GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,023
2 members and 1,021 guests
AOIIalum, zsamulpitt5293

Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
plus, it gives some folks something to gripe about.
lol
I'm an inbetweener. I've read a few, but it went from one at a time to a dozen. It's not special or important when everyone's doing it all at once.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

retro threads

I'm really loving these threads. My daughters just went through rush, I have a hard time calling it recruitment, and I just found my ZTA scrapbook which had been packed in my parents attic. I was looking my party schedule. They did have computers back then, just not PCs. My kids have a hard time believing that I wrote papers with a typewriter and didn't have a microwave ( were not invented) in my dorm room!
I don't remember all of those really interesting party details though...like some of you have. Keep bringing them on!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
lol
I'm an inbetweener. I've read a few, but it went from one at a time to a dozen. It's not special or important when everyone's doing it all at once.
I do agree that it was better when they went one at a time.
I have a hard time following them without a score card sometimes for the code names anyway.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
lol
That would be my only complaint. I think the trend will probably fizzle before recruitment season begins, which is unfortunate, because that's kind of the reason this started in the first place, to give us something to "hold us over".
Old 06-19-2007, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

NutBrnHair! NutBrnHair! NutBrnHair!

It would be one thing if the retro recruitment threads were the same old "I went to 15 parties, the girls were sooooooo pretty and they sang a cute song and the next day I got cut by my favorite ice cream flavor but I did get asked back to Cookie Dough, then I went to prefs were there were lots of candles and crying and on bid day I was so nervous when I opened my envelope but I got a bid from Cookie Dough which is (scroll way down to bottom of page) ALPHA BETA GAMMA!" but most of these retro recruitment threads are really different. Most of them are more entertaining than the current recruitment threads. And like a previous poster said, if you don't like them, don't read them.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

I agree, sister!

NutBrnHair!NutBrnHair!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Nutbrwnhair! Nutbrwnhair! Nutbrwnhair! Nutbrwnhair! Nutbrwnhair! Nutbrwnhair! Nutbrwnhair! Nutbrwnhair!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Nutbrwnhair

<starting a slow clap to accompany the chant>

Nutbrwnhair
Old 06-19-2007, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelove View Post
NutBrnHair! NutBrnHair! NutBrnHair!

It would be one thing if the retro recruitment threads were the same old "I went to 15 parties, the girls were sooooooo pretty and they sang a cute song and the next day I got cut by my favorite ice cream flavor but I did get asked back to Cookie Dough, then I went to prefs were there were lots of candles and crying and on bid day I was so nervous when I opened my envelope but I got a bid from Cookie Dough which is (scroll way down to bottom of page) ALPHA BETA GAMMA!" but most of these retro recruitment threads are really different. Most of them are more entertaining than the current recruitment threads. And like a previous poster said, if you don't like them, don't read them.
I'm with you on this. I'd say that almost with exception the retro-recruitment threads have been outstanding and very well written, and they've all been as good or better than the real time threads.

ETA: Oh, yeah, Nutbrwnhair <clap>
Old 06-19-2007, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Y'all are cracking me up!

I have always felt that I have a good memory; however, there are many things about fall rush in 1979 I have forgotten! I'll do my best to scratch up some details and post my first installment later today!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

hooray!!
Old 06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Here we go!

The year was 1979. A sweet young Southern girl named Nut, from a small Tennessee city, arrived at the middle Georgia campus of Topia University (Utopia, for short). She was an only child, but her best friend since the age of four was her roommate. Two other girls from Nut’s high school class also were members of the freshman class. Topia was a 4,000 student school affiliated with the Baptist church, but the Greek system seemed to be an integral part of the campus scene.

There were four NPC groups on campus:

Ruby
Sapphire
Pearl
Emerald

Nut and her best friend Carol began to move into their first floor un-air-conditioned dorm room with the assistance of their parents. A friendly upperclassman named Susan wearing her sorority jersey (Ruby) helped carry the suitcases to the room.

The freshman class gathered in the Chapel for a general meeting before being divided into Orientation Groups. The Panhellenic President spoke about signing up for sorority Rush. Nut, Carol and their other 2 high school friends Kay & Holly were all looking forward to Rush. Holly’s mother had been a member of the Ruby sorority when she was in school, but none of the other 3 was a legacy.

All of the freshmen were divided into 30 person groups led by an OA (Orientation Assistant). Nut’s OA was a Junior and was a member of the Sapphire sorority. She seemed very mature and worldly to Nut.

All four registered for Rush at the Student Center. The Rush Counselors, Panhellenic Officers and RAs (Resident Advisors) were the only women who had to disaffiliate with their sororities during Rush. Silence was not enacted until Pref Round. There was, of course, a rule prohibiting sorority women from spending any money or giving gifts to the rushees.

Nut was already familiar with the names of three of the groups (Ruby, Sapphire & Pearl). Most of the girls from Nut’s high school joined sororities and she remembered seeing the young alumnae return to campus with pledge pins and sorority badges. Nut’s mother had friends who secured recommendations for at least one of the groups.

Rush was held in a Panhellenic building – an old Victorian home that had been converted to four suites for the NPC groups. During the first round of Rush, the two NPHC groups on campus, Delta Sigma Theta and Alpha Kappa Alpha made a presentation to all of the rushees explaining their structure and their intake process.

The first round of parties seemed to fly by – seems like we all wore sundresses and espadrilles and were greeted in each suite by singing and clapping! I do recall that the Emerald group all dressed in gauchos and had one member dressed up as their mascot! The suites were crowded and the small window air conditioners couldn’t keep up. All of the suites were nicely decorated. Nut noticed that each group’s décor matched the colors of their organization. All of the songs were catchy and we returned to the dorm very excited, because Rush was finally underway.

Last edited by NutBrnHair; 06-19-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
arrived at the middle Georgia campus of Topia University (Utopia, for short).
That made me groan. Loudly. Although I have to say Mr. sherbertlemons would definitely approve of that joke!

Quote:
The first round of parties seemed to fly by – seems like we all wore sundresses and espadrilles and were greeted in each suite by singing and clapping!
Proof positive that my mother should have saved all her clothing for me! I love espadrilles!

Would you consider listing the groups that existed at Utopia?

THanks for posting your story!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
There were four NPC groups on campus:

Ruby
Sapphire
Pearl
Emerald

I do recall that the Garnet group ....

Garnet?? where'd Garnet come from ... ???
Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
Garnet?? where'd Garnet come from ... ???
Ooops...I meant Emerald! Thanks.