpha Upsilon Fraternity, Inc. host “Lambda Day.” The event is the fraternity’s Annual Anniversary and Awards Banquet. This year marks the 23rd Anniversary of Latino America Unida. The purpose of this event is to celebrate the founding of the fraternity, and recognize the accomplishments of members throughout the past year.

The event is more than simply awards and new member inductions. The event is symbolic to the entire fraternity about the goals in which was created; it brings together brothers from all walks of life to reunite as a family again. The affair will occur on December 6th at 7 P.M until 2 A.M at the Renaissance of Astoria in New York City.

The mission of Lambda Alpha Upsilon Fraternity is to be a network of professionals that promotes brotherhood, scholarship and service to the community. The fraternity promotes brotherhood by providing its members personal and professional support on an undergraduate and alumni level. Our members pursue scholarship not only for professional advancement, but to attain personal growth. The brotherhood serves the community by sponsoring events which aide those in need, promoting cultural awareness, and enriching the collegiate environment. Every member must continue to uphold the mission and goals of the fraternity, as they are the common values that distinguish us as Hermanos of Lambda Alpha Upsilon.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Greetings Esteemed NALFO Organizations,

During the weekend of December 5-7th, 2008, Sigma Lambda Upsilon / Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc. (ΣΛΥ), will hold its 21st Annual National Convention & Founder’s Day Celebration at the newly renovated Hilton Hotel in Downtown Silver Spring, MD. We are excited to announce this year’s theme as “Embracing a New Era of Sisterhood, Leadership and Empowerment: Celebrating our Past and the Señorita of Tomorrow.”

This is always an extraordinary weekend which brings our Hermanas (Sisters) from across the country. Those in attendance will experience a weekend filled with professional development, community service and a remarkable banquet dedicated to celebrating the achievements of our membership as well as the larger population of women across the globe.

Throughout the weekend we will host a variety of events including workshops catered to both undergraduate and graduate women, The weekends most anticipated event will be the awards banquet featuring a dynamic keynote speaker, a delicious five-star meal and cultural performances.

I invite you to be a part of this incredible evening by purchasing a table and/or individual tickets to our Annual Convention banquet. In addition, to being part of this phenomenal event, you and your guests are welcomed to attend our smart and tasteful networking cocktail hour. For those organizations or companies which choose to purchase a table, they will receive a complimentary quarter page ad in our full-color event program book. I have enclosed ticket purchasing information as well as an advertisement form.

---------------------

Thank you for your consideration. To purchase a table or tickets, please see attached document and/or contact Stacy Terrell via email SLU21Convention@gmail.com . She will be happy to answer any questions you may have. We would greatly appreciate confirmation of your attendance no later than November 19th. To learn more about our organization or this event, please visit our website www.SigmaLambdaUpsilon.org

In Greek Unity, Jennifer Cabán
Vice President, National Board
Sigma Lambda Upsilon / Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc.
Grand Central Station
P.O. Box 4170
New York, NY 10163
www.sigmalambdaupsilon.org

Old 11-03-2008, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Upsilon Lambda Hermano Victor Capellan (Zeta Chapter, Beta Line, Fall 1990) has been honored as one of the 13 MillerCoors 2008 Líderes of the Year. The annual MillerCoors campaign recognizes the leadership and arduous work of a number of Hispanic leaders across the country. To elect the 2008 Líder of the Year from this slate of candidates, the campaign encourages the general public to log on to their website, http://www.coorslideres.com, to vote for their choice from November 1-12.

The winning Líder will receive a $25,000 grant for a leadership project of their choice to continue their good work. Capellan a native of the Dominican Republic and advocate for issues relating to Latinos across the country is presently president of the Dominican American National Roundtable (DANR). If elected Líder of the Year, Capellan will utilize the grant to fund the DANR Youth Program that takes young people to Washington to receive training on becoming Immigration advocates.

"It is an honor for me as to be considered a candidate for Líder of the Year," said Capellan. "Educating our youth has always been my priority. By providing our young people with the tools to become immigration advocates, we will arm them with information to educate our citizenry and our political officials on the true, valuable and critical contributions immigrants are making in this country."

Born in the city of Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic, Capellan immigrated to the United States in 1983. Since then, Capellan has embraced the challenge to motivate and raise consciousness within the Latino community. Capellan has held numerous positions around the country, such as Executive Director of Center for Hispanic Policy and Advocacy, in Rhode Island, President of DANR in Washington, DC, Principal of EBC High School for Public Service in Brooklyn, NY and now as Director of School Improvement and Leadership Services for Fall River Public Schools in Massachusetts. His focus has been educating the community on the importance of political involvement, creating paths to success and moving the community into positions of power.

"Voting for Líder of the Year will take place on the MillerCoors website at coorslideres. com from November 1 through November 12," said Capellan. "I hope my friends, colleagues and fellow advocates will consider casting a vote on my behalf so I may continue to work with the community and educate our youth on taking action, rather than accepting inaction."

MillerCoors is committed to facilitating the development of Latino leaders by providing leadership tools that benefit the Hispanic community. Joedis Avila, coordinator of the program noted that the Líderes program celebrates and supports national and local leaders within the Hispanic community and facilitates and provides leadership tools (scholarships, training, sponsorships and economic development) that foster the development and advancement of all communities, in particular the U.S. Latino community.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Public Relations Officer, Omega Alpha Graduate Chapter
Email: Omega.Alpha@ justbecus. org

OMEGA ALPHA CONTINUES TO RISE & RAISE FOR THEIR COMMUNITY

Philadelphia, P.A. November 1, 2008 – The Omega Alpha Graduate Chapter of Corazones Unidos Siempre, Chi Upsilon Sigma National Latin Sorority, Inc. (CUS) participated in the 9th Annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk and the 22nd Annual Philadelphia AIDS Walk & 10k Run.

On Sunday October 12, a group of approximately 20 Sisters, family and friends were volunteer “Tastykake Cheerleaders” during the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. Each volunteer passed out water, snacks and cheered on walkers as they completed the five mile course. It was a day of remembering loved ones, celebrating survivors and raising funds for a cure. Omega Alpha was honored to be able to thank each participant for their participation and contribution towards Breast Cancer research. They have been event volunteers since 2005 and plan to participate annually for years to come.

On Sunday October 19, Chi Upsilon Sigma Sisters, their family and friends walked 8.4 miles in the Philadelphia AIDS Walk as Team #0018. The group was able to register 50 walkers and raise over $2,500 surpassing their $1,980 goal! Led by team captain, Cynthia Santiago-Pagá n, this group has consistently grown in both number of walkers and number of dollars raised. CUS has participated in the Philadelphia AIDS Walk since 1997 through the efforts of its Omicron Chapter, Drexel University. The tradition has carried on and has even taken on new challenges. This year marks the first time that sisters also participated in the Philadelphia AIDS 10k run. With training and determination, a small group of four women took on this challenge to complete the 6.2 mile course.

Breast Cancer and the fight against AIDS continue to affect our communities. Omega Alpha continues to rise to the challenge to join the fight and will continue to raise funds for such fatal diseases. To find out how you can rise to the challenge and raise funds, please visit: http://makingstrides.acsevents.org/Philadelphia and www.aidswalkphilly.org.

About Omega Alpha Graduate Chapter of Corazones Unidos Siempre, Chi Upsilon Sigma National Latin Sorority, Inc.

Established in 2002, the Omega Alpha Graduate Chapter aims to keep alumnae involved, support our undergraduate chapters, provide professional events and assist our community. These goals are accomplished through various annual functions, monthly events and hands on community service. To learn more, please visit: www.geocities.com/Omega_Alpha_CUS. Omega Alpha is a graduate chapter of Corazones Unidos Siempre, Chi Upsilon Sigma National Latin Sorority, Inc. (CUS). CUS was established in 1980 with the goal of reaching our communities through social, educational, political and cultural awareness. This established organization prides itself on effective community service and the ability to educate, elevate and empower all those who cross our path. To learn more, please visit: www.JustBeCUS.org.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Denver, Colorado – December 2008

The National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations (NALFO) announces that two of its member organizations will no longer be affiliated with the NALFO. Effective December 3rd 2008, Omega Delta Phi Fraternity, Inc. withdrew their membership from NALFO. Jorge Garcia, President Elect of Omega Delta Phi Fraternity, Inc. described how their organization “appreciates the hard work and dedication of the NALFO officers and member organizations. We wish the best for NALFO and its members in the future and look forward to maintaining a positive relationship with NALFO and its member organizations.” In addition, Nu Alpha Kappa Fraternity, Inc. has also chosen to withdraw their membership from the NALFO effective January 1, 2009.

###

Established in 1998, NALFO serves as the umbrella council for 23 Latino/a fraternities and sororities from across the United States. The purpose of NALFO is to promote and foster positive interfraternal relations, communication, and development of all Latino fraternal organizations through mutual respect, leadership, honesty, professionalism, and education.

__________________________________________________ _______________
WOW! Anyone in the know as to why this occurred?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyWicked View Post
WOW! Anyone in the know as to why this occurred?
I don't know anything about the reasons behind these two particular orgs pulling out, but I have heard through the grapevine that some of the NALFO orgs believe the council is too large to be effective. That may have something to do with it.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I could understand some orgs that have been ineffective, ODPhi hasn't been one of them at all!

...but according to this, both orgs chose to leave....I'd just like to know the reasoning behind this.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyWicked View Post
I could understand some orgs that have been ineffective, ODPhi hasn't been one of them at all!

...but according to this, both orgs chose to leave....I'd just like to know the reasoning behind this.
I'm not talking about individual orgs. I'm talking about the council as a whole which might be why a strong org like ODPhi might take its leave.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm still waiting on an official press release from nationals, but I'm inclined to believe that this is, in fact, the reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I don't know anything about the reasons behind these two particular orgs pulling out, but I have heard through the grapevine that some of the NALFO orgs believe the council is too large to be effective. That may have something to do with it.
As soon as I hear something, I'll post it.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd love to have a working definition of "effective" in this case.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just confused where your mind is with that statement 'Shid LOL

or maybe it's ME?! lol
Old 12-11-2008, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL

I'm just sayin..... depending on what NALFO is supposed to "do" I'm not sure if it matters how large it is.

I personally think it's more important to have truly national organizations on a national council....no offense to more regional organizations, but I just don't see ODPhi and LUL as having similar issues culturally. (Greek culturally)

Of course I could be wrong, but I'd love to hear multiple opinions.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just sayin..... depending on what NALFO is supposed to "do" I'm not sure if it matters how large it is.
I've always thought (based on my past work with NALFO) that the purpose of NALFO was to provide resources to and support growth of its member organizations. Just like I stated in another thread, the council's lax requirements seemed to encourage people to create new organizations instead of building on the existing ones. The moratorium helped, but there was really nothing else that the council did to combat this. The end result is a handful of truly national organizations, several regionals, and a few one-state-only schools. I don't see how one council can support all of these groups' interests simultaneously.

Quote:
I personally think it's more important to have truly national organizations on a national council....no offense to more regional organizations, but I just don't see ODPhi and LUL as having similar issues culturally. (Greek culturally)
What do you mean?

Old 12-11-2008, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

We'll talk offline about it....
Old 12-11-2008, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My guess is that ODPhi's decision may have to do with the fact that their membership demographic is changing, and they haven't been calling themselves a Latino fraternity for awhile. As for NAK...that was out of nowhere...but I'm going to ask about it.