GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,358
1 members and 2,357 guests
zolivilittlez29

Old 09-16-2002, 02:38 AM
GreekChat Member

RUSH Parties

I'm ashamed to admit that my fraternity is a bit on the wild side.

Since my fraternity mostly consists of deaf members, we've also been a bit isolated from truly fitting in on the campus Greek cliche. Every former president of LSP, and of our deaf sister sorority, has been lax about reading, understanding, and acquiring help to understand the complex legal literature about our school's requirements and restrictions that apply to ALL our Greek crews on campus.

Once I became president of this excellent organization, I began to outreach more, contact other presidents, and have meetings with our school's Greek advisor. The advisor is excited about working with a veteran organization that just flew under his radar for so many years.

Here's my problem.
----------------------------
My fraternity has vehemontly resisted giving up any access to alcohol at any time. Only because of tradition, we have "dry" ritual and retreat events, but ONLY for a specific period of time (and there are breaks for a half hour "non-event" time where the guys guzzle down as much beer as they can to last them to the next "break").

There is a traditional rush party held every Friday of rush week between LSP, our sister sorority, our rushees, and the open public. Keg beer is free upon admission and liquor shots are sold on an individual basis. The guys are really looking forward to this party as usual, perhaps even more than our rush events.

Now, I've read our chapter re-charter papers and some "Fraternity / Sorority Guideline Manuals" that were passed back to me on 9/3/2002. Inside, there was legal documentation stating that all rush activities MUST be dry, including parties, or else there will be punishment in the form of fines, probation, etc.

What the heck can I do? Every trusted brother that I've asked their opinion on this subject objects to the school "controlling their behavior off campus and outside their jurisdiction." Some of them are stating that it's not fair and they will ignore the rule, due to tradition. Another is concerned but is sure we won't get caught since we never have been reported and those who don't like us won't know how to report it.

Help? Can anyone make sense of what I've just said???
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2002, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sassykd
I hate to break it to you, but you really should give up alcohol during rush events. Strictly from a risk management point of view, the school is protecting its butt, which leaves yours wide open. (Just read the risk management section to see how this can cause problems for chapters). Also, as your website states that you have plans to go national in the next few years, if you plan on joining a governing organization, that might already be a policy or "highly Reccomended".

Why make the part part of your rush? Have it as a party for the sake of a party and that way you can have a dry rush. I know tradition is important to you, it is important to everyone, but if you want to become an active force on your campus, you need to abide by the rules.

Hope that helps.
Melissa
Old 09-16-2002, 09:43 AM

Just have it as a party, not a rush party. While I had fun at some of the fraternity wet rush parties in my time, I often wondered how they kept everyone's name straight when they were all getting schnockered...
Old 09-16-2002, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Officially, this is a party "for the sake of having a party." However, it's being hosted by "The girls of this particular address" which just happens to be the same place that my sister sorority has their rush events and that all members of that house just happen to be sisters, as wel.

Would a reasonable person, upon learning that if all members of that house are greek sisters, as well as using that house as a central meeting place for recruitment, and that this party is thrown during the week of rush, would that reasonable person conclude that this party be a party in violation of the dry recruitment agreement?
Old 09-16-2002, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I think most people would DEFINITELY see it as a violation of a dry recruitment contract.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:29 AM

If you have random people coming who have no intention of rushing, or people from other Greek orgs besides you and your sister group, how can it be a rush party?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It's an open party, but it's also a party ran by greek members who will have rushees and alcohol there.

I've found out that these rules are for IFC members. My organization is a local independant greek fraternity who has been long interested in joining IFC or a similar representative union -- however, we can't afford national insurance for a while yet.

Will those rules, which were established by the school but in the handbook only state are for IFC, impact my local independant fraternity? Even if the fact that the open party hosted by greek members with rushees and alcohol will almost definitely be reported by people who have a grudge against us?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

If your chapter is not a member of your campus IFC, the rules should not govern you. Just remember, that state laws still do and this party sounds like it could be pretty big! Be careful!
Old 09-16-2002, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

So I should definitely be finding out what state and school rules apply to us, because IFC definitely does not? Meaning we can freely ignore any IFC stuff?
Old 09-16-2002, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You may be able to ignore IFC rules, but if you are a registered campus organization, there may be rules you have to follow for that, or if you are housed in university housing, they definitely have rules you have to follow. (Plus of course state and local laws.) You might want to look into those.

Plus, this shouldn't be about JUST the law. This should also be about risk management (we live in a litigous society), and it should be about living up to high ideals. Alcohol at rush parties may give potential members the idea that partying is what the fraternity is all about, and I presume you are about much more than that. Does it help you get the type of new members you want?

And if you're looking into IFC affiliation down the road, you'll be facing some stiff new rules. Each campus' IFC rules tend to be pretty similar to the NIC rules, so if you join CSUN's IFC, you'll have to abide by them, even if you're not national. Starting off now by following the rules will show the other fraternities on campus you are serious about joining IFC - remember, they don't have to let you in!