GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,447
0 members and 1,447 guests
No Members online

Old 12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never encountered this. Is it annoying with everyone typing while you are trying to listen to the professor?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-13-2004, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by epsilon99
I've never encountered this. Is it annoying with everyone typing while you are trying to listen to the professor?
Most laptops are equipped with quiet keys.

I've noticed some students just recently bringing laptops to class. Mostly to take notes. However, there are those who just instant message their friends all through lecture.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I took mine to history every day. It really helped a lot... Like was said earlier, I doodled a lot less (though I still daydreamt a little). We only had about 3 people in that class to have them, though. Most of our school is not on wireless yet, or else you have to have the code to get on it (in the business building, at least) so IMing wasn't a problem. One of the guys did sit with his headphones and listen to music the whole time (why the teacher let him, I do not know!)
Old 12-16-2004, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Laptops in the classroom

Quote:
Originally posted by AznSAE
are they allowed in your classes? they are at my school and just about everyone is either playing games, checking email, or instant messaging their friends. there are a few who actually take notes
They were allowed my senior year (thats when we went wireless). I took notes, but during down times I definately imed, emailed, etc etc. oh well. I still learned...and because I was a fast typer, my notes were much better than if I hand wrote them!
Old 12-28-2004, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I've used my laptop to take notes in some classes.

In my Curriculum Instruction courses we often do smallgroup work, so it's convenient to type the notes for the group and email them to everyone.
One of my Pol Sci professors loves to switch overheads before anyone can get through copying down the info and doesnt review much of what he said, so I type notes there since I type faster than I can write.

Having a laptop is good for providing evidence when I've corrected instructors. Instant access to the data you need rocks.
That and there are days where it feels like I'm ADD or something- so having a background IM conversation during class keeps me sane.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by epsilon99
Is it annoying with everyone typing while you are trying to listen to the professor?
It's not the keyboard keys that are annoying...it's women with long-claw like talons that make that "clicky clicky" sound (like a dog on a linoleum floor) which is annoying.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
I don't know about my undergrad school, but my high school doesn't allow IM-ing during classes. A girl was suspended a few years back after being caught instant messaging.
I went to a laptop middle/high school that didn't allow IM-ing during class... many still did though. They didn't get suspended! Sounds a little harsh. I mean, would anyone get suspended for passing notes in class? At some point the school got a way to see who was using AIM, and almost an entire class of seventh graders got in trouble. [I don't think they even got detention though. I don't think my school even had detention. "Trouble" is just having the middle school dean come and give a lecture.]