GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,514
0 members and 1,514 guests
No Members online

Old 03-20-2014, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Penn State-Altoona Phi Sigma Kappa Suspended

This is very sad........

"A Penn State Altoona fraternity has been suspended after one of its members committed suicide in New York over spring break, and based on photos and notes on the deceased fraternity brother's phone, his family believes hazing drove him to take his life..........Marquise Braham, an 18-year-old freshman at PSU Altoona, jumped off the Marriott Long Island Hotel in Nassau County, N.Y., on Friday night.
While Nassau County police are investigating Braham's death, Logan Township police are investigating his Penn State Altoona fraternity, Phi Sigma Kappa."

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...r-suicide.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh. I can't believe the fraternity members said this to his father..

Quote:
Braham said his son did not speak much about his fraternity. But the day of his son's death, Marquise's hometown friends told Braham that Marquise had been disturbed by the hazing rituals at the Penn State Altoona fraternity.

"They told me the types of hazing that went on," Braham said.

The day after Marquise's death, some of his frat brothers visited in New York. Braham said he spoke with them outside of his home.

"Everybody liked him," Braham was told.

Braham kept quiet about the information he had about the hazing when the frat brothers visited his home. But he asked the young men in general about hazing.

"'It made him a better man,' they told me," he said.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

So he was the secretary, he wasn't being hazed, he was allegedly doing the hazing and the thing everyone is blaming for driving this kid to suicide wasn't mentioned in his suicide note. Either someone is trying to construct a wrongful death case out of thin air or... wait... I can't even think of an alternative. This article didn't go to any effort to rule out girl troubles/boy troubles/depression... just a hatchet job.

I as always condemn hazing. It's a relic of the past. I equally condemn folks who blame hazing when there's little to no evidence it is the cause of the harm. Sometimes it's a clear cut case, this time, not so much. I don't think the article was fair at all in that regard.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-20-2014, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Wow, my heart goes out to the family, and I am shocked that the fraternity, if their comments are reported correctly, doesn't seem to have learned anything.

That said, mental health issues are very complex, and can rarely be attributed to one cause like this. Drawing a straight line from hazing to suicide does little to improve understanding of either one.

Given the number of people who struggle with mental health issues beginning in the college years, I really wish it was a priority topic for chapter development (or whatever you call your meetings where you learn about stuff). Virtually every campus has resources available, and I'd love to see presentations where these are discussed with members, along with some warning signs that you should keep an eye out for, both in yourself and in peers.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:15 PM

How is it that freshmen get to pledge? Um, it happens at the majority of colleges. How is it that they get leadership positions the semester after initiating? Because there aren't enough other experienced brothers to fill them. I can see this causing all the other groups to rethink if they want to be there ( unless Altoona very quickly gets to where Behrend is and I don't see that happening overnight). Not because of the hazing but because of the unequal class distribution.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
How is it that freshmen get to pledge? Um, it happens at the majority of colleges. How is it that they get leadership positions the semester after initiating? Because there aren't enough other experienced brothers to fill them. I can see this causing all the other groups to rethink if they want to be there ( unless Altoona very quickly gets to where Behrend is and I don't see that happening overnight). Not because of the hazing but because of the unequal class distribution.
I assume (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you're saying more students transfer to the main campus from Altoona than they do from Behrend? I admittedly know very little about Altoona's campus culture and the makeup of the students there, so I'm just guessing that's what you were referring to with "unequal class distribution."

@~/~~~~
Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 PM

Behrend has been 4 years a LOT longer than Altoona has. It's also been "Penn State Erie-The Behrend College" not just Penn State-InsertCityWhereBranchIsHere."

Last edited by 33girl; 03-20-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Behrend has been 4 years a LOT longer than Altoona has. It's also been "Penn State Erie-The Behrend College" not just Penn State-InsertCityWhereBranchIsHere."
Ah, ok. I didn't realize that. I don't really know the history of the other branch campuses.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-21-2014, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree with DBB.

No one can say for sure why someone commits suicide.

The gun thing is harrowing.

How long has Altoona been 4 years?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

On July 1, 1997 the Penn State Altoona Campus became Penn State Altoona, a four-year baccalaureate degree-granting college of the University.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The fraternity will be suspended for 6 years:

http://onwardstate.com/2014/09/22/al...investigation/

@~/~~~~
Old 12-17-2015, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Family Files Lawsuit Against Penn State, Phi Sigma Kappa For Negligence Prior To Son’s Suicide:

http://onwardstate.com/2015/12/17/fa...-sons-suicide/

@~/~~~~
Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 PM

Not that I think they have a case, but this would be interesting regarding the autonomy of branch campuses.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

I couldn't comment on whether they really have a case because I know nothing about the peculiarities of Pennsylvania law. Generally speaking, I think the Plaintiffs are going to have a very difficult time with causation, i.e., proving that hazing was the proximate cause of the suicide.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma