GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,589
1 members and 1,588 guests
No Members online

Old 05-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Oh AMEN to the last 2 posts. Two years ago, a PNM who was going to a big SEC school contacted me for recs 2 weeks before rush. I wondered how well she'd do--she got cut by several groups (and was mad about it) but did get into a strong chapter.

PNMs! Pleeeaaassse get your recs early!
Old 05-29-2006, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
This should go to the ALUMNAE too.
Ain't that the truth! Last year, I got a call from a sister whose pledge sister's daughter was going through recruitment at a big SEC school. The call came the day everyone, including me, was leaving for convention!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:10 PM

Hey PNMs!

If you're looking for recs, don't go to the forum of every sorority on Greek Chat and cut and paste a message to the effect of "I am going to St. Bernard State and really want to be a member of Mu Tau Nu, you girls are the super bestest!! Where can I get a rec tHaNkS!!@$%"

The only thing possibly more gauche is pointedly posting this in only "selected" sorority forums of the groups on your campus - i.e. the "top" groups that you think are the only ones worthy of you.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aopirose
Ain't that the truth! Last year, I got a call from a sister whose pledge sister's daughter was going through recruitment at a big SEC school. The call came the day everyone, including me, was leaving for convention!
You think that's bad? Every year I get phone, fax and email recs after Recruitment has already started, sometimes even after 3rd stage (right before pref). What slays me then is when the alum gets upset because her PNM was already dropped. Like it's my fault we didn't know anything about the girl!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

In some of these alum's defense, they've been out of the loop for so long that they don't know what is happening in the sorority world-- if their daughters really want to join a sorority, they should do their own dirty work. Non-legacy PNMs have proven they can hustle and contact every person they know, as well as their mom's boss's doorman's third cousin's roommate's friend to get a rec-- why can't a legacy?

It's not mom's job and they have no right to get their undergarments in a twist if their kid is dropped from their precious sorority, especially if they themselves did not even write a rec for their child in time.

I realize that moms will continue to moan, whine, complain and remove support if their child isn' selected to join "MY SORORITY," and I'm sure it hurts if your child is dropped from your organization, but that's life. Rejection is part of it and even all the supplementary paperwork in the world isn't going to change the fact that your child could be a better fit for another sorority. Recruitment is a mutual selection between PNM and sorority--- not between mom on PNM's behalf and sorority.

ETA: Moms-- sorry to offend. You represent the minority of women with legacies. I realize the women on this BB are involved alumnae and know the deadlines or are at least here wanting to learn more. But we all know that a legacy is a courtesy introduction and that at some point, your daughter has to stand on her own. It would be a travesty for a legacy to receive a bid just because of her legacy... and to spend the next 4 years wondering if the chapter really wanted her. This is a concern I have seen even with legacies at even some of the most competitive recruitments. /end rant

Last edited by adpiucf; 05-30-2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
^^^^^Amen sista! What she said!

DC
Old 07-12-2006, 09:48 AM

Bumping this to make it active again.

PNMs, if you are looking for recs, GC should be your LAST resort. We don't know you in real life (except in a few cases). We have no idea if the information you are giving us is true. We'll gladly direct you as to where to go to secure them, but don't go to every (example) Phi Mu on the site begging for one.

We "oldsters" realize you conduct a huge amount of your daily lives over the internet, much more than we could have ever imagined when we were in school, but this is one area where you just SHOULD NOT.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I have clearly stated that I will NOT write recs for people on GC. However, I have stated in places that if the PNM had tried and tried and was stuck, i'd help them figure out who else they could contact (but, I know later on I got fed up and said that if they were getting nowhere, to contact KD HQ, but people still PM me).

If you are going to ask for my help- AT LEAST HAVE MADE AN EFFORT FIRST! One email to one person does not equal a lot of effort on your part. Email that person again. Contact the local panhel. Contact our HQ for a contact person. There are hundreds of posts on GC about where you can find people to write you recs. Contacting a stranger on the internet for help should be your LAST RESORT. I'm not inclined to help you find a rec if all you have done is email one person.

I'm also not inclined to help you if your PM looks like it was written by a 12 year old fluent in net-speak. If that's the way you approached your potential recommenders, it's no surprise they didn't get back to you. I'm not a total grammar-whore, but at least make an effort at formal writing. This is a request for help to someone that you don't know, not an IM to your BFF.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

reposting my reply from another link

If you are a PNM and you have secured an informational rec for a sorority, please do not go out seeking additional informational recs for that sorority. The chapter will just be annoyed. Informational recs are recommendation forms filled out with your general info, grades, and activities/honors by alumnae who are doing it as a courtesy-- meaning they are not family members, friends and people who know you well and they have checked off a box stating such.

Multiple informational recs to the same sorority are redundant and unnecessary. You are wasting your time, the time of the additional alumnae who are assisting you, and the chapter's time. The chapter may even develop a negative impression of you because you have created more paperwork for them and done absolutely nothing to distinguish yourself with any new information or bring a new perspective of what you have to offer sorority membership.

If you have mutliple recs from personal sources, that's a completely different story. Or if you have one recommendation submitted and individualized letters of support from other personal sources; again, this brings actual perspective to your application.

There's a such thing as overdoing it. Multiple informational recs are the perfect way to start on the wrong foot.

Please remember to ask everyone in your life-- parents, family friends, teachers, neighbors, etc., for a rec before you solicit strangers for informational recs on the internet. Try the Alumnae Panhellenic in your hometown before you resort to looking up strangers. Good luck with recruitment and if you know that the culture of your campus's recruitment places an emphasis on recs, start early to get those into the chapters!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Recs at my school are listed as "optional" and recommended I think. However, I know that a lot of top houses will cut girls early when they don't know them well because she doesn't have a rec.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
do I need a rec?

Ok so from what I understand, I don't need a rec because I do not have aspecific sorority that I am like dying to pledge. Is this correct? I mean I have a few that I am more interested in, but I am going to keep an open mind about where I fit in best. So yeah... am I right in guessing that I don't need a rec?
Thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

several sororities require a recommendation for a pnm(potential new member,aka rushee) before they can pledge a girl. zta does.i will leave it to other alumnae to say whether their sorority does or does not.

there have also been several threads this year about some sororities on some campuses having to release large numbers of girls, due to the high percentage of girls wanting to return to those chapters. especially on the first day of recruitment, not having a recommendation on a girl might be an easy reason not to keep a girl on the invitation list. so would a gpa lower than the chapters minimum required gpa. you can't change your gpa, but you can obtain recs.

most panhellenic websites that discuss recommendations will state that "it is the sororities obligation to obtain a recommendation on a pnm, if it is required." if it is a popular house, on a large campus with lots of girls participating in recruitment, the sorority may already have so many candidates that DO have a recommendation, that it would take a very special person for the sorority to work real hard to find a rec for her.

if you know that girls rushing on your campus usually have recommendations, then i would suggest that you get as many as you can. not just to the houses you THINK you are interested in-your interests might change during the week, and your #1 choice before recruitment began, might not remain your favorite. why shoot yourself in the foot, when you can maximize your chances? a recommendation will not guarantee you a bid, but it MAY get you invited back to the next party.

if you know that recommendations are rare on your campus, then it would not be such a big deal.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to CuriousWildcat Send a message via MSN to CuriousWildcat
I totally understand. The only problem is that I don't know anyone else who is rushing/has rushed/has been in a sorority so I don't know whether or not recs are a big deal on my camus or not...
Old 08-02-2006, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you an AZ Wildcat? A rec would be a BIG help if you want one of their top houses.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going to University of Kentucky