GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 750
0 members and 750 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2020, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Rochester Alpha Phi recruitment practices

The University of Rochester Alpha Phi chapter posted this:

The recruitment strategy in question is the one initially brought up by the University of Michigan a few years ago:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...I0G7Z6xthshRM/

Other chapters are also starting to recognize the damage these gross recruitment policies are causing, and it's my hope that the collegiate chapters will band together to force change in Alpha Phi so we can become a more inclusive and welcoming organization, based on values and not looks.

Old 07-15-2020, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Good!
Old 07-15-2020, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Was there some kind of national standard or rubric on appearance? Like you got 5 points for being a skinny blonde, 4 for a skinny brunette or something like that?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

That isn't clear in the docs, but I had a DM once that mentioned certain info is passed in person and not in official docs, which wouldn't surprise me.

I figured this might have been launched at certain chapters initially, which means the standard would be set there. Depending on the chapter makeup, that could be disastrous for chapters that didn't match that model and had to conform.

Old 07-15-2020, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
That isn't clear in the docs, but I had a DM once that mentioned certain info is passed in person and not in official docs, which wouldn't surprise me.

I figured this might have been launched at certain chapters initially, which means the standard would be set there. Depending on the chapter makeup, that could be disastrous for chapters that didn't match that model and had to conform.
The policy began with collegians at the University of Arizona chapter. If you look at Alpha Phi's e-board and those employed by the international , you will see an over abundance of women from that chapter. They brought their face house membership selection to the international organization and have been rolling it out for years.

I recall reading somewhere in those leaked documents something about hair, so there must have been something about appearances in writing.

Good for the collegians for leading the charge. I hope many more (including Alumnae) soon follow!
Old 07-15-2020, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I WAS TOTALLY GUESSING THAT CHAPTER!

And yes the hair thing was in the Michigan docs and it state a girl rated a 10 would have "silky hair".

Old 07-15-2020, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

BRAVA!!! Very proud of these young women!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
The policy began with collegians at the University of Arizona chapter. If you look at Alpha Phi's e-board and those employed by the international , you will see an over abundance of women from that chapter. They brought their face house membership selection to the international organization and have been rolling it out for years.
Do not leave out the TTU contingent.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m glad they are standing up! “Pretty Privilege” shouldn’t be what determines worthiness in a sisterhood. All the advice I’ve seen about “be yourself” and “you’ll find your fit” are irrelevant if how you “fit” is strictly aesthetics.

I keep thinking how weird it is that a grown woman is so heavily involved in determining the hotness rating for PNM’s and the actives. The audacity is beyond me!
Old 07-16-2020, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post

I keep thinking how weird it is that a grown woman is so heavily involved in determining the hotness rating for PNM’s and the actives. The audacity is beyond me!
I've been wondering the same thing myself.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Fantastic that these young women are standing up. It also sounds like it needs to be some changes on the national level.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

There needs to be huge changes, but Alpha Phi has completely ignored the issues surrounding recruitment practices so far.

The longer it takes to acknowledge our practices are terrible, the angrier members are going to get at being ignored by EO. And Gen Z has shown they are nothing if not creative, so I'm sure they'll draw attention to the issues in more profound ways if they aren't heard.

Old 07-18-2020, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Have Alpha Phi's recruitment practices impacted their success in attracting PNM's? It does not seem to have done that, at least not at schools in So. Cal
Old 07-18-2020, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncegreek View Post
Have Alpha Phi's recruitment practices impacted their success in attracting PNM's? It does not seem to have done that, at least not at schools in So. Cal
Precisely
Old 07-18-2020, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

The problem isn't whether or not the practices resulted in meeting quota . . .
Old 07-18-2020, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I do wonder what member retention is like in chapters that prioritize appearance above all else......