GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,907
0 members and 2,907 guests
No Members online

Old 07-15-2003, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Oh my god... I really want to smack someone silly right now.
Wow.

Just to let you know, what GeekyPenguin said is true.

The women on this board have a certain sisterhood. No we don't have initiation or a real sisterhood unless we're from the same org...

But DO NOT MESS with my girls!

KLTC
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-15-2003, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Wow.
DO NOT MESS with my girls!

Awwww...*in a cheesy The Nanny's Fran Fine Accent* I'm so flattttttered!!!

U too GeekyPenguin
Old 07-15-2003, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Are you going to call it Peristeri, or Pi? Generally the outward letters (Kappa, Alpha, Banana, etc) symbolize something inward. For example, Gamma Phi Beta could stand for Good Flowers Bloom. (No, you didn't just learn our secret meaning, sorry.) Your posts have confused a lot of people - both in their multitude and their content. Saying you want to start SKEPi but use Sigma Kappa's history (yes, I know you corrected that on another forum, but most people here haven't seen it) is not correct and is very confusing.

BTW, a bit of newbie info for you - don't come onto boards looking for advice and then say you want to smack people. It doesn't get you very far.
We'd call it Sigma Kappa Erini (I think I spelled it wrong) Pi.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Well now that we know the significance of your letters, thank you and drive on through.

KLTC
Old 07-15-2003, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Erm, I don't mean to be offensive to you, but your posts from the beginning haven't been too clear.

You say that you want to start a women's group, for social and service. That's fabulous: Call it the Mount Ida College Alliance or MICA for short. Or WOMIC, Women of MIC. Something that spells out who and what you are. I for one don't have a clue what 'eriniri' is or whatchamacallit. How can you possibly draw people in to a new organization with a misleading name like Sigma Kappa What Ever?

The problem with coming on the boards and asking for advice about letters and how-to's when you state CLEARLY that you're not forming a sorority points to two things: You want a 'suggestive' name, and you don't just want a women's group, you want an underground sorority. Feel free to correct me if I'm way off base, but so far I have to confess to being skeptical.

Worst comes to worst, if your administration is so anti-Greek, start up an 'eating club.' That's what they do over at Princeton, I believe.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We may call our group Sigma Kappa Peristeri
I'm not asking this to be a smartass, but why do you want to name yourselves after a pigeon? Because that's what a "peristeri" is.

In the alternative, a "peristeri" is also New Testament Greek for "dove," which again is one of Sigma Kappa's symbols. Even "eirini," meaning "peace" could be construed as alluding to Sigma Kappa because the dove is an international symbol of peace. I can't stress strongly enough that this is NOT kosher.

cristinasmile, I understand that you are feeling defensive right now, but you have to understand that you seem to be telling us one thing and doing another.

I'm not a Sigma Kappa, but I'm getting really agitated FOR them. Honestly, I think they've showed remarkable restraint under the circumstances. If this concerned Alpha Gamma Delta, I'd be ballistic by now.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greeklawgirl
I'm not asking this to be a smartass, but why do you want to name yourselves after a pigeon? Because that's what a "peristeri" is.

In the alternative, a "peristeri" is also New Testament Greek for "dove," which again is one of Sigma Kappa's symbols. Even "eirini," meaning "peace" could be construed as alluding to Sigma Kappa because the dove is an international symbol of peace. I can't stress strongly enough that this is NOT kosher.

cristinasmile, I understand that you are feeling defensive right now, but you have to understand that you seem to be telling us one thing and doing another.

I'm not a Sigma Kappa, but I'm getting really agitated FOR them. Honestly, I think they've showed remarkable restraint under the circumstances. If this concerned Alpha Gamma Delta, I'd be ballistic by now.
The dove is a sign of peace worldwide.. International.

Trying to choose a name for our group that has meaning is driving me insane. I say one thing, and people automatically assume another.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
cristina, just to warn you, you MIGHT want to choose different letters for other reasons than people have mentioned.

I noticed that SKEPi is rather close to SAEPi, the sorority featured on the first season of Sorority Life. You mentioned that you had seen a few episodes, so maybe that's where you decided to use four letters instead of the usual two or three. While most of us agree that they were MUCH better than DZO, some people still feel that the show has negative connotations. Bringing this name to a school where there is NO Greek life whatsoever may cause administrators to be very close-minded to your idea.

Maybe you should form an interest group first and THEN come up with letters. That way it's something your entire sisterhood thought of.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-15-2003, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The dove is a sign of peace worldwide.. International.

Trying to choose a name for our group that has meaning is driving me insane. I say one thing, and people automatically assume another.
I don't think anyone would have a problem with a group called Eirini meaning peace, or Imani meaning faith, or whatever means the most to your group. It's the apparent use of the letters Sigma Kappa with no meaning behind them, other than they are the name of a national sorority, that people have a problem with.

If your intent as a group is to affiliate with Sig Kap and that is the goal you are working toward, pick another letter as these girls did. http://www.millersv.edu/~kappaphi/hist.html

If you are not sure if you want to affiliate later, choose a neutral name as these girls did http://www.iit.edu/~asa/history.htm or read the "rush at UCSC" thread. The women at UCSC chose "Nu Beta Omicron" as their letters, which stand for "Never Be Ordinary."
Old 07-15-2003, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
By the way GP, do you think the Gamma Phis at my school would think I was nuts if I said, "Hi, Good Flowers Bloom!" every time I saw one?

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-15-2003, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I don't think anyone would have a problem with a group called Eirini meaning peace, or Imani meaning faith, or whatever means the most to your group. It's the apparent use of the letters Sigma Kappa with no meaning behind them, other than they are the name of a national sorority, that people have a problem with.

If your intent as a group is to affiliate with Sig Kap and that is the goal you are working toward, pick another letter as these girls did. http://www.millersv.edu/~kappaphi/hist.html

If you are not sure if you want to affiliate later, choose a neutral name as these girls did http://www.iit.edu/~asa/history.htm or read the "rush at UCSC" thread. The women at UCSC chose "Nu Beta Omicron" as their letters, which stand for "Never Be Ordinary."
For groups wanting to bring a national to campus I always liked Sigma Iota Gamma~ meaning Sorority Interest Group.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by astroAPhi
By the way GP, do you think the Gamma Phis at my school would think I was nuts if I said, "Hi, Good Flowers Bloom!" every time I saw one?
Yes I think so. There was a big article on one of their sisters in our magazine, she was from another country and emigrated here...I can't for the life of me remember her name right now. Christa maybe?

Anyways back on topic, when we were still NMs I always tried to guess what GPB meant and I thought up all this crazy stuff like "Girls Pick Boys" and "Guys Pick Boogers" and that jazz...then realized Phi made the F sound, not P. After that most of the meanings I made up were dirty.

And to get even more back on topic, when my sorority decided to affiliate with an NPC org, we changed our name from Athenaeum Society to Alpha Theta Chi Sorority. (HI AOX81 ) The reason was that we wanted to have Greek letters, thinking it would help in our appeal. Yes, they did have a meaning, and no, I don't know what it was, and if I did, I wouldn't tell you. You'll notice that it has nothing to do with Gamma Phi Beta - something to think about.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to meridionaleDG
Oh my god. I am sorry but I don't see how someone like you can start an organization. It is so hard for people to get things on your head (and I am speaking not only from your posts on greekchat but also in the sororitygirl Live Journal).

I know you got the Erini thing from me, becuase I was tyring to explain how people choose letters that mean something.

You wouldn't actually call your sorority "Erini", you would just use the Sigma letter to represent it. The whole point in using letters in your name is to abbreviate words only YOUR SISTERS will know once initiated.

Tkae my sorority for example. Delta Gamma (DG) is an abbrevation for some certain greek words. Delta Gammas know what the letters stand for and what our name means - but no one else does because it is part of our ritual.

If you go around saying what your letters stand for - then there isn't anything special to your group because everyone will know what your greek letters mean. What is the fun in that?

Please, for the love of all that is holy, research greek organizations a little better before you start your own. It seems like your whole knwoledge of the greek world is like me applying to be a chemical engineer for NASA when I am just a History major.

I know this sounds mean, but you just keep saying the same thing - and we keep trying to explain things to you and nothing is sinking in! Please - go back and reread everything people have told you and sit for a minute. Let it sink in before replying. Infact, just go unplug your keyboard and lock it in your car and use your mouse. Seriously. And I swear if you reply to this with "The sisters of Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi are NOT an NPC sorority" - I am going to scream. You keep repeating things we already know (infact they are things we told you).
Old 07-15-2003, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristin AGD
For groups wanting to bring a national to campus I always liked Sigma Iota Gamma~ meaning Sorority Interest Group.
Is Sigma Iota Gamma copywrited?

If not, could I take that into consideration?
Old 07-15-2003, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAngel126
Quote:
Originally posted by meridionaleDG
Infact, just go unplug your keyboard and lock it in your car and use your mouse. Seriously. And I swear if you reply to this with "The sisters of Sigma Kappa Epsilon Pi are NOT an NPC sorority" - I am going to scream. You keep repeating things we already know (infact they are things we told you).
Girl, you AB-SO-LUTE-LY killll me!! Bwhahahaha!!!