GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,287
0 members and 2,287 guests
No Members online

Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Boston U. '05 Bid Night

The 8 Boston University sororities participating in formal recruitment extended 240 bids, according to an article in the Daily Free Press Online (student paper, Jan. 26, 2005 issue). It looks like this produced pledge classes of around 30. The article doesn't give numbers for each chapter. Maybe some GCers in the know can provide more details. One of the Panhellenic Council vice presidents is reported as saying it was one of the best turnouts BU has ever seen -- 310 women registered.

A picture included with the story shows an Alpha Delta Pi being greted by her new sisters. I thought that might interest some of the ADPis on GC.

One night of recruitment parties was canceled because of the weather.

See

http://www.dailyfreepress.com/news/2...t-841690.shtml

(or you may want to search via Google News, the Yahoo news directory feature, or whatever's your choice of search engine)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-26-2005, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

My little sister actually got a bid to her 1st choice-ADPi, and she is in the picture, all the way in the left with the black shirt and jeans!
Old 01-27-2005, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Private I, congrats to your sister!

Nice turnout for them

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 01-27-2005, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Sororities at Boston U. have generally done very well, at least since I joined the Greek system. This number, however, blows away the past figures that I've heard. Over 300 prospectives is amazing, especially at a school that traditionally has not been supportive of the Greek system.

Private I, congrats to your sister; I was friends with quite a few of the ADPi's when I was in school, they were a solid chapter.

Awesome news; glad to hear that my school's Greek system is still going strong.

Collin
- Boston U. Kappa Sig alum
Old 01-27-2005, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDTSarah
Yay! That's awesome! I just had to giggle a little...

"'We have 30-girl pledge classes, which is huge.'"

I WISH everyone had 30-girl pledge classes...instead of 80 or 100...
Old 01-27-2005, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SDTSarah

Boston U. is a whole different story - if someone had an 80 or 100 member pledge class, I would die of shock.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

private 1- congrats to your sister! i know several of adpis advisors and have heard good things!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
My little sister actually got a bid to her 1st choice-ADPi, and she is in the picture, all the way in the left with the black shirt and jeans!
Your sister's a cutie! Please tell her that we all welcome her to the Greek system!! (and to log onto GreekChat!)
Old 01-27-2005, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

congrats private 1
your sister is precious. may she have a wonderful wonderful time
Old 01-27-2005, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Another congrats from here, Private I.

I'm glad someone else saw this article. It's one of the very few that spells out the recruitment process without any snide slanting from the usual suspects.

When I went through formal recruitment at BU in 1987 there were *maybe* 30-40 girls for 6 NPC chapters. (TriDelta, Alpha Phi, G Phi B, AEPhi, SDT, ADPi - DG was established a year later. SK returned after I graduated.) At most you had about 8 girls per new member class, assuming everyone got bids. On top of that, the Rho Chis weren't completely disaffiliated - many wore letters, etc.

Womens' Greek life at BU has come a LONG way in a relatively short time and with 30-girl NM classes, everyone must be bumping pretty close to total. (Which is 70, BTW)

From what I've seen the men's groups have been struggling w/ recruitment but with some elbow grease that could turn around as well.

GO TERRIERS!!!

On a somewhat related tangent, does anyone up in BU-land know if there is ever going to be an updated listing of GLO's websites? Or is the IFSC ever going to create one? (Speaking of helping the men and continuing to grow the Greek system, that would be square one, IMHO.)

--add
CAS 1990
Old 01-28-2005, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

yes, the new member classes were 30 at BU. Everyone Ive talked to there seems to be very pleased with results. Formal Recruitment has steadily improved in the past few years and I think that the greeks on BUs campus have really tried hard and mostly suceeded on improving the University's negative feelings towards GLOs.

I am an advisor to ADPi on BU campus and i am of course thrilled to meet all the new women in the coming month
Old 01-28-2005, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan
Another congrats from here, Private I.

I'm glad someone else saw this article. It's one of the very few that spells out the recruitment process without any snide slanting from the usual suspects.

When I went through formal recruitment at BU in 1987 there were *maybe* 30-40 girls for 6 NPC chapters. (TriDelta, Alpha Phi, G Phi B, AEPhi, SDT, ADPi - DG was established a year later. SK returned after I graduated.) At most you had about 8 girls per new member class, assuming everyone got bids. On top of that, the Rho Chis weren't completely disaffiliated - many wore letters, etc.

Womens' Greek life at BU has come a LONG way in a relatively short time and with 30-girl NM classes, everyone must be bumping pretty close to total. (Which is 70, BTW)

From what I've seen the men's groups have been struggling w/ recruitment but with some elbow grease that could turn around as well.

GO TERRIERS!!!

On a somewhat related tangent, does anyone up in BU-land know if there is ever going to be an updated listing of GLO's websites? Or is the IFSC ever going to create one? (Speaking of helping the men and continuing to grow the Greek system, that would be square one, IMHO.)

--add
CAS 1990
IFSC had a site up a couple of years ago (my senior year), but that seems to have fallen inactive. It had pretty good info, with numbers, e-boards, etc. I'm not sure if there are any plans to create another site, but I haven't heard anything.

I'm sure there have been lots of letters into the FREEP about the evil side of Greek life and how Boston U. should just get rid of it all together. It wouldn't be a Greek life article at Boston U. without some hate mail towards fraternities and sororities.

Greek life has gone a long way, and hopefully will continue to do so. I know that most of the sororities were high in numbers while I was in school. Hopefully my chapter as well as the other fraternities can stay strong; I'd love to see Greek life become more of a force on campus.

Collin
- COM and CAS '03
Old 01-28-2005, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone for the good wishes! She is in fact one of only I believe 4 sophomores that got a bid at all (I think that's what she said), so I'm super-excited for her, and she seems to be enjoying herself as well!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally posted by SDTSarah

Try this: 30 is OVER our campus total..... Average pledge classes are 4-7 or so in the fall and even less in the spring

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 01-29-2005, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Your sister's a cutie! Please tell her that we all welcome her to the Greek system!! (and to log onto GreekChat!)
I second what my sister Honey has said - and congratulations to you, as a proud sister!