GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,553
1 members and 1,552 guests
naraht

Old 04-30-2003, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Question for ALL: Why should we not download songs or buy bootleg?

I read an article this morning regarding online piracy. So, I got to thinking about why we should NOT trade songs online or for that matter, buy bootleg copies of DVDs, songs etc. What's so bad about it?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../media_riaa_dc

I'm playing devil's advocate.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

While I do download songs, I also buy CDs...

I listen to many "lesser known" bands, and one of the reasons that I DO go out and buy their CDs instead of downloading and burning them is that even though they might not be making a lot of $ of my one sale (I remember reading that the artist makes 10 cents off of each CD sold), the executives of their record label will see that people do like this band and they're worth keeping around. I just feel like I'm supporting smaller bands when I go out and buy their CD, even if they're not making bank off me.

I often download several songs by a band if I've never heard of them just to make sure their CD is worth going out and buying. Maybe this is why the RIAA sees that record sales are slipping- because people are seeing the CD ISN'T worth buying and so they hold on to the 1 song they like on their computer.

I think (get ready for a generalization here) that big music fans and the musically conscious will continue to buy CDs, and those who aren't musically conscious will keep downloading top 40 songs onto their computer, but in my view the top 40 artists don't need record sales anyway.

whew.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovelyivy84
I think that's a question that older music listeners ask.

THe younger generation seems to take it as a God-given right. Music is free, I mean they give it away on the radio, right?

I like digital music as a medium. I like being able to dl 170 songs and mix and play them as I wish. IT's convenient. I do download music for that reason and also because I am a brooooke person, lol.

BUt I also think that there needs to be some form of artist compensation. THe present business model for the music industry doesn't necessarily do great when it comes to rewarding the artist either (think: there is only ONE Whitney, ONE Mariah, but millions who can barely pay their bills) but that doesn't make downloading right.

At this point though, attempts to shut down Kazaa and other sharing programs are kinda pointless. The nerds will always win (need evidence- look at what they did to Madonna's website). You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

No easy answers.
It may be said with rough accuracy that there are three stages in the life of a strong people. First, it is a small power, and fights small powers. Then it is a great power, and fights great powers. Then it is a great power, and fights small powers, but pretends that they are great powers, in order to rekindle the ashes of its ancient emotion and vanity.-- G.K. Chesterton
Old 04-30-2003, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lovelyivy84
I think that's a question that older music listeners ask.

THe younger generation seems to take it as a God-given right. Music is free, I mean they give it away on the radio, right?

I like digital music as a medium. I like being able to dl 170 songs and mix and play them as I wish. IT's convenient. I do download music for that reason and also because I am a brooooke person, lol.

BUt I also think that there needs to be some form of artist compensation. THe present business model for the music industry doesn't necessarily do great when it comes to rewarding the artist either (think: there is only ONE Whitney, ONE Mariah, but millions who can barely pay their bills) but that doesn't make downloading right.

At this point though, attempts to shut down Kazaa and other sharing programs are kinda pointless. The nerds will always win (need evidence- look at what they did to Madonna's website). You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

No easy answers.
What did they do to Madonna's website?
Old 04-30-2003, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimmie1913
What did they do to Madonna's website?
Before the release of her latest album, Madonna flooded Kazaa w/ copies of songs from the album, that, when played, were actuallya recording of Madonna saying "What the F--- do you think you are doing."

In response, someone hacked her website and uploaded CD-quality mp3s of the actual songs for anyone to download.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

In regards to the topic, a few things need to be made clear before one can begin to discuss how mp3s affect record sales, if at all.

1) A portion of the sales from ALL CD-Rs, CD-Rws, and CD-Rewrittable drives sold in the US is collected in a fund that is supposed to go to the record industry to help offset any loss evenue due to burning and downloading. As of this date, none of the money has been released by the government. Why? If the artists are so deparate for compensation have they not received a legally collected tax? Because artist compensation is not the issue.

2) Large artists such as Britney Spears, 'NSync, and other top Pop artists still sell platinum albums, so, what are they complaining about? Or, are they truly complaining at all?

3) No artists will EVER make more from CD sales than from tour dates. So, if you think you are doing them a favor by purchasing a CD that others would rather D-Load, then you are wrong. You do the artists a large disservice by never attending a concert than d-loading a song. But, since the artists are employees of the record companies, they would have you believe differently. Even a very successful artist cannot live on record sales alone.

4) Has anyone ever asked how a full, fininshed album can make it to the NET a full month BEFORE it is released in stores? The record companies routinely give away the full albums--- and not just to radio and DJs. With such carelessness, is there any real sincerity in preventing the pre-release of albums?

Basically, I feel that good musicians need to be supported on all levels-- CD sales, Tour Dates, radio and video requests. And what makes an artist "good" needs to be determined by the consumer.

The issue is NOT artist compensation. It's about who has control over the industry, trends, etc. and the record companies cannot stand the fact that consumers are more informed and empowered than they have ever been. Instead of trying to corral and control consumers, give us better reasons to buy, i.e., better music and better artists to support. The sloppiness and laziness w/i the industry has caused the explosion of burning and d-loading, not geeks and nerds with time on their hands.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it's all fair game and it keeps the artists humble. I mean seriously do they really expect Joe Broke to empathize with their record sales and money making potential when they see them rapping or singing about their "bling bling"? What you put out there is what you are going to get back.
I dunno. ya know.?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I will continue to download my music with no feelings of shame until artists start putting out CDs with decent songs. I began burning my CDs because I got sic and tired of paying $12.99-$18.99 for a CD that only had 2 good songs on it, while the other songs were just a hot mess! Shoot, even CD singles run $4.99-$8.99. That too much IMO to pay for just one song.

I still buy CDs only if I like the majority of their material (i.e. Jill Scott, India Irie's first CD, etc.). But for the most part, I download.....and honestly, I really don't care if Britney Spears, Madonnna or Missy Elliot feels like I am depriving them of yet another Mercedes for the summer home in Beverly Hills.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
My music isn't available

I'm not a downloader. I suspect that the music I like (mainstream jazz re-released on expensive Japanese import CD's) isn't available in cyberspace. So I pony up $20 or so per CD. Easy to do when you don't have kids, a husband, a mortgage, etc.

Just got this:

Last edited by Steeltrap; 05-01-2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Question for ALL: Why should we not download songs or buy bootleg?

Quote:
Originally posted by REIKI
If your (plural/general) livlihood was based on the sale of your goods, and every good that was pirated cut into your ability to make a living, the answer would be most obvious. Just because a very small percentage of music artists are in a higher income bracket than the average person, does not mean that a bootlegged cd here or there and a illegal download here and there doesn't directly impact their ability to earn the money they deserve for the work they put into creating that music product. If say for instance you were a car salesman, and every time someone wanted to purchase a car from you, I came along and handed them a business card for my dealership where I have program (slightly used) cars that look just as new for a better price, and caused you to loose customers, eventually you would feel the pinch in your pocket. It is the same logic with bootlegging, and sadly it is the newer artists who don't have money to begin with that feel it the most. Just because you see an artist in a video, getting pumped by P.R. people, and performing, doesn't mean they have made much if any money yet. I believe Mary J. was still living in the "ghetto" when her first single was getting major rotation on the radio and doing well on the charts. It really hurts the artist more than the record companies even because they take in a larger share of record profits than than the artist. Then you have to consider publisher, writer, producer, arranger shares. By the time you get down to the artist, you are really lucky if you are taking in .50-75 cents on the dollar per album.

REKI is right... you will be surprised how much an artist REALLY gets per CD sale. I wish I had a transcript of the recording that Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes made for VH-1's "Behind the Music" because she accurately breaks down how this industry works. I myself being in the publishing industry, I can testify that there are stiking similarities in the operations of the companies in these two industries.

I can go on and on and on about how downloading is wrong and it hurts the artist but I would be waisting my time. Downloading doesn't just hurt the artist that sings the song, but the songwriters as well. They get the smallest piece of the pie and they have to write for "several" artists in order to claim to make a decent living from it. To put another spin on it, all contributors to an album share 3% of the retail price of an album... can you imagine spliting 54 cents with as many as twenty people. Then is the song(s) contain a sample, then a select few (we'll say seven) get 40 cents while the majority (thirteen people) are stuck sharing 10 cents.

Something to think about.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm broke and I can't afford to buy all of the CDs that I want to hear. I will continue to download music from Kazaa until it gets shut down. When it does, I'll just find the next new thing and download music from that site as well. Call it what you want, but I don't plan on stopping any time soon.

All of these artists are on television commercials and TRL and 106 & Park telling people to stop downloading music from the net. A few weeks ago, B2K actually said that some artists won't be able to keep recording because piracy is hurting them so much. That's a bunch of bull. Platinum artists are still going to be platinum artists regardless of how many times their new single is downloaded and people whose record went double wood are still going have albums that didn't sell.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

They can jump in the lake with all that "taking food out of my kids' mouth" garbage!! What's with all that nonsense? They can walk around with platinum and ice, while I still rock silver. They drive custom-made Bentleys and Hummer, while I am whipping my Hyundai. They floss out on MTV cribs, while I am living in an apartment. The list of comparisons are endless....

Look, I have heard that sad song about how little artists make, considering the "points," ways it is split, etc. However, I don't buy it. Left Eye and TLC admitted that they made BAD DEALS. Just like Foxy Brown is crying about her deal now, they all have the opportunity to read their contracts. But NOOOOOOO..... In the haste to live the glamourous life, they sign the dotted line and get bent over in the long run.

Like Honeykiss said, I got tired of spending my HARD earned money on CDs that are HORRIBLE. I should be able to rock the CD from beginning to end. I download songs everyday, all day and I will continue to do so.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I will continue to download my favorites because I get so sick and tired of buying cd's with only 1 or 2 good songs on them. I only buy the actual cd's of Mary J. Blige, and Whitney Houston. Maybe 2 or 3 others but I can't remember. But the rest of the artist I'll be hearing through means of downloading.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: So close to the city of Big Shoulders, that I can almost taste it
I have a husband, a daughter, a mortgage and no job, but I have never downloaded from the net.

If I like an artist's prior work, I'll take a chance and buy the newest CD. It's what I've always done, since I was 12 years old, and spending my birthday money on New Edition cassettes. I find it easy to rationalize that if a CD has 10 songs, at least 3 of them should be good. If it has 12 songs, four to five of them should be good.

I can't think of one artist off the top of my head who has a CD where every single song is good...including Jill Scott (What in the world was she talking about on Honey Molasses), and even my future husband, Nas. It will never be MY reality to like every song on a CD. My tastes run the gamut a little too much.

Besides, I kinda feel like it's a "trip" to rationalize theft. Call downloading what you want to call it, but it's theft. People are "taking" what they are supposed to be "paying" for... theft.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess I could go on and on about this "syndrome" of just because its on Kazaa or whatever I am going to download it, but it is no better than me buying a Greekletter shirt because it's there nor does it make it right because I paid for it.

To be honest with ya'll, even the best recording or publishing contract is not structured benefit the artist. One of the key points that is not being discussed is that these $1, $2, $50 and $100 million advances that you are reading about are actually LOANS that have to be paid back in the record sells. The record company LOANS artists money to record their album, to shoot their videos, to do whatever it is they need to do to take care of themselves. Then when the CD comes out, they begin making payments on that LOAN until they pay their advance back, then they collect royalties.

In the songwriters case, most of the real money doesn't come until at least two years AFTER the album or single comes out (assuming that their song was selected for the album and released). First the record companies collect money off of each CD sold. Then they pay one of four publishing houses (ASCAP, which I am in the process of becoming a member of; BMI; PMI or SESAC) about two to four times a year (depending on the firm and contract between that house and record company). The first payment can take anywhere between 3 to 6 months after the CD comes out (remember the record company has to collect the money first). Then the publishing houses pay the publishing companies, which can take anywhere between 3 to 6 months (cause they have to collect the money too). The publishing company then pays the songwriter (or his/her representative), which again can take anywhere between 3 to 6 months. Now lets say that I wrote "So Gone" for Monica and that was one of the only songs I was actually collecting revenue from. "So Gone" was officially released March 24th. If I follow the process of waiting until Monica's album came out (After the Storm, June 17th, 2003), then it would be about February to May 2004 before I see any kind of earnings for the song "So Gone"

There is more to this actually, but I don't feel like writing this type of book for ya'll. But trust me, the artist are the ones who get hurt IN THE END when you burn an album from the CD and not pay for it. I guess I sympathize with the artists on this issue... partly because I am one.