GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Omega Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,524
2 members and 1,522 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 06-27-2014, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Small Chapter - Hosting a Formal?

Hey y'all!
I'm the new president of our newest chapter the (unfortunately named) BO Chapter at Rutgers University!
Now, we're a pretty small chapter (16 actives starting this fall) but we're really interested in hosting a formal or a semi-formal. We have no idea how to start the process however. I would love to hear your advice!

xoxo
Eva
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2014, 01:00 PM

My chapter of Alpha Phi Omega was Omega Mu (right when Revenge of the Nerds came out) so I feel your pain.

One year a lot of our sisters couldn't attend a Christmas semiformal for one reason or another, we only had about 16 who could go, so the people who were going got dressed up and went to dinner at the nicest restaurant in town and then we had a small party at our house. You might want to do something similar rather than fussing with a DJ and such. It was actually a really nice classy evening.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Many nice restaurants have a private room that can be reserved for a small fee or the guarantee of a certain food and drink total. You can usually decorate the room and even have a DJ or have someone make a good iTunes playlist to play. You could pull this off pretty reasonably.

Also, if there is a rental hall in the area, ask if certain days of the week are cheaper. You might be able to get a good deal on Thursday or Sunday nights which are not traditionally busy. A local high school in my area has a big dance in a very nice reception venue on a Sunday night because they are able to really stretch their budget.

Last edited by IndianaSigKap; 06-28-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
My chapter of Alpha Phi Omega was Omega Mu (right when Revenge of the Nerds came out) so I feel your pain.

One year a lot of our sisters couldn't attend a Christmas semiformal for one reason or another, we only had about 16 who could go, so the people who were going got dressed up and went to dinner at the nicest restaurant in town and then we had a small party at our house. You might want to do something similar rather than fussing with a DJ and such. It was actually a really nice classy evening.
That sounds like a really nice option!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

We had a Founder's Day Formal my first year as a Beta and because our chapter was so small, we had a dinner at a nice restaurant close to campus. It worked out beautifully!