GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,422
2 members and 1,420 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2001, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

It happened a long time ago

But I will try to remember my experience. I went to a large mid-atlantic school with a HUGE greek system. 19 sororities. They were:

Pi Beta Phi
AEPhi
Sigma Kappa
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
DPhiE
SDT
AZD
Alpha Phi
Delta Gamma
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Kappa Delta
Tri Delt
AGD
ADPi
AChiO
Phi Sigma Sigma
AOpi
Zeta Tau Alpha (colony)

First round of parties was "tours" 15 minutes quick conversation. ZTA was a colony and had rush technically after formal rush was over so they sang a song I think.

I LOVED Theta and Kappa to most I think after that round.

Next round was "set of 12" and out of 18 houses (ZTA dropped out) AOPi and Theta cut me. I think theta since it was (in my opinion) the best house I wasn't considered the best cut me and AOPi cut me but was quite frankly surprised but they are very good as well and I was CLUELESS about the rush experience and they were the last house I visited on the last night and was exhausted and probably didn't "sell myself" as well as I should have but honestly, I didn't realize I needed to sell myself anyway.

I cut Sigma Kappa (but ended up going back because I didn't realize AOPi cut me), AGD, Pi Phi, AZD and Gamma Phi Beta.

Set of 12 I still loved Kappa but also their rival Alpha Phi a lot. I also loved KD and Tri Delt.

Here is a break down on MY OPINIONS of the rest of the houses I visited during set of 12.

AEPhi -- A jewish sorority and I am not jewish so didn't think about them very much.

Sigma Kappa -- Average house. I tried to cut them even though I was a legacy and wasn't thrilled with them but they had great skits. there was a girl from my high school and she was nice but i will admit that I wanted to be a part of an "elite" house. Whatever that means I have no idea!

DPhiE -- another jewish house and thought as the "worst" jewish house.

SDT -- another jewish house and thought as the "best" jewish house

Alpha Phi -- I really liked them. Maybe not the top 1-2 houses but close.

Delta Gamma -- really diverse cool down to earth house. In hierarchy in the middle.

Kappa Kappa Gamma -- one of the best. Extremely pretty and somewhat preppyy (I am very preppy) and I liked them a lot.

Kappa Delta -- definitely one of the best. GORGEOUS house. KD Castle. Very beautiful in a glamourous way girls.

Tri Delt -- again, one of the best. Very preppy pretty girls. A lot of cheerleaders are Tri Delts.

ADPi -- not so great. two girls in that house lived on my dorm the year before and liked them but was so-so about them.

AChiO -- see DG

Phi Sigma Sigma -- another jewish house

AOpi -- one of the best but not the best 1-2 houses but close. But they cut me.

Ok, after set of 12 was set of 6 and I was cut HARD. I was only invited back to...

1) SDT
2) Sigma Kappa
3) Phi Sig

I was very shocked! I was a sophmore and cute but didn't have the best grades but still was shocked. I truly feel that my cluelessness played a part because I had no idea what I was doing! No one told me that there is a chance you wouldn't get a bid, that houses cut you. Our Rho Chi was terrible and I was simply clueless. My school's greek system was very competitive and I wish that I knew how every teeny tiny thing you wore, said, etc was being judged on. I simply was CLUELESS.

Anyway, I wasn't thrilled with any house, especially since I knew I wasn't going to go SDT or Phi Sig b/c I am not jewish and that is not an option. I would have gone Sig Kap because I really liked their skits but wasn't thrilled but at that point I just wanted to be in a sorority. Plus, I had no idea what being a legacy meant really so I was just clueless. Sorry to keep repeating myself.

Any way, picking up invites to preference came and I went all the way to the panhell office to pick up my invites and was invited to...

Nowhere.

My rho chi didn't call me or anything. I wasn't humiliated I was pissed that my rho chi didn't call me to save me some humiliation. However, NO ONE knows this story. Not even my best friends.

My Rho Chi was a KD and I think she should have called me.

I'll tell you this, I did go greek and loved it.

Any guesses as to where I went to school?

And, during my college years and since I graduated a million years ago, KKG, Pi Phi, Gamma Phi Beta, AGD and AZD lost their charters. All because of low numbers except for KKG who lost it b/c of pther problems. It's very competitive.

I wish these boards were here when I went through rush. I know I could have been a KKG or Theta. I'm a great girl!

PS -- supposedly the great houses are still great but I hear that ADPi is up and coming and doing an amazing job! And the "best" jewish house keeps changing so there does seem to be some changes at UMD.

Last edited by kimmykimmy; 09-28-2001 at 09:52 AM.