GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,640
0 members and 2,640 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2017, 02:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
One of my pet peeves - that, and writing "alot" instead of "a lot". My students know better than to do either!
"a lot" and "a part" (vs. apart). They both drive me crazy.

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2017, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree with the view of PVGORD about the excellent education at public universities (cannot omit Virginia, arguably the oldest public ivy).

UT Alums are justifiably proud of their University, and I have always been a fan of the Longhorns - my son was accepted there, but always had his sights set on TCU, which was his final choice. Many, many friends of ours are UT grads, since my Far North Dallas neighborhood was full of them!
Old 08-27-2017, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
As a high school teacher in Texas, let me put in my 2 cents.

Because of the competition to be in the upper 10% of graduating classes, it is raising the bar for all the students. This is causing out-of-state and private universities to actively recruit Texas students to come to their schools.

I am at a pretty well-known school district in the northern suburbs of Dallas. We have college recruiters asking to specifically meet with our 9th and 10th graders in order to get them interested early in their specific schools.

So, yes, we are sending many of our best students to other states.
I no longer live in Dallas, but my kids graduated from JJPearce in the 90's, when it was still an elite high school. The competition was always fierce to get into UT and TAMU, but neither one wanted those schools - they were ready for a different experience.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
And once more with feeling - "it's" is a contraction for "it is." It is NOT the possessive of it. Believe it or not, I majored in English at Alabama and know that!
Thank you, Titchou! I majored in English at the University of Michigan.

Roll Tide and Go Blue!
Old 08-27-2017, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

@aoptx.
I understand.

It's a matter of supply and demand. UT remains very popular and selective without having to give much financial aid or scholarship.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

The schools where the majority of girls would want to go Greek — Highland Park, Westlake, Memorial, Alamo Heights, Southlake Carroll, etc., are also BY FAR the most competitive schools in the state. We once had a nanny from Southlake who had a 93 average and wasn't even in the top half of her class. Believe me, no one needs to pity the girls from those schools. They could be absolute superstars and not get into UT. By the way, my sorority sisters who went to those schools were far better prepared than I was at UT. Our freshman year was just a review of their senior year.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
I have always been a fan of the Longhorns - my son was accepted there, but always had his sights set on TCU, which was his final choice.
Just popping on to say that CLEARLY your son is brilliant and one of Texas' finest

I won't deny that UT isn't full of elite students, but some of them allow their orange colored glasses to cloud the fact that some of us COULD have gone there but chose not to do so.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
Just popping on to say that CLEARLY your son is brilliant and one of Texas' finest

I won't deny that UT isn't full of elite students, but some of them allow their orange colored glasses to cloud the fact that some of us COULD have gone there but chose not to do so.
And he married a TCU girl!
Old 08-28-2017, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
And he married a TCU girl!
Well, even better. Go Frogs.