GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,777
0 members and 1,777 guests
No Members online

Old 10-14-2001, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question A Question for Everyone who has ever been a Student

I am an 8th grade teacher, and have "a little thang" going on with another teacher. At first, we were seeing each other totally in secret. Then as the weeks went by, we started being seen with each other, sending notes, blah blah blah. Well, now the kids have caught on and make little jokes every now and then. We've cooled off our behavior at school, but now we've noticed that our principal is acting strange toward us. Question: Are we interfering in the educational process by seeing each other?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-14-2001, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember my eight grade math teacher began dating one of the student teachers. He was a student teacher at my school the year before so there wasn't much of an age difference. However, as students, we caught on real quick. We teased them everyday, but it never interfered with our educational process. They were so darn cute together.

I also have a friend that teaches high school and she became involved with another teacher. When the students found out, everyone else in the school found out, too. Eventually, they ended their relationship, but it wasn't pretty.

Whether or not it is interfering with your students depends on their maturity level. Back in the day when I was in 8th grade, we were singing the "k-i-s-s-i-n-g" song. These days, the kids probably singing another tune.

But if you've noticed a difference in the principal's behavior towards you, then maybe they feel you've crossed the line somewhere. But, Convinced, sending notes in school?! ***AKAtude gets a chuckle out of that one***
Old 10-14-2001, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Hard call

I don't think it effects the children learning. Children will be children and tease everyone. My question is couldn't you keep your relationship out of the school, the sudden passing of notes, possible standing to close in the hall way is a dead giveaway. Why sleep where you eat? You could end of marrying, which would be lovely, but the chances are equal you will break-uop and it will be ugly. Speaking first hand, I married my first husband, and we worked together, the break-up was ugly, people all in your business, I said never again.
Old 10-14-2001, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Soror, I don't even know what to say about this.

I just hope that he isn't married. We had/have a case where a teacher and another colleague are getting it on and ONE of them is MARRIED!

That's a sin and a shame! The kids know it, cause they told some adults. UM UM UM!

Just be careful, cause if things get sticky, you all will have an awkward situation.
Old 10-14-2001, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool discretion

I remind you that there's a time and place for everything. If it's already out; I would suggest yall do yall's thang---outside of yall's place of employment. I know it would be hard to do; but I'd try nevertheless if it was me. Gon and get yall's thang on!
Old 10-15-2001, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Coincidence???

The Steve Harvey Show dealt with this very same topic last night. Steve and Regina continued to be hot and heavy, just more discreet.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember when I was in high school, my foreign language teacher had a baby by the athletic director. Well, a couple years later, he starts messing around with this substitute. I don't know if other students noticed, but we talked about it in our class for the whole period sometimes. Now, some would say that interfered with our educational process. But it didn't, because our ENTIRE conversation had to be in French. Man, that was the BEST class!!! There were only 3 students in the class, so it was intimate. We talked about our relationship issues, too, all in French.

But like Soror AKAtude said, if the PRINCIPAL is acting different, cool out, soror, COOL OUT!!!
Old 10-15-2001, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Discretion

Ditto. Just make sure you're being discreet. At the school that I used to work at, a couple had been dating for about 2 years. Of course, word got around and the two are now married. However, I don't think it interfered in the children's educational process.
Old 10-15-2001, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with everyone in that you should just keep it on the DL. I remember when I was in 1st grade, my teacher started dating this guy (he wasn't a teacher) and he'd always visit our class. Every student in the class knew him and liked him cuz he was a nice guy. Then out the blue they got married and like 5 months later, she had a baby. One day, my mom and I were talking about where babies come from and that type thing and I was like, "Mommy, it's not a big deal. It only takes five months to have a baby!"....She was like, "who told you that??!" and I said, "well that's how long it took Miss Ritchie after she got married." My Mom was like whoa It took me years to catch on to what happened.
Old 10-15-2001, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Exquisite5
In eighth grade my homeroom and english teacher dated my art teacher and they even eventually got married. No one ever teased them, we didn't really even care. Actually, we thought it was gross. However, when they finally got married she left the school, because the principle made one of them leave. But no, we never thought enough of it for it to interfere with education.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation I Wonder Why

Quote:
Originally posted by Exquisite5
However, when they finally got married she left the school, because the principle made one of them leave.
That doesn't seem very fair. There were a few husband and wives that taught at the same schools I attended. I rember my sociology teacher was the husband of my computer class teacher.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: I Wonder Why

Quote:
Originally posted by AKAtude

That doesn't seem very fair. There were a few husband and wives that taught at the same schools I attended. I rember my sociology teacher was the husband of my computer class teacher.

I agree. We had two couples in my elementary school. We all knew but it's wasn't a big thing. Our parents thought it was cute.
Old 10-15-2001, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was in high school, my cheerleading coach was dating the boys' basketball coach. They were both full time faculty members. We caught on quickly to their romance and teased them mercilessly. It was really no big deal, but we were fourteen and had no real love lives of our own and had to live vicariously through the two of them. My coach got a better job the next year and for the money.

There were several flings among the faculty and no one really seemed to care. One of the teachers was extremely open about the fact that she was carrying a baby that was not her husband's. He was also a teacher there. That's was a little too open.

As long as you remain respectful about your relationship, I don't see any problem. I don't think that it would cause any interference with your students' educational process. Actually, when you're in the eighth grade, a particle of dust can interfere with the educational process. So, don't think that your private life is the hindrance that's keeping some kids from learning. If they're not learning, it's probably because they don't want to.