GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,188
0 members and 1,188 guests
No Members online

Old 02-22-2010, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
Hey...watch it. I'm a 90's stepper and IMO we stepped better back then...more precision, less hype, less theatrics, just stepping non-stop. Yeah, bring back 90's stepping and I might start going to more stepshows.
Exactly what I'm talking about. What I saw ZTA do (though not as precise) was take it back there. Yeah the gimmick was old, but guess what they hit the mark. And that's all they needed to do because they had the other gimmick going for them. As a step team you gotta plan for that.

It's like when Jordan played, he never got the fouls...and the person covering him knew that as well, so you gotta adjust.

I'm a 90's stepper as well and I can't wait till we get back to stepping again.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I just can't believe how Sprite used the D9 to promote their reality show and selected a non-D9 group. The history of stepping is more than steps and moves but, part of our cultural. Some things should be left for us to cherish! To have another D9 show this group steps, and then to see this performance should've been a slap in our faces. Neither sprite nor MTV will never understand the passion we have for our organizations, but, obviously they realize we will PAID (SOLD OUT SHOW IN ATLANTA) to support our organization! Money that our brothers and sisters can use to further their education is now in the hand of the people who do not represent D9. They obviously DO NOT understand the BLOOD SWEAT and TEARS went into establishing D9. I heard they made enough money they plan a second airing next year! (How sad!!!)I will NOT support this event! I'm still in shock!

If you want to read some shocking results read the comments on you tube under ZTA. They have a lot to say!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1920 View Post
I just can't believe how Sprite used the D9 to promote their reality show and selected a non-D9 group. The history of stepping is more than steps and moves but, part of our cultural. Some things should be left for us to cherish! To have another D9 show this group steps, and then to see this performance should've been a slap in our faces. Neither sprite nor MTV will never understand the passion we have for our organizations, but, obviously they realize we will PAID (SOLD OUT SHOW IN ATLANTA) to support our organization! Money that our brothers and sisters can use to further their education is now in the hand of the people who do not represent D9. They obviously DO NOT understand the BLOOD SWEAT and TEARS went into establishing D9. I heard they made enough money they plan a second airing next year! (How sad!!!)I will NOT support this event! I'm still in shock!

If you want to read some shocking results read the comments on you tube under ZTA. They have a lot to say!!!
Ok, youre entitled to how you feel but you know that D9 is about more than stepping? I'd like to think our organizations stand for more. Our organizations will crumble at the hands of more destructive situations. Like hazing lawsuits. Let's talk about that.

Or not. :shrug:
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw66oy5xyDw

CHECK OUT THESE COMMENTS!!!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
I don't care how they won, the fact of the matter is they won.
Then you are too far away from your "pledge" process.

I'm sure your prophytes didn't allow you to piss on them and claim that it's rain. All things are not equal for the sake of equality. If a BGLO team wasn't that great, but just greater than those that sucked, we'd say exactly that and spare the rainbow pissing ponies.

ETA: As for your response to my comment about the 1990s-ish routine, you completely missed what I was saying. It wasn't technical because it was 1990s steps. It was technical because they are (some) dancers and cheerleaders who had the technical and mechanics of the steps down pact. It was 1990s because that entire routine has been done before by various BGLO teams since the 1990s. @ rhoyaltempest: I am also a (late) 1990s stepper who recognized all of those as old steps from before and during my college days.

Last edited by DrPhil; 02-22-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
But hey, at least they were able to learn the steps. Some of us can't do that, even when copying.
We call those people "NOT step team members."

Sorry, but I can't give someone props for learning a step just because there are many people who lack the ability to learn. Hell, kids learn steps.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

I'm sure your prophytes didn't allow you to piss on them and claim that it's rain. All things are not equal for the sake of equality. If a BGLO team wasn't that great, but just greater than those that sucked, we'd say exactly that and spare the rainbow pissing ponies.

ETA: As for your response to my comment about the 1990s-ish routine, you completely missed what I was saying. It wasn't technical because it was 1990s steps. It was technical because they are (some) dancers and cheerleaders who had the technical and mechanics of the steps down pact. It was 1990s because that entire routine has been done before by various BGLO teams since the 1990s. @ rhoyaltempest: I am also a (late) 1990s stepper who recognized all of those as old steps from before and during my college days.
No my prophytes taught me no excuses. If you lose, you lose. Step up and get better, don't try to find everything that somebody else did in order to justify losing. If you did a great step show without any mistakes and still lose, then you didn't take into consideration the intangibles. In the case of the Sprite Step Off the greeks forgot that gimmicks give people an edge (which is why people have gimmicks in their shows in the first place.) Whether right or wrong ZTA's gimmick was being white. The moment it was learned that ZTA was in the finals, all the Greek Sororities should have known, they will have to be better than the best they can do.

Their show was typical of the 90's, unfortunately the runner ups shows were typical of today, which is not a "step" up from what was done in the 90's
Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah the gimmick was old...
Then, you did get my point. Thank goodness.

Quote:
And that's all they needed to do because they had the other gimmick going for them
We noticed.

Quote:
I'm a 90's stepper as well...
U-N-I-T-Y
Old 02-22-2010, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Ok, youre entitled to how you feel but you know that D9 is about more than stepping? I'd like to think our organizations stand for more. Our organizations will crumble at the hands of more destructive situations. Like hazing lawsuits. Let's talk about that.

Or not. :shrug:

You would think.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then, you did get my point. Thank goodness.

We noticed.

U-N-I-T-Y
Yeah that is the point I am making. I'm not trying to start any beef on the net so I apologize if I quoted you out of context.

I still stand by though that as plain as the ZTA show was (done and overdone like we both said done in the 90's) it was up to the others to step up.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Whether right or wrong ZTA's gimmick was being white.
Are you intentionally going in circles? LOL.

If the only point that you're introducing to this thread is that the other teams should've stepped their game up once they noticed that an average-quality team had shock value in their favor, then...ok. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you intentionally going in circles? LOL.

If the only point that you're introducing to this thread is that the other teams should've stepped their game up once they noticed that an average-quality team had shock value in their favor, then...ok. Thanks.

Yeah that's exactly what I am saying. In a rather circular way.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what I am saying. In a rather circular way.
Yeah....

This is one of many discussions that isn't either/or. You can be average-quality and not TRULY worthy of 100,00K AND other teams should've stepped their game up to counter the shock value. Life's a balancing act.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

You hit the nail on the head. I couldn't put my finger on it at first but this is exactly what comes to mind when watching them. Cheerleaders especially are very good with the technical routines...very good.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You would think.
One thing though. We don't have to devalue stepping and its importance to those that love it and consider it a true artform to also embrace what we're really all about. I find that non-steppers and those that could care less about stepping do this a lot. We really can value EVERYTHING about us and not devalue any aspect of what we do by calling it "superficial." It always bothered me that we do that. As a former stepper and stepmistress of an undefeated 90's step team (that's right I said the 90's), who is also just as passionate and even more so of course about serving the community, the hard work, dedication, discipline, unity, etc. that comes from stepping can lend itself to many things including the service that we render. So let's not knock something down to lift something else up. We can do it all and do it all well.