GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,037
2 members and 2,035 guests
babobygooglet93, oncegreek

Old 08-19-2003, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Alright, I'll share the NCSU story.

A little background first:

Here at NCSU, we have railroad tracks that go through the middle of the campus. There are bridges and tunnels that let people get from one side of the campus to the other - so you don't have to actually cross the tracks.

The other background info that is important is we have a building on campus called the 1911 building. It was not built in 1911.

Alright, so here is the story of how the building became the 1911 building. In 1911, the building was a dormatory and housed many of the students at NCSU. Hazing was still in full swing involving fraternities and pledges. A popular act of hazing was tying pledges to one of the railroad tracks. Well, only one set of tracks was opperational at the time - so the brothers would tie the pledge to the non-opporational track....and they would hear a train comming and get scared (naturally)...well the train would pass on the track right beside them and then the brothers would all laugh and untie the poor pledge...WELL, in 1911, the brothers did this and the pledge died. Not from being hit by the train, but of a heart attack because he really though he was going to be hit. The dorm that the boy lived in was renamed the 1911 building shortly thereafter when hazing was outlawed for any and every reason here at NCSU.

Now, I don't know if this is 100% true, but that is the story that is passed around campus. I do know that the 1911 building was NOT built in 1911, so that is not the reason it is named as such...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2003, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Eeek, I'm so freaked out now! When will I learn not to read these stories when I'm home alone?!
Old 08-19-2003, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gypsiilee
~But at my school lots of crazy stuff has happened. Recently this past semester, a guy on Douglass/Cook campus (rutgers) hung himself in the woods right outside my friends dorm! He wasn't a student but his exgirlfriend was and rumor has it he was trying to get her back but when he saw she had someone else he flipped and killed himself~

To let u know, my roomate was a volunteer with teh campus police , he was called there that day and had to assist with the removal, he was posted nearby to deter onlookers and such, he was very freaked out!! (if i rememebr he sawthe guy hanging as well)
Old 08-21-2003, 04:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Re: Interesting/scary facts of your sorority

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana
In the early 1980's one ASA from the chapter at my school was found murdered. My ASA sisters were waiting for her to come to the house and she never came. TO this day they still don't know who killed her. We didn't even know this had happened to one of our sisters until the Greeley paper wrote about it in the paper -saying they are still searching for the killer. I'll be living in the house she used to live in. I just thought this was interesting and scary.
Does anyone know anything strange facts about their house?

Being in Greek Life in Greeley and just hearing scary stories of Greeley itself, that just doesn't help hon!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

*Bump with story*

Was looking over these and thought they were creepy, does anybody have any more?

i have one about my school that's kinda Greek-related...the first head of the Theater dept. was Miss Althea Hunt and she was an Alpha Chi...she worked at the school for about forty-fifty years before she retired and then died in the late 1960s...she's said to haunt the theater and the classrooms around the hall that houses the main, studio and lab theaters...my Stagecraft instructor told us the story of a girl who was in his class and saw her! She was in the lighting lab working on a project really late at night and heard the stairway door open and someone walking up the stairs, but she didn't hear the lab door open. She went back to doing her work and glanced up at the window that looks out onto the theater and saw the reflection of an older woman in the glass. With her mouth open. Screaming a silent scream. She turned around and the woman wasn't there. She turned back and SHE WAS STILL IN THE GLASS SCREAMING! The girl bolted from the lab and they found her the next morning on the field outside of the theater hall, scared to go back in the building to get her keys but she couldn't go home either.

My instructor also told us some weird experiences he had with Miss Althea...it's also well known that she hangs out in the main theater and if one of the seats go down while you're onstage performing or rehearsing, that's Miss Althea coming to watch you and be entertained

Another Greek-related story, a friend of mine whose chapter used to/maybe still has initiation outside told me that before the ceremony started, they saw the ghost of the Running Indian boy that runs through campus on certain nights....but the section of campus that he runs through used to be on a higher terrain, so his ghost runs nine feet in the air! All of these stories have been written about in LB Taylor's books, The Ghosts of Williamsburg and The Ghosts of Virginia series...
Old 07-09-2004, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

First, my interesting fact about Ted Bundy: I just learned about a year ago that my boss's cousin was one of Ted Bundy's victims out west: Roberta Parks.

The Kappa house at Iowa State used to be a Baptist Student center before we purchased it and took over. Rumor has it that in the late 1910s a young women, called Annie, died there (whether from murder or natural causes is unclear) and she still haunts the chapter house to this day, especially room 14. There have been numerous Annie sightings in hallways and one by a former roommate where Annie was hovering over my own (blood) sleeping sister!

Annie usually just makes a lot of mischief such as turning radios and tvs off and on in the middle of the night, turning on hair dryers, opening closet doors and making books fall off shelves.

One year some girls got together and bought a ouija board for room 14. The fall of my sophomore year two other girls and I came back from a party and got the brilliant idea to contact Annie with the ouija board. We sat down on the floor, shut the lights and blinds and lit some candles (oops, fire hazard!) and proceeded with our mission. We did get "something" who "talked to us" and claimed she was Annie. She said had been killed by a man named Wesley but didn't mean us any harm. The freakiest thing was about 5 minutes into our session, the flames on the candles went really low (but not out) and stayed that way--no flickering or anything, even when we moved--until we said goodbye to Annie. They then went back up to normal. I know I wasn't moving the little triangle piece and the other two girls swore they weren't moving it either (though I'm not so sure about that) but the candle thing was enough to freak me out!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: About Ted B. and the Chi O house -

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD
Eastern Michigan University is in Ypsilanti, MI. I've never heard any stories about Bundy being here. Guess I'll have to check into that.
EMU's serial killer was John Norman Collins. It occurred around 1968. The story is detailed in "The Michigan Murders". It's for real. My sister-daughter's parents were at EMU at the time. John Norman Collins killed numerous women in Ypsi and Ann Arbor. And, he was in a fraternity, which is closed now (but it was active when I was in school!). They talk about it in the book. I read it before I went to Eastern and then again after I moved out of the area. I didn't want to read it while I actually lived there.. too creepy! You will recognize addresses and places if you know the area. (And perhaps even a house that was once our unofficial AGD house .. back in my day)

Dee

Last edited by AGDee; 07-09-2004 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphaiota Send a message via Yahoo to alphaiota
i want to know what fraternity. pm me if you don't want to say on the board.

shelley j
sigma k
Old 07-09-2004, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Supposedly back before we lived in our house and before AGD's lived there, a wealthy family resided there and had a maid who lived in the basement. The area where she lived we refer to as catacombs (it's where our art room is located and there are storage closets).

Anyway the family was gone on vacation around Christmas time and the maid was up on the third floor and supposedly tripped down the back staircase. (It's a staircase that is no longer there. The door is still there, but the staircase has been gone for years.) It must have been a pretty steep staircase because it went all the way to the basement. She broke her neck, died and the family found her upon her return.

She's a nice ghost though - she helps members find things from time to time when they lose items. I lived in the house for four years and never saw her, but other people claim they have.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

both of these are stories with no truth to them, but that being said, they are often circulated just the same.

A Chi Omega hung herself in her closet for reasons unknown. People who live in the room of that house (now occupied by another, non-glo group) claim to have heard strange noises at night, but I myself am rather skeptical knowing the truth of the story (no Chi Omega ever hung herself in that house...don't know what happened to the sisters later in their lives, but there are no records of Chi-O sisters dying in the house)

The oft-told tale that a freshman jumped off Hoover Tower in 1941, heartbroken because no sorority would take her, is another Stanford myth in need of debunking.
A freshman killed herself in the spring of 1941, and she was indeed heartbroken. But it had nothing to do with sororities, and she didn’t leap from Hoover Tower.
She was a lovely, shy girl—the daughter of a very old father by his young, second wife. They lived in Atherton and also had a ranch.
She fell in love with one of the cowboys on the ranch and was planning to elope with him. Her father found out and was outraged. He refused to let her marry the lad—in fact, he fired him and told her she must never see him again. It was because of this that she drove into the Foothills and shot herself.

there is a story about a young man who didn't make grades and commited suicide by jumping from the same tower, but I have no records confirming or denying.

Edited to include full story of the heartbroken girl who commited suicide.

Last edited by oncelurked; 07-21-2004 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to twhrider13
The sororities at my school (Jax State) don't have houses, but we each have our own floor in Sparkman, an all-women's dorm. The 2nd-6th floors are sorority floors, and independents live on the 1st and 7th-9th floors. We live on the 6th floor.

Our chapter was chartered in March of 1977; this incident happened shortly thereafter, but I'm not sure of the exact date or anything. One of our charter members, whose first name was Christy, was a long-distance runner who got up at 6:00 every morning to run.

One morning, she got up at her usual time to go run. It was a foggy morning, and sometime between 6:00, when she left, and 8:00, when she was found, she was hit by a car. It was a hit-and-run, and no one knows if she was killed instantly, or if she could've been saved had the driver stopped and called for help. Even after an extensive investigation, the driver was never found.

Anyway, all the sisters who have lived on the hall (I haven't yet) swear that Christy roams our hall wearing her white initiation dress. They also claim that the typical ghostly things happen from time to time--doors slamming, footsteps when no one is there, etc. Nothing "bad" has ever really happened to any of the girls who have lived on the hall since then, so we've all pretty much decided that Christy simply watches over us. I've never seen her, but I'll be living on the hall this fall and spring, so I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by twhrider13; 07-09-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: ghosts, psychos, and asylums...oh my!

Quote:
Originally posted by APhi

The Alpha Phi house is supposed to be haunted by a former house boy (a concept that went out a long time ago)
Houseboys still go on today... We had houseboys. Houseboys rock.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaiota
i want to know what fraternity. pm me if you don't want to say on the board.

shelley j
sigma k
I pm'd you, but I should make a note that the fraternity kicked him out for theft before he was accused of any of the murders.

Dee
Old 07-10-2004, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a great thread! Here is my contribution....
I'm a Sigma Kappa here at the U of Arizona-we are in the process of moving out of our current house and moving into a brand new one. Anyways, the house we are leaving used to be owned by a sorority (they are no longer on campus) and they left quite a few things behind when they moved out! Their name was etched into a sliding glass door that goes onto our patio which you can only see from an angle. However, you can't feel the etching because it is on the inside of the glass. Its very creepy! They also left a giant log of wood that had a VERY creppy face painted on one side with "property of XYZ ritual department-DO NOT remove from house" on the other side. We find their letters scratched into the most random things throughout the house all the time! To top it off, rumor has it that one of their girls was walking home from a party one nite and as she was running across the street to the house, she was hit by a car and killed. To this day, the girls who live in are convinced she (we call her Zeke) is haunting our house. TONS of things have happened-TVS turning on and off, clocks resetting themselves and flashing 2:30, doors randomly locking (this happened MANY times in my room), showers turning on and off, and books falling off the shelves. There was even one time when our house manager had just come downstairs after locking all the upstairs rooms and heard all the doors above her open and then slam shut one at a time, starting on one side of the house and making its way around to the other side! I have so many more stories but it would take forever to tell them all, so I'll stop! Needless to say, as much as I will miss the house, I'm kinda glad to be getting away from the ghost!

AZSigKap
Old 07-10-2004, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation AOPI AT FSU

The SIGEP house at FSU use to be the old AOPI house... They killed a sister for some wierd reason everyone says they are witches!! and the house is haunted.. I should know I went to Bessie's Ball and man Bessie haunts that house... AOPI is banned forever at FSU because of that.. There is a tunnel that leads from sigep to her grave sight... Which btw faces WEST not EAST like all the others.... Freaky!!!! ---I am proud to be a FL Gator---