GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,511
0 members and 1,511 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2021, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

GLOs (USA/Canada) brawling fatalities?

I've been working on the Wikipedia pages for some Fraternities in the Philippines. There are several examples within the last 40 years of members of the fraternities being killed in brawls between chapters of the fraternities. Can anyone think of any cases in the US/Canada (preferably post WWII) where the news headline could reasonably accurately read "MMM brother killed in clash between MMM and TPT"?
Old 10-19-2021, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Anecdotally, I may have heard that at OU back in the 1960s, there was a fight between some SAE and Phi Kappa Tau after which the SAE house was burned down under suspicious circumstances.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-19-2021, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Anecdotally, I may have heard that at OU back in the 1960s, there was a fight between some SAE and Phi Kappa Tau after which the SAE house was burned down under suspicious circumstances.
Which school is OU? Ohio University?
Old 10-19-2021, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Oklahoma. I couldn't find anything on it in newspaper archives.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Phil Kappa Tau has never had a chapter at the University of Oklahoma. You may be thinking of some other Phi Kappa ___ fraternity.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think there were any fatalities, but at some point decades ago the Betas at UVa shot flaming arrows at the DU house across the street causing it to catch fire and burn down. The Betas had to give the DU's their house and move off grounds.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVASquirrel View Post
I don't think there were any fatalities, but at some point decades ago the Betas at UVa shot flaming arrows at the DU house across the street causing it to catch fire and burn down. The Betas had to give the DU's their house and move off grounds.
I actually found a reference to this (sort of)
https://issuu.com/betathetapiao/docs...spring_2012/33

Quote...
'Contrary to UVA legend, there were no "flaming arrows" according to one Prominent Beta Alum, DU simply purchased the property after Beta (unrelatedly) lost its charter in 1972'

More on this in the magazine...
Old 10-21-2021, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Phil Kappa Tau has never had a chapter at the University of Oklahoma. You may be thinking of some other Phi Kappa ___ fraternity.
Phi Kappa Sigma. You're right.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
I actually found a reference to this (sort of)
https://issuu.com/betathetapiao/docs...spring_2012/33

Quote...
'Contrary to UVA legend, there were no "flaming arrows" according to one Prominent Beta Alum, DU simply purchased the property after Beta (unrelatedly) lost its charter in 1972'

More on this in the magazine...
That's interesting. The only story I ever heard, from both members of Beta and DU was the flaming arrow story. Urban legend I guess. The DU house did indeed burn down and Beta did lose it's charter and move off grounds. Here's an article from UVa in 2009: https://news.virginia.edu/content/de...house-50-years
Old 10-21-2021, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Speaking of UVa, when I was in school, I was co-editor of our Greek newsletter. One of the stories my co- found was of a pig roast held by a fraternity in the 1970s. I want to say that it was Pika. Anyhow, one brother insisted that he knew all about pig roasts, but sadly, didn't know to disembowel the pig before cooking. After a day of cooking, it got hot enough that the pig exploded, and hot pig flesh went everywhere, including the (then) Jewish house of Alpha Epsilon Phi. Long story short, not only did the pig roast fundraiser fail, but the fraternity had to pay to rabbinically cleanse the AEPhi house next door as well.

I have tried to google this to see if it indeed happened, but never could. It's a funny story, but I still wonder about my co-editor made it up.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

At the University of Illinois, in 1973 or 1974, Kappa Alpha Psi (Beta chapter) had a party at their chapter house, there was a shooting and one member was killed. The chapter was closed down, I do not know if there was a "rival" fraternity involved.