GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 963
0 members and 963 guests
No Members online

Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

discrimination

i have a friend and without giving too much information he has been rejected by several fraternities because he has learning and psychiatric disabilities. they were aware of this because the school is small and because a friend told everyone about this. so my question what can be done? what should be done?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's unsuccessful recruitment. However, fraternities and sororities, as private organizations, can choose new members based on any criteria they wish. Also, as membership selection is private, there is no way to challenge it.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand that they are private but I guess my question was more regarding their operations since they go through multiple universities, they operate in multiple states so i guess what i am wondering is can they do that?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225 View Post
I understand that they are private but I guess my question was more regarding their operations since they go through multiple universities, they operate in multiple states so i guess what i am wondering is can they do that?
Being a private organization has nothing to do with operating in multiple states.

You have no idea why your friend wasn't given a bid. Maybe his disability has zero to do with it and he's just a douche.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Being a private organization has nothing to do with operating in multiple states.

You have no idea why your friend wasn't given a bid. Maybe his disability has zero to do with it and he's just a douche.
when i am talking about operating in multiple states is that federal rules prohibit discrimination regardless if it is public or private organization.

well i wouldn't know but they written it in a letter and signed it. so my question what to do with it?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM

why would you do anything with it? It's not your problem, it's your friend's problem.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
when i am talking about operating in multiple states is that federal rules prohibit discrimination regardless if it is public or private organization.
I don't believe that any such law applies to membership selection in private social organizations.Anyway, why would your friend want to join a group that clearly didn't want him?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As a private organization, we are able to have certain criteria for membership. Sadly, I am not up to date on the exact law/bylaws/whatever it is that allows us to have our criteria, but if we were unprotected, we would be sued all over the place by being single sex organizations. It is most likely the same reason why I can't be a freemason.

ETA: GC lawyers/people who know more than me, is this Freedom of Association, Freedom of Assembly, or something similar?

Quote:
well i wouldn't know but they written it in a letter and signed it. so my question what to do with it?
First: Well I wouldn't know, but they wrote it in a letter and signed it. My question is: what to do about the situation which I deem discriminatory?

I fixed it for you. As has already been replied, it is not discriminatory. Organizations have membership criteria that they follow. Secondly, I have never heard of an organization that sends letters explaining their reasons for not giving a bid. I'm not saying you are lying, I'm just saying "Who the Hell does that?!?!?" Anyone heard of this before?

As for what to do: Well, the situation sucks. Rejection really does suck and it's normal to be upset up to a point. However, at your small school does your friend really want to be known for suing an organization who decided against your friend joining? Perhaps if your friend really does have problems, he should see a counselor and focus on his treatment and schoolwork instead of going after this fraternity.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 01-11-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My friend has been there a lot for me and for many people, he doesn't have a lot of friends because no one really accepts him as a result of the disability.

I get that it is a private organization but by that logic seems that they can discriminate on anything? In other words can fraternities say that do not want any african americans in their group?

Why they rejected him? I cannot tell you why.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Good grief.

Your question has been answered. We don't know why "your friend" was rejected. There's nothing you can do.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Banned

Neither you nor your "friend" know the reason(s) he did not receive a bid. That he did not receive a bid from multiple fraternities indicates there was a consistent uncertainty about his fitness as a member, for whatever reason.

No one can force a private organization to admit any member nor can they force a private organization to reveal their selection process or reasons for declining someone's membership. If this is bothering your "friend" so much, it's probably time for a visit to student health to discuss his feelings. No amount of questioning strangers on the internet, appealing to the fraternities involved or threats of legal action are going to change his non-member status.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Neither you nor your "friend" know the reason(s) he did not receive a bid. That he did not receive a bid from multiple fraternities indicates there was a consistent uncertainty about his fitness as a member, for whatever reason.

No one can force a private organization to admit any member nor can they force a private organization to reveal their selection process or reasons for declining someone's membership. If this is bothering your "friend" so much, it's probably time for a visit to student health to discuss his feelings. No amount of questioning strangers on the internet, appealing to the fraternities involved or threats of legal action are going to change his non-member status.
Right no one knows the reasons, except for the letter written by one of the fraternities in an attempt to be cruel?

My question bore on the level of what to do.

There is some level of personal and emotional vestment coming in these responses. is there some personal fear of anyone with a learning disability being admitted in your fraternity or sorority?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Right no one knows the reasons, except for the letter written by one of the fraternities in an attempt to be cruel?

There is some level of personal and emotional vestment coming in these responses. is there some personal fear of anyone with a learning disability being admitted in your fraternity or sorority?
As are in the questions...
Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysammy225
If we told you that disabilities were scary, gross things and we have never let anyone who has disabilities into our Greek systems, and we never ever EVER will, would that satisfy you? It really seems like that's what you're fishing for.

Everyone has already answered your questions adequately and, I think, rather politely considering your attitude. You're trying to pick fights. We had nothing to do with you/your friend being rejected. Your beef is not with us. Sorry if you don't like the answers provided.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

No one here believes a fraternity would send a letter like this. It isn't done unless you have some kind of local doing their own thing there. The only letter I can see someone sending you is a cease and desist if you're being even 10% as annoying, repetitive and obtuse as you are being here. It certainly isn't rush season and hasn't been for a while, so this shows me you've been pursuing this for quite some time. Not healthy or productive for you, and yeah, I don't think there's any friend involved either.

What to do? See a mental health professional stat. Obsessing about this is not healthy.