GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,499
2 members and 1,497 guests
naraht

Old 03-31-2002, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool What did you expect?

When you first posted on Greekchat, how did you expect people to reply to you? Were your expectations met? Generally, are the people what you expected them to be? Why/Why not?
Old 03-31-2002, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Star Turtle
Talking My First Post

My very first post ever was in the DELTA ZETA forum, so I had a pretty good feeling that my sisters would respond!

As I was once told by an 'elder sister' - remember, jessica, no matter where you go or what you're doing, you are a delta zeta, and your sisters will always be there for you!

=)
Old 03-31-2002, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Hmm, I expected that most people would be decent to me, and they have. After all, most of us are college graduates or are in school now.

I enjoy the interaction with Sorors, fellow Greeks, SF, et al, as long as I am careful about what I post and when I post.

When I talk with those in my "real world," I always have to resist saying "So-and-so said this," remembering that we are on the Internet. As a poster in another forum said (sorry I can't remember the name), there are some very distinct personalities behind these screen names.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah Right!

Well, when I first posted on here, I thought this was a place to talk with some other Alphas and remember those college days imbued with memries fond. I've met some truly insightful bros.There are times when other bros. input has opened my eyes to the opposition. But lately I've experienced some truly unbrotherly and selfish things that cause me to spend more time in the other forums than my own. I've always been about the brotherhood (whether I agree with everyone or not). But it's juast certain CAT SH*T that I believe undermine everything that honorable PLEDGING bros. were taught. So if nothing changes, eventually other bros. like myself will feel the need to fellowship in another forum and voice our opinions there.
Old 04-01-2002, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool I feel ya on dat!

It's been times on this forum that I was embarrassed by what was posted here. I can't believe some of da shyt I've read. I know everybody's entitled to their opinions; but quiet as it's kept, there is a big difference between the thinking of people because of the way they were brought in. It may not have been their fault; but if they don't know, they shouldn't speak on it.

YOU PLAY THE ROLE, YOU GET THE TITLE!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2002, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

How many posts do you expect to get? LMAO!

I didn't have ANY expectations when I first got here in 2000. I don't even remember how I got here. I've come into contact with all kinds of people that I would not have ordinarily.

I didn't know what "kind of people" I'd come into contact with. Many people post who may or may not be who they say they are. They may or may not TRULY reveal the convictions of their heart. I cannot spend my time wondering if someone is "true" or not. There are people in real life who are just as fake/phony.

All I can do is worry about myself. If the words that I have posted, in some way has helped another, that's satisfaction enough, everything else is irrelevant.

Old 04-01-2002, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
When I first stumbled on this site, I expected to find an aesthetic environment where adults could have mature, intelligent conversations and expected to be responded to as such. Because of all of the different orgs here, I expected to be able to see a wide variety of views on different topics.

GC has actually exceeded my expectations. I was initially greeted very cordially by my Sorors/ Moderators, John & frat, which is one of the reasons that I keep coming back to GC. The few ... ahem... "crazies" (for lack of a better word) that I have encountered, although sometimes shocking, really wasn't unexpected because we have those no matter where we go in life; the internet isn't much different.
Old 04-01-2002, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

To be completely honest...

I didn't have too many expectations because I didn't want to be disappointed. Of course I thought it would be more dudes here that were interested in joining a BGLO but hey, I can't complain cause folks are like family. Some I just love to death and some I would kick they ass the first time I saw them coming (at least that is my initial thought ).

People are going to be people regardless of what forum they are in and that was expected. I do try to stay out of controversy (although sometimes I can't help myself). I treat people on the 'net how I wanted to be treated in person. I may be a little cocky sometimes but that is me and I like me.

I've met some people on here that I know in person and some people I want to know but I like the fact that I get to meet a lot of intelligent people in many facets of life. I even like the fact that I'm not always seen as the "interest" but a person. But I like the fact that it is our admiration, fascination and for some membership that brought us here .

All love,

Old 05-18-2004, 02:29 PM
laidbackfella

Re: What did you expect?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Original Ape
When you first posted on Greekchat, how did you expect people to reply to you? Were your expectations met? Generally, are the people what you expected them to be? Why/Why not?
I don't remember exactly. I remember thinking this was a big board. Where da Black Folks at. I finally found them. I was getting bored cuz I couldn't find enough interesting topics until someone told me about the View New Posts link on the home page.

People here seem to be like people other places. Just a different kind of family feel here. Here it feels like the Huxtable family, while on other sites it feels like Archie Bunker's family.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What did you expect?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Original Ape

I expected a more diverse background in opinions... It seems most folks on GC are cut from the same cloth when it comes to certain issues...but I guess that reflects today's society...

I didnt expect so many people still in college/school... I thought there would be more people that were beyond the undergraduate level...

But all in all...I've had very very good experiences on GC...its always good to see how different people think

It would be nice to put faces with the screen names...but I guess the "Look at Me" thread is the closest I'll get to that
Old 05-18-2004, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

you get what you give...

I expected what I got. Fun/interesting, mostly drama-free conversation. Beyond the "keyboard chatter," I've made friendships with folks in other parts of the nation, introducing me to new perspectives. I may totally disagree w/ another's point of view, but at least I can see how other thought streams emerge.

GC is kinda like a family reunion picnic -- some peeps around the table make me think, some make me laugh, and some just make me But at the end of the day it's still all good.

...but as always, stay away from the potato salad.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 06-09-2004, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I had/have experienced a lot of negativity from chapter sorors. However, I have seen sorors from other chapters be very sisterly towards each other. This is what I expected from GC. This is what I have received from most sorors.

I had no expectations about other bglo members except that there would be a lot of respectful separatism. I was very pleasantly surprised. Not only do GCers interact in each other's forums, but with real sisterliness/brotherliness instead of fakeness.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

ttt
~ Luke 19:10
Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I thought more frat Brothers would be on the avenue and I would know some and meet others as I travel. I thought we would all be supportive of the brotherhood and run things as we normally do.

I thought the AKA would have our back and they do for the most part. I thought they would be more meek and not as strong as they are on GC.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's just say I made a couple of mistakes when I first posted on GC.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!