GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,313
5 members and 1,308 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Phi Gamma???

Have you ladies heard about Zeta Phi Gamma Sorority? I guess they're a latina org. at Texas Tech. Check out their pictures (some things just look familiar). Tell me what you think....

http://www.members.tripod.com/zetaphigamma/zphi.html

DarknLovlieZeta
Old 02-09-2003, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Are they throwing up your sign?
Old 02-11-2003, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I did not see any more than any other org. Do you see something specifically related to Z Phi B, other than the Zeta and the Phi in the same order? In general it does seem that most Latin orgs have adopted hand signs like NPHC orgs.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
hello ladies,
I do see the same Z hand sign that ZPhiB does.
I wonder if they are aware of that, seeing that they were founded in 1993?
Old 02-14-2003, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by treblk
hello ladies,
I do see the same Z hand sign that ZPhiB does.
I wonder if they are aware of that, seeing that they were founded in 1993?
I really don't think another organization would intentionally adopt a similar handsign sign to disrespect another organization, or infringe on any privelege or confuse recognition, so the coincidence is just that, a coincidence. Nothing to get disheveled over. I think that it is cool they took the initiative to found a latina sisterhood.

Peace.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
Quote:
Originally posted by REIKI
I really don't think another organization would intentionally adopt a similar handsign sign to disrespect another organization, or infringe on any privelege or confuse recognition, so the coincidence is just that, a coincidence. Nothing to get disheveled over. I think that it is cool they took the initiative to found a latina sisterhood.

Peace.
No one is taking anything away for these Ladies and since we only have so many fingers to make hand signs, I'm sure there isn't anyway around that.
However, I would hope they did a bit of research when they choose to use that "specific" hand sign to associate with their sorority. Your right, nothing to get desheveled over, but it was an observation on my part.
But if another sorority altered the triangle and used it as a sign that they assocaite their organization with, then I would be a bit take back, because triangle hand signs have been associated with Delta's. We have no "legal" claim over it, but it's a well known fact just like the "Z" of ZPB. Just my thoughts.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Well...

You know what they say about imitation...
Old 02-14-2003, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Strive
Since they called themselves Zeta Phi. It is easier to make the Z sign. It is weird seeing someone else use "our" hand sign. But we cannot patent hand signs. So they are free to use it.

Being almost a year old in Zeta on March 20, 2003, I thought we did not have an official hand sign.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

no official hand sign???? according to nationals, the kitty cat is a sign of hazing. the z however is a z for zeta. not just us. how do you ladies feel about colleges using the cat sign for their school handsign?
Old 02-24-2003, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Strive
Wow, are you serious soror about that. That's news to me.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by X-FILEZ-ZPHIB
according to nationals, the kitty cat is a sign of hazing. the z however is a z for zeta. not just us. how do you ladies feel about colleges using the cat sign for their school handsign?
I don't get it? I thought the cat was your mascot? Anyway, maybe ZPG are not aware that we respect each other's sign and call. Maybe they need to be notified.
Old 02-25-2003, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
I don't get it? I thought the cat was your mascot? Anyway, maybe ZPG are not aware that we respect each other's sign and call. Maybe they need to be notified.
The "kitten" or "cat" is not an official mascot or symbol of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

On the topic: Zeta Phi Beta owns no copyright to any handsign, even "dove in flight" (the "official" handsign of Zeta, which has also been called the "kitten" or "cat" handsign). While I have done strolls and the like that have used the "Z" like Zeta Phi Gamma is doing, I realize that it is the shape of a "Z" and I suppose anyone who wants to use handsigns and whose name begins with Zeta would probably select that one to use as well. Their nickname, it seems, is Z-Phi.

It's so low on the radar, I guess it just doesn't matter much to me...
Old 02-26-2003, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Are you serious? No offense intended, but that really sounds catty, no pun intended. Like someone said in an earlier post NO ONE, including ZPB, DST, AKA, or SGRho own's hand signs. We only have 10 fingers so another organization is bound to duplicate. I could maybe understand if it were another BGLO, even then, it is rediculous to even think of doing something like that. It is just about respect -- of another organization -- just like you would want to be respected, right? "Maybe they should be notified"? No, maybe you need to do your research ...

Peace.

Last edited by REIKI; 02-26-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REIKI
Are you serious? No offense intended, but that really sounds catty, no pun intended. Like someone said in an earlier post NO ONE, including ZPB, DST, AKA, or SGRho own's hand signs. We only have 10 fingers so another organization is bound to duplicate. I could maybe understand if it were another BGLO, even then, it is rediculous to even think of doing something like that. It is just about respect -- of another organization -- just like you would want to be respected, right? "Maybe they should be notified"? No, maybe you need to do your research ...

Peace.
Geeeezz, take a chill pill and get real!!!! No need to get your undies in a bunch. I only ment that maybe ZPG are unaware of the similarity and maybe they should be notified of it. I don't think they would copy a hand sign on purpose. Like you said we only have 10 fingers.

X-FILEZ-ZPB said the kitty cat is a sign of hazing and I thought that would be strange since I was told by a ZPB member that the cat is the sorority's mascot. That is why I ask questions on GC, it is called research.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Geeeezz, take a chill pill and get real!!!! No need to get your undies in a bunch. I only ment that maybe ZPG are unaware of the similarity and maybe they should be notified of it. I don't think they would copy a hand sign on purpose. Like you said we only have 10 fingers.

X-FILEZ-ZPB said the kitty cat is a sign of hazing and I thought that would be strange since I was told by a ZPB member that the cat is the sorority's mascot. That is why I ask questions on GC, it is called research.
I was just stating a fact ... and still maintain that it is ludicrous to think that they need to be notified of a sign similarity. To propose so just really reeks of ignorance.
Closed Thread