GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,347
2 members and 1,345 guests
asamathattso539, bapitytts7552

Old 12-04-2003, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

"Best" College Football Teams: Graduation Rate of AA Athletes

THE UNIVERSITIES WITH THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAMS ARE DOING A POOR JOB OF GRADUATING BLACK ATHLETES

The nation's best college football teams are fighting to stay atop the Bowl Championship Series rankings so that they will be invited to a major bowl game this January. But this year's high-ranking teams have done very little to ensure the academic success of their black athletes.
According to JBHE research, of the 10 highest-ranked teams in the Bowl Championship Series rankings, only two have a graduation rate for their black players that is higher than 50 percent. More than 60 percent of the black players at the University of Southern California go on to earn a diploma. At the University of Georgia, 51 percent of the black players graduate. The lowest graduation rate for black players among the top-ranked teams is the University of Tennessee. There, only 26 percent of the black football players graduate.

Here is a listing of the 10 highest-ranked teams in the Bowl Championship Series ratings, ranked by their graduation rate for black football players.

1. University of Southern California (61%)
2. University of Georgia (51%)
3. University of Miami (47%)
4. Florida State University (43%)
5. University of Michigan (36%)
6. Louisiana State University (34%)
7. University of Texas (33%)
8. University of Oklahoma (28%)
9. Ohio State University (28%)
10. University of Tennessee (26%)
Old 12-04-2003, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Re: "Best" College Football Teams: Graduation Rate of AA Athletes

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
THE UNIVERSITIES WITH THE BEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL TEAMS ARE DOING A POOR JOB OF GRADUATING BLACK ATHLETES

The nation's best college football teams are fighting to stay atop the Bowl Championship Series rankings so that they will be invited to a major bowl game this January. But this year's high-ranking teams have done very little to ensure the academic success of their black athletes.
According to JBHE research, of the 10 highest-ranked teams in the Bowl Championship Series rankings, only two have a graduation rate for their black players that is higher than 50 percent. More than 60 percent of the black players at the University of Southern California go on to earn a diploma. At the University of Georgia, 51 percent of the black players graduate. The lowest graduation rate for black players among the top-ranked teams is the University of Tennessee. There, only 26 percent of the black football players graduate.

Here is a listing of the 10 highest-ranked teams in the Bowl Championship Series ratings, ranked by their graduation rate for black football players.

1. University of Southern California (61%)
2. University of Georgia (51%)
3. University of Miami (47%)
4. Florida State University (43%)
5. University of Michigan (36%)
6. Louisiana State University (34%)
7. University of Texas (33%)
8. University of Oklahoma (28%)
9. Ohio State University (28%)
10. University of Tennessee (26%)
I'm a University of Southern California alumna, class of 1986. Interesting reading. I'm wondering what the athletic department does to make sure that their AfAm athletes graduate in terms of tutoring, study group requirements, etc.

USC's black population overall, I believe, is only still around 5 percent to 7 percent, about what it was when I was in school.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a bit torn on this issue. I know of several AA men that play sports but don't put a great deal of effort into studying. I often believe that many athletes receive grades that have not been earned. Regardless, I find it hard to understand why AA of athletic scholarships don't just take advantage of opportunities on the court or field but also realize and put just as much effort in succeeding in the class room.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AristoCRAZY06 Send a message via Yahoo to AristoCRAZY06
Look at SC right up there where it belongs!!!!

GO DUCKS!

I think those statistics need to be carefully looked at, specifically by US because i think thats an illistration of how much these atheltic departments are invested i the education of these student athletes who bring their programs attention.

I'm disgusted...
Old 12-18-2003, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Out of curiosity, did they include athletes who left university early to go pro?