GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,146
0 members and 1,146 guests
No Members online

Old 08-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

YouTubers, Influencers, etc.

It seems to me that some chapters at some schools fight over these girls and others avoid them because of any negative publicity they could get. What do y'all think?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2019, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Run Forest Run. These days one misunderstood post and the whole chapter can face the consequences.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I really don't "get it". I mean, I do and I don't. LOL They're not "real" celebrities to me. Or maybe I'm just too old?

I understand why a chapter might think they're getting a lot of cache from pledging an influencer. However, one has to remember that they are famous for being *online* and to keep their fame, they have to stay *online*. That means continuing to put their business out all over the internet.....and that could include the chapter.

There are the two twins from Chi Omega at Baylor, Brooklyn and Bailey, that are a big deal. Those girls get a pass from me. They turned their YouTube videos into a real business with real products for sale. So, for me, that is more credible in the achievements department.

True and Constant
Old 08-21-2019, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of them are harmless- I'm thinking of girls like Paige Mills at IU, who posts fashion stuff on IG. 90+ percent of her posts are fashion related. Others are big mouths and I wouldn't want them in my chapter, for fear if an interpersonal drama was playing out, it would wind up on some vlog somewhere. It really depends on the individual girl and how she handles herself online.

Paige is an Alpha Phi, in case anyone was wondering!
Old 08-22-2019, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I watch several channels run by college girls who are in sororities at their school—including Alabama and Georgia. Bama has some Pi Phis, an Alpha Phi, and maybe some others. Georgia has a KD whose channel is one that I love. Then there's some girls from Arizona, ASU, Oregon, and different schools from those regions—there's some Alpha Chis in that bunch as well as Alpha Phi, KD, and some others.

For the most part, I think they do an excellent job of representing themselves and their sororities in a positive light—not sharing things they shouldn't, not being too wild and crazy, that sort of thing. The ones I watch, at least, come across as level-headed and driven young women who enjoy being involved in not just their sorority sisterhood, but other things as well.

I know there have been some bad apples, but I think the good ones are definitely in the majority.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

If you don't embrace the new media, you'll be left behind. With the right mentorship, these folks can be major assets and can promote your brand. What's not to like?
Old 08-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Georgia and Georgia Southern KD have quite a few IG fashion influencer types.

Mostly harmless. The wost I could see is promotion of a product or service not consistent with the sorority's brand/values but most of these women are actually pretty smart and are also signed models - so I'd imagine that they take their personal brand too seriously to promote anything of that sort anyway.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

There have been a few bad apples. I won't mention names or organizations, but they exist. One bad one can do a bit of damage.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
There have been a few bad apples. I won't mention names or organizations, but they exist. One bad one can do a bit of damage.
Any examples of the types of stuff they did that caused issues?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Basically the gist is: people whose personalities aren't really cut out for sororities join and then encounter problems. Then, instead of going out gracefully and just realizing it wasn't a mutual match, they badmouth either their sorority, or Greek life in general on their YT channel. Whether or not this does any discernible damage to the sorority or GL in general is in the eye of the beholder, but they clearly put private business on the internet where it in no way belongs, and they don't really take responsibility for their role in the situations. Some of the videos have gotten pretty high view counts, so who knows who is watching all of this stuff.

I imagine it's probably capable of kicking a girl to one side of the fence that is pretty undecided on GL- those girls really treated so and so horribly! It's arguable if the Greek system could benefit from such a person, but 18 year olds are easily influenced by their Peers.

Definitely fuels the flames of anti- Greek sentiments.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

A "regular" bad apple is just as bad as a "celebrity" bad apple. If they screw up enough to warrant coverage, you're getting bad press either way.

I'd treat them like any other aspirant.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
Run Forest Run. These days one misunderstood post and the whole chapter can face the consequences.
Yep. And I feel like when these people fall from grace their ex-fans are 10 times more vicious than a movie or tv celebrity. There is still the illusion that youtubers are friends and people like you (when that’s not reality) so one wrong step and they’re “cancelled.” Subjecting your chapter to that sort of walking on eggshells doesn’t seem worth it.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This happened to a chapter on my campus last year and the former member in question aired out a bunch of chapter dirty laundry.

Quote:
Basically the gist is: people whose personalities aren't really cut out for sororities join and then encounter problems. Then, instead of going out gracefully and just realizing it wasn't a mutual match, they badmouth either their sorority, or Greek life in general on their YT channel. Whether or not this does any discernible damage to the sorority or GL in general is in the eye of the beholder, but they clearly put private business on the internet where it in no way belongs, and they don't really take responsibility for their role in the situations. Some of the videos have gotten pretty high view counts, so who knows who is watching all of this stuff.
This is 100% what happened. The NHQ got involved and even asked her to take it down but she refused.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKate1244 View Post
This happened to a chapter on my campus last year and the former member in question aired out a bunch of chapter dirty laundry.

This is 100% what happened. The NHQ got involved and even asked her to take it down but she refused.
Wow, I wasn't thinking about your school when I wrote that. I didn't even know it had happened there!

Darn YTers! Lol.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you all think about a girl with no social media presence at all? Would/Could this be detrimental to her? One of my daughter's bffs has a clean reputation, excellent grades, varsity poms, but NO social media. It's just not her thing. Thoughts?