GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,413
2 members and 1,411 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 09-27-2015, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

New chapter

To anyone who can help!!

Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been posted a million times so I'm sorry to annoy you. If these questions have been answered on here before can you please direct me to those threads. Anyway, I'm looking to start a new fraternity here on my campus (Princeton University) and I have reached out to a few national organizations who have expressed interest in my proposal. One thing I'm not clear about is the time it will require and the process that will follow. (I know it's a different process for different nationals but generally speaking here) I have a group of about 15 guys (frats are not that big on my campus, generally in the range of 25-40 kids). I know it would take time building a 'brotherhood' bond between the 15 of us and recruiting for our next PC but what else would I have to do... (there aren't many frats on this campus so there is definite growth potential, filling a PC shouldn't be too hard)

If anyone can shed light on the process, time commitment, etc. it would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

You answered your own question, though - it truly does depend on the fraternity. I am an alum of Georgetown and there have been fraternities slowly added ever since AEPi in 2002 (I think there are four now). It seems to me that some groups are pop-ups and colonize quickly, but others could take a year and a half to two years from initial interest to chartering. Not only could it depend on the organizations themselves, but factors like whether you have enough committed guys, whether the school supports it, whether the campus culture supports you guys, etc.

Above all else, I hope that you are choosing the fraternity that is the right fit for your group and will offer you what you're looking for -- as well as a fraternity that you can be proud to serve as an undergraduate and as an alumnus. If it only takes a semester, that would be nice, but certainly shouldn't be the deciding factor.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allday12 View Post
To anyone who can help!!

Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been posted a million times so I'm sorry to annoy you. If these questions have been answered on here before can you please direct me to those threads. Anyway, I'm looking to start a new fraternity here on my campus (Princeton University) and I have reached out to a few national organizations who have expressed interest in my proposal. One thing I'm not clear about is the time it will require and the process that will follow. (I know it's a different process for different nationals but generally speaking here) I have a group of about 15 guys (frats are not that big on my campus, generally in the range of 25-40 kids). I know it would take time building a 'brotherhood' bond between the 15 of us and recruiting for our next PC but what else would I have to do... (there aren't many frats on this campus so there is definite growth potential, filling a PC shouldn't be too hard)

If anyone can shed light on the process, time commitment, etc. it would be greatly appreciated!!
I hope that you are fully aware of the sentiment toward Greek organizations at Princeton. Freshmen are prohibited by the University from rushing or joining any sorority or fraternity. No matter how prestigious the campus may be, I cannot imagine a Greek organization would be very interested in going into such a hostile environment. It is also pretty clear that the Princeton administration would not welcome more Greek organizations.

Fraternities and Sororities at Princeton
Old 09-27-2015, 10:52 PM

Princeton's pledge classes have continued to increase over the years in spite of the university's ridiculous views. Not to mention the intelligent and affluent student body. I'm sure there are multiple national fraternities who would be happy to have a chapter there. The non-involvement of the university also means that the national organization can run the colony as they see fit without any school administration horning in.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I hope that you are fully aware of the sentiment toward Greek organizations at Princeton. Freshmen are prohibited by the University from rushing or joining any sorority or fraternity. No matter how prestigious the campus may be, I cannot imagine a Greek organization would be very interested in going into such a hostile environment. It is also pretty clear that the Princeton administration would not welcome more Greek organizations.

Fraternities and Sororities at Princeton
Uh, I think you're wrong. There are already multiple Greek organizations here, some of them fairly recent. The University doesn't welcome or prohibit fraternities, they simply don't recognize frats and thus have no power over what the students do.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
You answered your own question, though - it truly does depend on the fraternity. I am an alum of Georgetown and there have been fraternities slowly added ever since AEPi in 2002 (I think there are four now). It seems to me that some groups are pop-ups and colonize quickly, but others could take a year and a half to two years from initial interest to chartering. Not only could it depend on the organizations themselves, but factors like whether you have enough committed guys, whether the school supports it, whether the campus culture supports you guys, etc.

Above all else, I hope that you are choosing the fraternity that is the right fit for your group and will offer you what you're looking for -- as well as a fraternity that you can be proud to serve as an undergraduate and as an alumnus. If it only takes a semester, that would be nice, but certainly shouldn't be the deciding factor.
Thanks for the insight. What exactly do you mean by "right fit for your group..." Or to put it more clearly, if any national fraternity sponsors my group would it not be up to the discretion of my group what and how we perform/accomplish. (How does having one group or another fundamentally change what our vision is for our chapter?) Can you give me an example or two of different fraternal organizations and how they effect groups differently?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. What exactly do you mean by "right fit for your group..." Or to put it more clearly, if any national fraternity sponsors my group would it not be up to the discretion of my group what and how we perform/accomplish. (How does having one group or another fundamentally change what our vision is for our chapter?) Can you give me an example or two of different fraternal organizations and how they effect groups differently?
I don't have examples for you but when you're a chapter of a National fraternity it's not "your" chapter. It's the National's chapter. So it would not be about the local members vision but the National's vision.

You'll want to research the different groups that have expressed interest and ask them questions to see if they're in alignment with you & your brothers.

The common analogy is a franchise. The local McDonalds franchisee does not get to put his own spin on the McDonalds concept.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I sent you a PM, Allday.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
I don't have examples for you but when you're a chapter of a National fraternity it's not "your" chapter. It's the National's chapter. So it would not be about the local members vision but the National's vision.

You'll want to research the different groups that have expressed interest and ask them questions to see if they're in alignment with you & your brothers.

The common analogy is a franchise. The local McDonalds franchisee does not get to put his own spin on the McDonalds concept.

^^^ That is pretty much what I mean.

Alpha Tau Omega, for example, brands itself as a leadership fraternity, while Pi Lambda Phi's brand is all about being nonsectarian. While you surely could have many interests and be in one or the other, if you are not the kind of guys who are extraordinarily ambitious, ATO might not be the right fit. If your group is racially, culturally, and religiously homogeneous, Pi Lambda Phi might not be the right fit.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Uh, I think you're wrong. There are already multiple Greek organizations here, some of them fairly recent. The University doesn't welcome or prohibit fraternities, they simply don't recognize frats and thus have no power over what the students do.
Yes, the University has quite a bit of power over what the students do in regards to fraternities and sororities. For instance, freshmen are not allowed to rush, pledge or attend any party hosted by a fraternity/ sorority.

The article cited states:

"In our deliberations we acknowledged the incompatibility of a fully developed Greek system with the social structure that has evolved at Princeton over more than 150 years and the awkwardness of the partial system that has grown up over the past 25 years."

Of course, I understand that many GLOs still exist at Princeton, including my own.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Yes, the University has quite a bit of power over what the students do in regards to fraternities and sororities. For instance, freshmen are not allowed to rush, pledge or attend any party hosted by a fraternity/ sorority.

The article cited states:

"In our deliberations we acknowledged the incompatibility of a fully developed Greek system with the social structure that has evolved at Princeton over more than 150 years and the awkwardness of the partial system that has grown up over the past 25 years."

Of course, I understand that many GLOs still exist at Princeton, including my own.
I don't understand this. If these organizations are off-campus and not recognized by the university then how does the university have power to forbid freshmen from membership? I would also argue that forbidding freshmen from going simply increases the allure of doing that forbidden thing but that is a different kettle of fish.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:50 PM

They don't.

That article isn't policy of any sort, it's a study with a recommendation. They could also do a study that says Forever 21 clothes are crappily made and they recommend people don't buy them, and it would have the same amount of weight.

Even if freshmen were "disallowed" from joining an organization that has nothing to do with the school, all they have to do is exercise discretion and keep their mouths shut.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-29-2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-29-2015, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I mean, TECHNICALLY from a higher ed perspective, if they really wanted to enforce freshmen joining and found out about it, the student code of conduct or honor code there could probably be applied to hold a student accountable.

But if I were the student conduct staff member who had to take time away from more important conduct cases to manage this, I probably wouldn't be too pleased.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmaceli View Post
I mean, TECHNICALLY from a higher ed perspective, if they really wanted to enforce freshmen joining and found out about it, the student code of conduct or honor code there could probably be applied to hold a student accountable.

But if I were the student conduct staff member who had to take time away from more important conduct cases to manage this, I probably wouldn't be too pleased.
Not to mention if I were the parent or student who had to pay an increased tuition because they hired extra people to manage it.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Sure, that Code of Conduct that every Princeton student is required to adhere to can just be ignored.... no big deal. Except maybe for this....

Prohibited Activities
Freshmen may not affiliate with a fraternity or sorority. Affiliation includes but is not limited to: membership; "pledging" (i.e., participating in new member programming); participating in "rush" (i.e., formal recruitment); attending or participating in any activity sponsored by a fraternity or sorority; or contributing funds to a fraternity or sorority.

Any violation of this policy will be regarded as a serious matter. A student who engages in solicitation, as defined above, should expect to be suspended. A freshman who joins, pledges, or rushes a fraternity or sorority should expect to be suspended. A freshman who attends or participates in any other activity or event sponsored by a fraternity or sorority may be subject to a lesser penalty (e.g., disciplinary probation). All relevant facts and circumstances will be taken into account in determining the appropriate penalty.

http://www.princeton.edu/pub/rrr/part2/index.xml#comp22